Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'64 Chevelle 5.3/4L60E swap build thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 02:38 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 64chevelleSS
I am swapping an ls1 into a 64 Chevelle also, your thread has been extremelly helpful. Was wandering where you got your speed hut guages. I have also been wrestling with the electronic conversion. Keep up the good work.
http://www.speedhut.com
Old 12-30-2011, 02:50 AM
Launching!

Update on the Mast Motorsports pan. That pan was expensive but it sure does get rid of many headaches I had trying to use the truck pan. I can get the engine much lower, which gets rid of interference between the hood and truck intake. This also allows me to use the truck accessory drive as the alternator also clears the hood. Also, by getting the engine lower I got rid of almost all of my tranny tunnel interference issues. The Mast pan is notched on each side in just the right spot to allow for tie rod clearance as well.

Only downside to the mast pan is I cannot figure out how to install the engine and tranny together. With the truck pan this was no problem. I hate having to lift the tranny and bolt it to the engine that is already in the car, but that's what I have to do to get it all in.

The truck exhaust manifolds will not fit on either side, but the 98-02 camaro manifolds fit with no interference. I did have to get a plug for the O2 sensor on the drivers manifold and will put a O2 sensor in the exhaust pipe like the truck motor exhaust had. I also had to get block off plates for the camaro manifolds egr ports.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Launching!

Fuel system is completed at the tank, needs to be finished in the engine bay. Using an external pump with corvette FPR and ran a return line back to the filler neck on the factory tank. Using a returnless fuel rail on the truck intake.

Did the steam vent to the water pump, it turned out good.

Wiring is about 95% complete. Most of what is left is stuff like cruise control, nothing major. The PCM is mounted behind the relays and fuses behind the drivers headlight.

Santa brought me a set of speedhut gauges, but I still havent modified the dash so the will fit. I think it will look much like stock when I get done.

Last edited by neal64ss; 07-24-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:08 AM
Launching!

I got some time tonight to work on the chevelle a bit.

Loosened the frame stands and moved them down and forward as much as possible. I think I got close to the 1/4" extra space I was needing just doing this so I tightened them back up and done with that. The black line is where they were before I started. Its funny how many things like this have "slop" in them that can hurt or help you in an engine conversion.

I then cut the original fuel line right before it goes back in to the frame at the front and went up the firewall with fuel line since the fuel rail inlet is at the back of the engine. This completes the fuel system, all that's left is to check for leaks. My car is an original SS 327 4 speed car so the original fuel line was 3/8 inch to begin with.

Also bent some tranny lines using 90 degree fittings in the 4L60E case. I do not think I could get up to tighten the fittings after the tranny is in place and
got this idea from someone here on LS1tech forum. I hate bending lines but it came out OK.

Next up is to repaint all the under-hood areas I have scuffed up putting engine and tranny in and out of car. Then I will finish the last 8 or 10 wires that need terminating, and put the engine and tranny back in for hopefully the last time. I guess I should probably go ahead and put gas in the tank and test the fuel system also before putting the engine in. Then I think exhaust, radiator install, and gauge install in dash is last thing to do.

I go on a 7 day break (I work 12 hr rotating shifts) this Thursday and would sure like to finish before the break is over.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:22 AM
Teching In

Default wow! did I say wow.

Hey, don't mean to sound like a cheereader, but you have me so pumped.
I have a 64 Chevelle Convertible that I am doin the swap in as soon as I complete the 56 GMC swap, I am about 90% done having shift issues with the freshly built 4L60e . You are the man, please keep posting.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:29 AM
Teching In

Default wow! did I say wow.

Hey, don't mean to sound like a cheereader, but you have me so pumped.
I have a 64 Chevelle Convertible that I am doin the swap in as soon as I complete the 56 GMC swap, I am about 90% done having shift issues with the freshly built 4L60e . You are the man, please keep posting.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:16 PM
Launching!

Believe it or not, posting my progress here and over at team chevelle helps keep me motivated to finish also.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by neal64ss

Also bent some tranny lines using 90 degree fittings in the 4L60E case. I do not think I could get up to tighten the fittings after the tranny is in place and
got this idea from someone here on LS1tech forum. I hate bending lines but it came out OK.

Where can i find those fittings? Do you have a part number on them? What size lines war those?
Old 01-22-2012, 05:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by veltboy618
Where can i find those fittings? Do you have a part number on them? What size lines war those?
The fittings are 90 degree 1/4" npt to 3/8" inverted flare. I bought them here, http://www.valleyhydraulic.com/store...t-110p1547.htm along with several other fittings I may or may not use when I finish up the tranny lines.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to rain on your parade or anything...but are you using high pressure fuel injection hose for your fuel lines? And you may want to consider bending up some stainless lines in the future in case you ever want to take the car to the track and run it. They will boot you with all that rubber line.

Your work is top notch. The transmission line solution is very professional. I can't wait to see the gauges in the car too.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by OldCobraGuy
Not to rain on your parade or anything...but are you using high pressure fuel injection hose for your fuel lines? And you may want to consider bending up some stainless lines in the future in case you ever want to take the car to the track and run it. They will boot you with all that rubber line.

Your work is top notch. The transmission line solution is very professional. I can't wait to see the gauges in the car too.
Thanks for the info about the track rules. Fact is I have no plans to take it to the strip, and haven't even considered those types of issues.

If my plans change later I will need to take care of things like that. I just want to be able to go on a long weekend drive at the moment.

I am off work till next Thursday night. Plan is to finish car by then.

I also can not wait to get the gauges installed, but have committed to not pulling the dash until I at least get the engine and tranny back in. I hope I can adapt them to the factory dash bezel as easy as I think I can.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:12 PM
Launching!

Tested fuel system today by hooking battery straight to the pump and letting it pump from the tank to a gas can. That worked great so I plugged the line to check for leaks under pressure. One leak between the corvette FPR and the engine bay. Will fix that and check again tomorrow.

One thing I also checked is how well the gas comes through the return line. I have the return line in the filler neck and watching fuel return while the system was under pressure did not seem to be what I expected. It looked like it was surging and not near as much flow as what I had out of fuel line when not under pressure. I thought when I plugged the end of the fuel line I would have the same amount of flow back to the tank in the return line.

Does this seem normal to anyone who knows more about FI than me?
Old 01-27-2012, 09:18 AM
TECH Regular

Well, if my physics doesn't fail me, higher pressure means less volume. The surging could be the regulator taking out any pulses, etc. to the fuel rail and sending them back down the return. I think an easy check would be to throw a pressure gauge on the fuel rail and see what it shows. If you have a restriction in the return line somewhere, it should show up there. You may have to have a running engine to completely diagnose that though.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Launching!

Been working off and on on the chevelle the last few days. Fixed the leak on the fuel system and verified it works properly.

Pulled the dash and installed the gauges. Here is a before and after.

Also figured out which belt fits the truck accessory drive with the smaller ford pulley on the power steering pump. It is 91.9 inches in length, but a 91.5 would probably be a better fit. Keep in mind that I am using an alternator that was never intended for this bracket. That might make a difference.

So much for the update. I am at the point that it seems like everything is small stuff now. Figuring out adapters for sensors, mounting the idiot light for check engine, mounting/wiring the data connector terminal, ect.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:48 AM
TECH Regular

Since I live and breath the Crimson Tide...I certainly appreciate your sign on your garage door. SEC Baby!!!!
Old 02-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Staging Lane

Looking good! Keep it up. You are so close!
Old 02-02-2012, 05:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by OldCobraGuy
Since I live and breath the Crimson Tide...I certainly appreciate your sign on your garage door. SEC Baby!!!!
Funny thing, I lived in Tuscaloosa for 3 years in the late 90's. Great place.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:32 PM
Teching In

nice build
Old 02-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Teching In

Very encouraging thread, keep up the good work! I want to see how you like driving it with this engine. I really like the thought of a ls engine in a Chevelle, I thank it would really change how one would drive and apreciate the car. I am saving my money for what I thought was a stroker kit for my big block in my 68 Chevelle, but NOW I just don't know. . . Please keep us posted.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Romansroad828
Very encouraging thread, keep up the good work! I want to see how you like driving it with this engine. I really like the thought of a ls engine in a Chevelle, I thank it would really change how one would drive and apreciate the car. I am saving my money for what I thought was a stroker kit for my big block in my 68 Chevelle, but NOW I just don't know. . . Please keep us posted.
I used to have a 396, so when I get it finished (hopefully soon) I can tell you the comparison between a BBC and a LS motor.

I put in new BBC front springs when I changed to the 396. I think I may need to pull them and put in some lowering springs. Car sits fairly high in the front with the 5.3l engine.

Quick Reply: '64 Chevelle 5.3/4L60E swap build thread