Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeep YJ 5.3L swap (completed)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 09:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like the truck manifolds won't fit. The passenger side will work as long as the engine is centered but the driver side is going to need more than 7 degrees of a fly cut on the flange to give enough clearance.

Looks like I'm going to need a set of Camaro or Corvette manifolds.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 216 Posts

I did the Speedway LS1 headers that dump in the middle of the block.

Fairly cheap and don't angle back if you want route the left exhaust around the front of the oil pan.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Docked Wage
Looks like the truck manifolds won't fit. The passenger side will work as long as the engine is centered but the driver side is going to need more than 7 degrees of a fly cut on the flange to give enough clearance.

Looks like I'm going to need a set of Camaro or Corvette manifolds.

Take a look at the pirate 5.3 swap thread. It has TONS of info on the swap. It has helped me from learning things the hard way. I have seen the truck headers used once, but they had to make a sharp 90* turn to get them inside the frame rails. Hence the reason many go with the sanderson headers, the hooker shorties, or the vette headers like I posted on the last page. Mine were less than the cost of one aftermarket header.

BTW, my Novak mounts let me offset the motor at least an inch to the pass. side of the frame.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Got a lucky break. (for a change)

I looked at the Speedway Headers and even called their tech line with a couple of questions. I was just about ready to order a set when I thought to search fleabay and craigslist for some C6 Corvette Exhaust Manifolds.

Low and behold, on CL a guy had a set of C6 Manifolds with bolts and heat shields for $80.00 about 4 miles from my house. I called and within 1/2 hour I was dragging them home.

They are a perfect fit after I clearanced the top edge of the engine mounts on both sides.

Since I prefer factory parts for durability, I'm happy I got the manifolds and even happier with the price.

Thanks for the guidance!
Attached Thumbnails Jeep YJ 5.3L swap (completed)-c6-driver-side.jpg   Jeep YJ 5.3L swap (completed)-c6-pass-side.jpg  
Old 03-30-2011, 05:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I now have a rolling chassis....
Attached Thumbnails Jeep YJ 5.3L swap (completed)-rolling-chassis.jpg  
Old 03-30-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looking good man keep posting updates
Old 03-31-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

I decided to get rid of the factory skid plate and build a crossmember instead. The Rivnuts in the frame have been a constant headache and the skid plate was pretty rotten.

The nice thing about doing it this way was it was a lot easier for me to set up the driveline angle at the recommended 5 degrees.

Total cost was $30.00 and about 3 hours of cutting drilling and some welding.

Once I'm done with the exhaust system I'll weld some 3/16 plate on my new crossmember so it's a skid plate again.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Staging Lane

I have a Jeep TJ, Genright tank, LS6, NO return rail. I also have used the stock TJ fuel pump configuration, with the Walbro 255 lph pump. The stock regulator for the TJ is now my "issue"? Can I buy a different TJ style drop in regulator or "open up the stock regulator" install the Vette filter regulator and put a return line to the tank? Help, want to do this soon
Old 04-03-2011, 06:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here's how I'm doing mine:

1. From a 255 lph in tank pump with a short line to the corvette fuel filter/regulator inlet. (Mine will be mounted on the frame rail back by the tank)

2. A short line out of the return side of the corvette fuel filter/regulator back to the tank.

3. Then a 3/8 line from the corvette fuel filter/regulator to the inlet of the fuel rail.

You need to bypass the Jeep regulator and maybe even the stock 5/16 feed line too. Basically, no Jeep parts in the fuel system at all other than the fuel lines that come up out of the tank.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's what I did.

Made a plate out of mild steel same diameter as the stock pump.

Modded the jeep fuel canister and added the 255 Walbro.

Welded the -6 fittings in the top.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Forgot the pics.

As I looked closer I used bulk head -6 fitting with a barbed head adapter for the fuel lines.

Make sure you use imersion type fuel line.
Attached Thumbnails Jeep YJ 5.3L swap (completed)-dscf0453.jpg   Jeep YJ 5.3L swap (completed)-dscf0454.jpg   Jeep YJ 5.3L swap (completed)-dscf0456.jpg   Jeep YJ 5.3L swap (completed)-dscf0457.jpg  
Old 04-03-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got a lot done this weekend. Here's a shot of the body decked to the frame.

My daughter was the site superintendent and helped me guide the body back on. She's excited to take the pictures to the next "Show & Tell" in her kindergarten class.

Oh yea, and she did the work in the pink tu tu.
Attached Thumbnails Jeep YJ 5.3L swap (completed)-body-back-frame.jpg  
Old 04-03-2011, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

FWIW for anyone considering this swap...

I was able to place the engine trans and transfercase combo such that the driveshafts were able to be reused without modifying them. In addition, by centering and positioning the engine based on driveshafts the steering shaft clears the power steering pump and pulley just fine.

Also there is plenty of room between the back of the 5.3 engine and firewall since there's no distributor to deal with.

As soon as I get a good pic, I'll post.

Last edited by Docked Wage; 04-03-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1 TJ
Forgot the pics.

As I looked closer I used bulk head -6 fitting with a barbed head adapter for the fuel lines.

Make sure you use imersion type fuel line.
Thanks alot. You have given me the inspiration to probaly follow your example. I really apreciate it
Old 04-04-2011, 12:10 AM
Staging Lane

I was able to place the engine trans and transfercase combo such that the driveshafts were able to be reused without modifying them. In addition, by centering and positioning the engine based on driveshafts the steering shaft clears the power steering pump and pulley just fine.

Also there is plenty of room between the back of the 5.3 engine and firewall since there's no distributor to deal with.

Your project is coming along nicley. Your posts have been a help. Thanks again
Old 04-04-2011, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

Are you using the YJ transmission crossmemeber, or custom? Ill be interested in seeing your pictures.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

I could have used the YJ Crossmember but after sandblasting mine proved to be pretty rotten. To top things off the 3 of the rivnuts in the frame are spinning so getting a bolt started and tightened is a long shot.

Since I don't plan on climbing rocks anytime soon I built a quick crossmember "Trailer Hitch" Style. It's pretty ugly but it's temporary until I can fix the rivnuts and do the major repairs on the old plate.

Here you can see where the chevy trans mount holes need to be on the Jeep plate marked with green paint.

In this position, the rear seal of the transfer case rides in the same place on the original driveshaft yoke. If I used the holes just behind the green marks the seal moved back on the yoke 1/4". I was not sure if that would be ok so I moved everything forward so the transfer case output shaft was exactly (Fore/Aft, Right/Left, Up/Down) where it was originally.

Make sure to mark the seal position on the Yoke before disassembling the old powertrain otherwise you need to look at the yoke very carefully to see where the seal spends the most time.
Attached Thumbnails Jeep YJ 5.3L swap (completed)-skid-plate.jpg   Jeep YJ 5.3L swap (completed)-overhead-chassis.jpg  

Last edited by Docked Wage; 04-04-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

So with the transfer case in it's original position here are some clearance pics to the Firewall, Right Frame Rail and Left Frame Rail.

Note that when I replaced the body mounts, I used a 1" Lift Urethane Mount set. Since I want to step up to 35" tires the additional lift works for me but the 1" lift is not needed for engine clearance from what I can see.

I do not have a shot with the Steering Shaft in place because I decided to replace mine and am waiting for it to arrive. The original fit just fine but it had a couple of binding joints so it's in the scrap pile. As soon as the new one arrives I'll get it on and post a pic.
Attached Thumbnails Jeep YJ 5.3L swap (completed)-driver-side-clearance.jpg   Jeep YJ 5.3L swap (completed)-firewall-clearance.jpg   Jeep YJ 5.3L swap (completed)-pass-side-clearance.jpg  
Old 04-04-2011, 11:13 PM
Teching In

looks like its coming along great keep it up.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Anyone know where I can get flanges and a chunk of pipe to mate to the C6 Corvette manifolds?

Quick Reply: Jeep YJ 5.3L swap (completed)