Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want a build thread too....'63 Chevy II Wagon.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good. Gotta love the CNC plasma table! Best thing I ever bought.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Man that's looking real good. You got my wheels turning on the air box....

Re: the dipstick, I have heard that a 700R4 dipstick will work, just never tried one, just a thought......

You know you could make those mounts and crossmember and sell a few.....

Great job...

T,
Old 11-11-2010, 02:12 PM
Staging Lane

Looks Awesome! With the stock front end and upgrades the LS looks like it was there back in 1963. Very nice work, keep the update photos coming.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That was the intention I was offered a TCI clip in exchange for the CBR frontend/stock clip, but I chose to stick with the stock clip for originality..I think it will look real nice when the car is painted and the engine bay is restored.

Thanks for all the comments! I appreciate them. Tonight the engine harness will get laid on the engine and get some of the routing figured out.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:21 AM
Staging Lane

Great job on the swap. The engine mounts and crossmember look great. I like the look of the stock front end with the LS engine. I'm hoping to begin an LSx swap on my 66 Nova in the not too distant future, and plan to keep the shock towers.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Teching In

Are willing to make me a set of those engine mounts? If so how much?
Old 01-01-2011, 07:13 AM
12 Second Club

Sorry bowtie, I cant produce and sell sets.

I haven't had an update is a looong time..mainly due to an unheated garage But here's a little more progress...

The car was put back on the ground to move it over and open up a garage spot for the winter (GF ). Cars always seem really low after having them up on jackstands for a month.

Once the temps dropped, it really became just collecting parts until it gets warmer. This is the FR 33" column with neutral safety, a power rack from CBR, a set of new tie rod ends, and the correct Borgeson for the rack. The FR column takes a different joint than the Ididit (1" DD vs. 36 spline), so that will be next on the list.

I had to put the column in quick just to check a few things and get an idea of the shifter linkage. With some minor tweaking of the shift linkage lever, it should clear the header tube and be a straight shot to the lever on the transmission. Please excuse the disaster of an interior that it currently has lol. Once the blue is stripped and it's back to factory colors, I think the column is going to look really nice in there painted to match. I'm also planning to adapt factory shifter and signal/tilt levers to give it a more original appearance.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:36 AM
12 Second Club

And last, a full set of NOS 63 wagon 400 trim. This will be stored along with the seats until needed...which is probably several years from now

These pics are just to give some ideas for a color. Winter is boring. I was thinking some type of brown/carmel but have yet to find the right shade. House of Kolor has an interesting Root Beer color and I think I would not do a white roof. The roof rack would stay.

This truck is what gave me the idea...but still not sure...

Realistically I'm leaning towards green...I've always liked this color and the wheels just make the car.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:56 AM
Launching!

Good work !! can't wait to see your nova SW runs again.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

One thing to check before you commit to the column linkage. It appears that the column is through the firewall too far, it might need to come back. Having the column too far, will push the DD shaft forward, and cause interference with the motor stand. I made this mistake on mine, and had to notch the motor stand, if I would have pulled it back 1", it would have cleared...

Looking good though, that LS motor looks right at home in there......

T,
Old 01-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Staging Lane

I had to put the column in quick just to check a few things and get an idea of the shifter linkage. With some minor tweaking of the shift linkage lever, it should clear the header tube and be a straight shot to the lever on the transmission. Please excuse the disaster of an interior that it currently has lol. Once the blue is stripped and it's back to factory colors, I think the column is going to look really nice in there painted to match. I'm also planning to adapt factory shifter and signal/tilt levers to give it a more original appearance.

[/QUOTE]

Mike take a look at this attachment. This is how I have the shift linkage routed on the Chuck Wagon. It will allow you to put the column shift bracket on the opposite side of the column. There are 2 existing holes in the sub frame for you to route a cable thru, it needs to be opened up to 1/2

Old 01-01-2011, 09:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

99SSleeper

Great job dude ! I dig the satin black eng. compartments too. Very clean.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:09 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TomM
One thing to check before you commit to the column linkage. It appears that the column is through the firewall too far, it might need to come back. Having the column too far, will push the DD shaft forward, and cause interference with the motor stand. I made this mistake on mine, and had to notch the motor stand, if I would have pulled it back 1", it would have cleared...

Looking good though, that LS motor looks right at home in there......

T,
Thanks Tom. Thats one thing I still need to check..I was wondering if the joint would be too far forward. The one issue with pulling the column farther back is interference between the NSS and the brake pedal arm. They are really close on mine, but maybe if it's pulled back an inch the NSS would be in front of the brake pedal arm rather than behind it. It's another thing I havent had time to check and see what the options are.

Originally Posted by 67 church
Mike take a look at this attachment. This is how I have the shift linkage routed on the Chuck Wagon. It will allow you to put the column shift bracket on the opposite side of the column. There are 2 existing holes in the sub frame for you to route a cable thru, it needs to be opened up to 1/2
Thanks for the pics! I like that setup rather than going out the fender towards the wheel then down and around. I'll have to look into that more. There's a lot of things I like about that setup..mostly that the cable is on the ouside of the subframe rail so the bend radius isnt so tight. I've been drawing up linkages and cable/rod assemblies but that looks simple and if no extra holes have to be drilled then I'm all for it

Do you happen to know what the center-to-center distance is of that linkage arm is? Is that the FR offset arm or one you guys made? Also, whats the cost of the lower column plates you're making? I like them!

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
99SSleeper

Great job dude ! I dig the satin black eng. compartments too. Very clean.
Thanks Jimbo...I'm looking forward to the restoration, getting the body done, interior in, and engine bay/underside blasted and repainted. For now the goal is just to get it on the street and drive it!

Last edited by 99ssleeper; 01-01-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

I don't recall the center to center distance. I kept it the same as the shift linkage. The bend on mine is a bit different than what would be on yours as I have the ididit column and it is a lot shorter than what F.R. sold you???

Our floor support brackets are....(PM sent) and comes with a gasket and nice stainless band clamp.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 67 church
I don't recall the center to center distance. I kept it the same as the shift linkage. The bend on mine is a bit different than what would be on yours as I have the ididit column and it is a lot shorter than what F.R. sold you???

Our floor support brackets are....(PM sent) and comes with a gasket and nice stainless band clamp.
I went with the FR 33" because it was a really good deal and included the neutral safety switch...I found it new for 399 vs 600 anywhere else. So I decided to make it work and save the $ for other things. And it looks like it will, it just takes a little thinking.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

How did I miss your thread? Looks awesome! Just spent an hour looking at everything. I just ordered a pair of the CBR headers from Chuck yesterday... they look bitchin' on your nova! How do you like them?

I saw you were using Pro-E software on your mounts. Pretty good program? I've only used SolidWorks in the past.

I'll definitely check back on your build. Cool wagon!
Old 01-02-2011, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweet build!
Old 01-03-2011, 07:33 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NovaKid
How did I miss your thread? Looks awesome! Just spent an hour looking at everything. I just ordered a pair of the CBR headers from Chuck yesterday... they look bitchin' on your nova! How do you like them?

I saw you were using Pro-E software on your mounts. Pretty good program? I've only used SolidWorks in the past.

I'll definitely check back on your build. Cool wagon!
The headers are great, it's one of those parts that it just pays to pay for rather than trying to figure out how to make something else work. And yes, ProE is great...I haven't used it in about 6 years so I asked my brother to do it...he's much quicker.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Thumbs up NICE 63 Wagon

Very nice job! I love the Wagon!

That LS looks right at home in there.I like how nice & neat your doing everything.Can't wait to see more updates.My buddy Adam with a LS in a Monte Carlo turned me on to this thread.I'm a Wagon lover too!Have any white/cream colored door panels your not gonna use?

Last edited by BENCHSEATRACIN; 01-03-2011 at 11:55 AM. Reason: edit
Old 01-05-2011, 03:49 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry Benchseat, no door panels. Originals are very few and far between!

Quick Reply: I want a build thread too....'63 Chevy II Wagon.