Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

71 Nogo slowly getting a boring lq4/4l80 build

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
That's a fine structure you have going there. What are the plans for the interior?
Insulate, wire, sheetrock it. But that will need to wait until the ground thaws out.

Just clearing up around the car to get started on the car again since I turned the heat on again in the attached garage. Still not 100% sure I like how the motor sits, but may live with it and if I get drivetrain vibration, I will pull the motor and notch the subframe.

Need to remove the washers and make up some spacers the correct thickness under the frame stands, trim the one motor mount, drill two holes on the passengers side, and then finally bolt the motor completely down. Once that is done, it should go pretty decent...... I hope
Old 02-01-2011, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

Nice shop Bill. I know the feeling about slow updates. I finally got out to shop last week for the first time since October. Hopefully in the spring I'll be putting on an addition on my shop. It will be a 'tool area'.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:25 PM
Launching!

Well, finally did something worth updating. I should have done this a long time ago instead of messing around trying to get everything to fit with the factory frame mounts. Decided to make up some that would require no drilling, cutting, modifying of the subframe. All I need to do is stick weld them next week in class, if I can't get it done then I need to find one to borrow. They are only tack welded right now, but was able to put the full weight of motor/tranny on them and I can fit a thin piece of cardboard under the oil pan!

Last edited by billsnogo; 08-13-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well. this is what Hot Rodding is about. Making something work your way ! good job.. don't worry about slow updates. I have not touched my Nova in a while LOL..
Old 04-14-2011, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by billsnogo
They are only tack welded right now, but was able to put the full weight of motor/tranny on them and I can fit a thin piece of cardboard under the oil pan!
I don't mean to rain on the parade or anything, but consider that the engine is going to move around a bit even on poly mounts and you may need more clearance. Do you have the transmission mounted in that picture so the engine & tranny are tilted at the desired install angle? If you raise the tranny any, the front of the engine will come down a bit. You may be just fine - all I'm saying is to check and make sure you're comfortable with the clearances.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
I don't mean to rain on the parade or anything, but consider that the engine is going to move around a bit even on poly mounts and you may need more clearance. Do you have the transmission mounted in that picture so the engine & tranny are tilted at the desired install angle? If you raise the tranny any, the front of the engine will come down a bit. You may be just fine - all I'm saying is to check and make sure you're comfortable with the clearances.
I thought about that, and no big deal as I have spacers I can fit behind the motor mounts to give that little extra, as there is some room for the motor to be lifted without needing to redrill the frame mounts. Final tweaking will not happen until I get the tranny crossmember in and finally bolted down. I want the oil pan close to the frame crossmember to keep the angle acceptable. Still happy though

edit:
Great, now you have me paranoid even though I know it is fine. I could slide a piece of 1/8" plate under the pan, no more than that. It has plenty of clearance on the sides where I would assume it would rock, but right in the center there is a high spot that has only 1/8" of space. REALLY hard to get a good pic of the gap. I have the tranny at the height I want it, which is JUST below 5* down. If I raise it any more, I will need to cut the tunnel as I don't want it right against it.

I promise updates will be a little more frequent

Last edited by billsnogo; 04-14-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good! We have missed ya!
Just in case you have a clearance issue you could make another set of bases to act like a shim and use the current bases as a template instead of spacers. It would give you more contact are and would provide better stability. If you need my welder bring the stands on over. Of course I am in North Carolina, lol! Keep up the good work and glad to have you back.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:45 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah! He's back. I hope your luck improves with the rest!
Old 07-30-2011, 05:42 AM
Teching In

Any updates? Very nice build. Looking forward to reading more on your progress.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:58 AM
Launching!

Sadly, no. Decided to go back to school again, so that and home repairs have sucked up most of my cash and time. I have the mounts all welded up and ready to go in, then need to finish modifying the tranny crossmember, then will start the fuel system. Probably will not be much for updates until this fall
Old 07-30-2011, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

Sadly, no. Decided to go back to school again, so that and home repairs have sucked up most of my cash and time. I have the mounts all welded up and ready to go in, then need to finish modifying the tranny crossmember, then will start the fuel system. Probably will not be much for updates until this fall
Best of luck to you on the home repairs and best of luck in school. As soon as my kids are out on their own I am going back to school. 5 more years and my daughter(youngest kid) will be out of high school so maybe in 7-9 years I can go back.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, got new motivation and back to work on the nogo after getting motivation from LS1nova and his turbo charged beast

Still waiting for the friggin headers from jegs. I am getting pretty ticked after I found out another person on here also had there on backorder from summit, but only had to wait a few days unlike me (looking at 2 months ) so not 100% sure which way to go. Ordered a new f-body pan, but might end up selling it anyways since things are going pretty well with the jzmotorworks pan. Not sure though.

Put an angle finder on the crank pulley and shows about 4-4.5 degrees with the tail downward, and from what I can find, that is acceptable, and will be even less when the car is lowered as it is WAY to high in the front with the big block springs

With three washers under each of the three bolts on the drivers side, and none on the passengers side, with the load plate behind the energy suspensions motor mounts, I get just enough oil pan clearance to not have contact, maybe just enough clearance for the coil to powerbooster, and have the alternator clear the subframe. But I will still need to drill two holes for the frame stand on the passengers side, only one existing hole can be used. Will use all three on the drivers side.

Not only that, it looks like I can use my th400 crossmember, one bolt hole lines up with existing hole, but will need to drill the second.

Unfortunately, the energy suspension tranny mount will not fit, I need a shorter one..... don't know if the factory rubber one is shorter, or will need to cut this one, but still pretty pleased

That, or I will cut out the plate where the mount meets the crossmember and lower it
Are you happy with the th400 crossmember? I am looking for something different.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:03 PM
Launching!

Yep, needs modification, but not much and it is cheap
Old 08-02-2011, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep, needs modification, but not much and it is cheap
Is that the one for the small block or big block?
Old 08-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Launching!

Small block. At the time I bought it (a while ago) they did not make a repo of the big block version, and if they did, I doubt it would be cheap. I think I paid around $60 shipped from tamraz on evilbay.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:11 PM
Launching!

Well, took a break from home repairs and working on the new garage and had some short, but quality time with the nogo. I have had the frame mounts welded up since the middle of April, but never installed them, only painted them. Decided to install them and see if I measured things correctly.

Could not be any happier, plenty of clearance under the oil pan. Should have just made my own from the start

Engine angle just below 5*, and when I lower the front, should be even less. Next up is finishing the tranny crossmember, then the fuel system with those very stubborn plastic lines and fittings

Been throwing around the idea of doing something stupid and trying to use 98+ blazer gauges, just not sure how much of a headache it would be.

that is all for now.....
Old 08-14-2011, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Should have just made my own from the start
At least it only took a year to get it figured out
Old 08-14-2011, 08:04 PM
Launching!

Got the tranny x-member set up in the car. Drilled two holes in the frame per side, three new holes in the crossmember, and everything fit pretty good.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good going on the X-Member.. how is your clearance between the x-member and the trans around the corner of the pan. When I put a TH400 x-member it was too close for my liking and I am now cutting up and modifying my TH400 x-member..??
Old 08-14-2011, 08:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bczee
Good going on the X-Member.. how is your clearance between the x-member and the trans around the corner of the pan. When I put a TH400 x-member it was too close for my liking and I am now cutting up and modifying my TH400 x-member..??
If my motor had been right at the firewall like many others with the setback plates, it would not have worked as the bolt on the tailhousing hits the crossmember. My motor has to be around the standard non-setback plates would put the motor so it JUST clears.

Quick Reply: 71 Nogo slowly getting a boring lq4/4l80 build