Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1/t56 69 ta vert

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris442
I kinda figured you've have the manual without some sort of engineering degree it'd be impossible to do that type of swap.

You don't have to tell me how annoying it is to not have the cruise. In my Dad's LS7 68 Camaro, it's basically impossible to add with the drive by wire. After we drove from Denver to Reno in one day, I think we were both limping we got there.

I really never drive my car without the traction control on, to be honest. A lot of the 04 owners I know always turn it off because when it kicks on in those cars it will literally push your foot up with the gas pedal. In the LS2 cars with the dbw, that's a nonissue. Does your DIC show traction being off or any ABS warnings? I could definitely see that being a problem here.

If it's something with the BCM, you could always just bypass it. GM has used those type of cruise modules for some time, so I'd bet it would work on it's own. You'd lose the DIC display, though.
Well... that's what I'm thinking. Looking at the schematics to the DIC there were two wires directly connecting the ABS signal and the Tract signal. I was getting an ABS fault and low traction fault. I clipped those wires and the DIC was happy. I still show TRAC OFF on the DIC. Not having the DIC display when the cruise is on is not a deal breaker. When driving the speedo needle always wants to go straight up and that's 80 mph. I wonder why? lol I plan on taking trips with this puppy and the cruise is just a nice thing to have.

Sam

Last edited by SamHatco; 04-20-2010 at 06:51 AM. Reason: sp
Old 04-19-2010, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TAtoad
wickedly cool build
Originally Posted by crosstraining
This is one of the BEST builds I have ever seen! Excellent work
Hey guys, thanks.

Sam
Old 04-20-2010, 06:45 AM
Teching In

HOLY CRAP!! This is one of the most amazing builds I've seen, and the factthat it was home built is inspiring. I am from Australia, and I am planning an LSx swap for my 88 GTA. I had been thinking about using all of the electronics from a late model Commodore, but I wasn't sure if I should use the whole BCM set up, I thought it may not be worth the hassles, but it came out great on your car. When the time comes I may pick your brain a bit mat. BTW there is a factory set of 4 electric windows in Commodores, and they are not too hard to source here. My wifes car has them
Old 04-20-2010, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by van454
HOLY CRAP!! This is one of the most amazing builds I've seen, and the factthat it was home built is inspiring. I am from Australia, and I am planning an LSx swap for my 88 GTA. I had been thinking about using all of the electronics from a late model Commodore, but I wasn't sure if I should use the whole BCM set up, I thought it may not be worth the hassles, but it came out great on your car. When the time comes I may pick your brain a bit mat. BTW there is a factory set of 4 electric windows in Commodores, and they are not too hard to source here. My wifes car has them
Wow, all the way from Australia! Van454 thanks for the complements. Ask away if you run into any issues. I certainly suggest that you get a service manual for the Commodore, it will have the electrical schematics for all the systems. Good luck with your build.

Sam
Old 04-21-2010, 02:46 AM
Staging Lane

Default A little help on the cruise...

Hello Sam... you're a man after my own heart. Awesome effort!!!

I'm putting the VA system in a '68 Camaro Convertible with an '06 GTO LS2 and while I'm not as far along as you are I believe I've figured out the cruise control operation. See posts #13 and 20 on this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ease-help.html

Hope this helps!

Jeff
Old 04-21-2010, 06:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kaptainkw
Hello Sam... you're a man after my own heart. Awesome effort!!!

I'm putting the VA system in a '68 Camaro Convertible with an '06 GTO LS2 and while I'm not as far along as you are I believe I've figured out the cruise control operation. See posts #13 and 20 on this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ease-help.html

Hope this helps!

Jeff
Thanks, Jeff. I have the PIM and Throttle control module wired in. But these posts are more geared towards the VA adaptation to the GTO electronics. I basically wired the VA systems independently from the GTO electronics. I set up a relay systems to have the cooling fans come on with the A/C. VA helped me interface the GTO dash controls with their system, but none of the GTO computers are in the equation.

Sam
Old 04-23-2010, 09:09 AM
Staging Lane

Default Wow!!!

Now that is some impressive work. Love it!! Amazing job! Love the paint treatment on the intake and covers, really sets it off.

I picked me up a wrecked 05 GTO a couple years ago, w/ plans simular to yours but mine will be going into a 67 tempest/GTO clone. I was also going to use the interior and now I see it can be done and now I know someone to answer all my dumb questions.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS2 67GTO
Now that is some impressive work. Love it!! Amazing job! Love the paint treatment on the intake and covers, really sets it off.

I picked me up a wrecked 05 GTO a couple years ago, w/ plans simular to yours but mine will be going into a 67 tempest/GTO clone. I was also going to use the interior and now I see it can be done and now I know someone to answer all my dumb questions.
Hey, no problem. Make sure you get the GM service manual before you start. This will be invaluable when you begin your swap. Good luck and ask away.

Sam
Old 04-23-2010, 03:03 PM
Teching In

this is some amazing work with the dash and all its a work of art my friend
Old 04-23-2010, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1badsc
this is some amazing work with the dash and all its a work of art my friend
1badsc, thanks, I've got a couple of updates coming in the next week or so, so stay tuned.

Sam
Old 04-24-2010, 09:37 AM
Teching In

This is just awesome. The foresight and the planning vision for what you wanted your Firebird to become really shows!

I love the fact that everything looks like it would have come from Pontiac. You should get to know Kwhizz on this site...I am thinking you are a lot alike!

Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend!
Old 05-03-2010, 01:30 AM
On The Tree

It was such a pretty evening that I went for drive and found a good place to take some shots of the car

Sam
Old 05-03-2010, 02:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

beautiful car!
Old 05-07-2010, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

Unbelievable work! That car is inspiring man!
Old 05-07-2010, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TPI TERROR
beautiful car!
Originally Posted by Z 2 L8ter
Unbelievable work! That car is inspiring man!
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the positive comments.

Sam
Old 05-09-2010, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for posting all the pics of such a cool build. Congrats, has to be be one of the best ls swap cars I've seen and as said before, its amazing how much you accomplished in your own garage. Hope you hang on to that car
Old 05-10-2010, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bung01WS6
Thanks for posting all the pics of such a cool build. Congrats, has to be be one of the best ls swap cars I've seen and as said before, its amazing how much you accomplished in your own garage. Hope you hang on to that car
Thanks bung01WS6 for the compliment, and yes she's a keeper. I've wanted a 69 Trans Am (clone or otherwise) since I was 16, when they came out. Not going to let this one go, if I can help it.

Sam
Old 08-18-2010, 03:49 PM
Teching In

what an amazing build!! i've never seen anything like it! you're the man! lol great choice on the interior. thats why i love my GTO so much. a couple things to point out. as van454 mentioned, you can put the commodore window switches in a GTO center console. a friend of mine but them in his GTO or use with nitrous and other stuff since it hides it so well. that would be a good choice and easy to do if you ever want to change it.

as for the cruise control, i had an issue once before with mine where it would be on but would not engage. it turns out that it was the clutch position sensors. there are two sensors and they were not positioned right when my adjustable master cylinder was installed. basically the system was thinking that the clutch was depressed even though i wasnt touching it. a simple fix to adjust the sensor (i think it was sensor B), and it worked fine. that may be your issue if you havent checked that. i didnt actually do it. Tick Performance in Mooresville, NC did so I dont know the details of it. You could probably contact them. lol

again, amazing job on this car. Thats one car I would love to see in person one day! I just still cant get over how well the interior came out, especially with the dash integration and the center section of the rear seats. Good luck with the car!!

Glenn
Old 08-18-2010, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 06M6TorridGTO
what an amazing build!! i've never seen anything like it! you're the man! lol great choice on the interior. thats why i love my GTO so much. a couple things to point out. as van454 mentioned, you can put the commodore window switches in a GTO center console. a friend of mine but them in his GTO or use with nitrous and other stuff since it hides it so well. that would be a good choice and easy to do if you ever want to change it.

as for the cruise control, i had an issue once before with mine where it would be on but would not engage. it turns out that it was the clutch position sensors. there are two sensors and they were not positioned right when my adjustable master cylinder was installed. basically the system was thinking that the clutch was depressed even though i wasnt touching it. a simple fix to adjust the sensor (i think it was sensor B), and it worked fine. that may be your issue if you havent checked that. i didnt actually do it. Tick Performance in Mooresville, NC did so I dont know the details of it. You could probably contact them. lol

again, amazing job on this car. Thats one car I would love to see in person one day! I just still cant get over how well the interior came out, especially with the dash integration and the center section of the rear seats. Good luck with the car!!

Glenn
Thanks, Glenn!! Got the cruise control issue worked out. The cruise cancel circuit was not getting 12v so I used another circuit that was free and viola I got cruise control. Makes life easier on long trips.

Sam
Old 08-18-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

That is one of the coolest things I have ever seen. Wish I had time to do that to my Chevelle. Very very cool.

Quick Reply: Ls1/t56 69 ta vert