Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969 GTO Judge Clone LQ4 turbo 4L60e

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 12:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't been on here for a while and it looks like I've missed a lot! The car looks great. Congrats on the Car Craft article and Drag Week. Even though you built the car for yourself, its nice to get some recognition now and then!
Old 05-30-2015, 03:48 PM
Launching!

This is the coolest build I've come across, always wanted a judge, but to take it and so this to it is amazing
Old 04-26-2016, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This thread needs an update!
Old 04-26-2016, 08:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lownfast
Storms are coming and its tucked away safe in the garage lol

I'll have to look at what was posted last and I'll reply in a minute
Old 04-26-2016, 09:15 PM
TECH Regular

Ok soooo I guess some stuff has happen since my last update

I upgraded the fuel system to an aeromotive phantom in tank set up. Bigger fuel line feed and return and new fuel rails

Put it on the dyno to turn up the boost and it wouldn't increase boost (I used the poor mans Home Depot "boost controller" ). I left disappointed because we couldn't turn it up

I went straight to johns out and we re routed the vaccine lines on the controller and waste gate and got it to make more boost ---- of you have to do this, something isn't right, but I did it anyway
It made more boost 18 total and pulled HARDDDD

So off to Drag Week 2015 we go

Sunday, Tech and test day was fairly uneventful. I did have to do some cutting on the rear fenders because the Pro's were rubbing.
Made a few partial passes but something just wasn't right. I could hear it pinging but the A/F looked fine

We made a few changes and made another partial pass and then decided to worry about it on day one

Day one rolls around and we make a couple passes and aborted all of them because of the pinging. But it was making some good 1/8 times. Picked up quite a bit since the upgrades and more boost

Finally I needed to make a full pass to get a timeslip so we could get on the road and mess with it the next day

Well the full pass was the last pass

After the 1/8 it let the magic out via both head gaskets and heads

It was late in the day and since I don't have stock thickness head gaskets I decided to put it on the trailer and leave it at the track and just follow the rest of the week in my truck

We got back and I was deflated and let it sit for a few months

We thought it was just he drivers head so we pulled it and the cometic gasket was blown and the head was torched

We replaced the gasket and got another stock 317 head and slapped it back together

Went to start it up and water was being pushed out of the radiator...... ****!

So I pulled the turbo stuff off and pulled the passenger head off and low and behold it was toast too....

Luckily I bought a set of heads so I ordered another head gasket and put it all back together with the new head

Started it up and it smoked like a freight train but seems to be running fine so we went for a drive around the neighborhood and stopped at the gas station and it seemed to be easing up a little on the smoke so we jumped on the highway and went for a drive

It was running great. We had turned the boost down to about 10psi and it felt good By the time we got back to the house there was no smoke

We decided it had to be the back pressure from my home made log set up. It worked fine at 10psi but didn't like 18psi

So I jumped online and bought some twin turbo manifolds and decided I was upgrading yet again. I got the manifolds and they look awesome. But my car is running fine and I really want to drive it instead of tearing it apart and spending thousands of dollars to go twins just to cause a limited time problem. I can put it at 10 and enjoy the hell out of the car now. Or I can pull it apart. Spend a bunch of money and the couple times a year I want to race it will be faster.... But I drive the car a lot more than I race it It's a fun street car but it's not FAST The guys I run with have 8 second cars. My little 10.0 (hopefully) car isn't going to come close to hanging with them so I can leave it a 10.80 ish car and enjoy it NOW

Sooo I've decided I'm going to sell the twin turbo headers and just enjoy the car Maybe I'll change something later but honestly I probably won't. Down the road I may buy another car (lighter car) and build some thing but for now I'm just going to enjoy what I have
Old 04-26-2016, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

Old 04-26-2016, 09:25 PM
TECH Regular

Left to right. James Karger (LSTuner.com). John Dodson, Jason Doisher, me

Aeromotive dual 340 phantom setup. Very nice stuff

Old 04-27-2016, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great update man. Shoot me a price on the turbo headers. My Lemans is going back under the knife when I ditch the C5 accessories.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:08 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very cool build. I think you made a good decision to leave the car close to it's current configuration. Looks like a fun reliable street car.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

2165 Turbo Rail,
Where did you get the boots on the Aeromotive "hat"? Are they Aeromotive? Do they supply them with the hat/pump?

thanks,
Jim

Last edited by Jimbo1367; 04-30-2016 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:34 AM
TECH Regular

Well guys, I have an update.....

I haven't driven the car much in the last 3 years (about 1100 miles) so I decided to sell it. I sold it on June 19th to a young guy in KS
*****but wait, there's more!****

on Sept 1st, he sent me the following pics. soooooo.... a lot of build threads don't ever END.... well this one does have a very unhappy ending....

Old 09-24-2018, 10:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man that sucks. Looks like a scene from Christine. Any idea what the culprit was?
Old 09-24-2018, 10:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

WOW....sad to see. I would also be curious to know what happened.

Andrew
Old 09-24-2018, 01:28 PM
TECH Regular

yea..... me too
Old 09-24-2018, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

By the looks of the damage it looks like it was from the firewall back area. Most of the engine and hoses are intact up front, and from the first picture you can see the flames on the ground...... trans fluid???
Old 09-24-2018, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,023 Likes on 2,354 Posts

That first pic looks like an explosion, unless the flames were that big. Bummer!
Old 09-24-2018, 08:04 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Holy hell, that’s one heck of an update.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Damnit!! didn't know it was for sale. Kinda looks like the endura is still ok. Tranny fluid usually doesn't burn that fast. Did he ask if you offer any Warrenty?
Bummer rip gto
Old 09-25-2018, 07:41 AM
Teching In

What a shame! This was one of my favorite builds. One of the first musclecars I ever rode in was a GTO Judge that belonged to my older sister's boyfriend, probably around 1970. Always loved those cars, and I thought you did a great job bringing this one into the LS era.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:41 AM
TECH Regular

The explanation I received (and keep in mind this is a young guy (so y/o) that is a car guy, but not a mechanic type guy

he'd told me that it was tapping... then he said it was a knock after having his grandpa look at it they said it had a broken piston (but was still running and driving and he drove it home etc)... keep in mind this was the fully build short block with forged pistons/rods/crank and was tuned VERY conservatively the week before I sold it to him (tuned on 91, removed the meth system etc)

a few days after his grandpa diagnosed it with a broken piston he decided to drive it from his house to his shop about 1am (he works nights so this was normal for him to be active at night when he's off work)
he made is about a mile from his house and the car stopped running. He went to pop the hood and it was a 50 mph gust of wind that night going from the front of the car towards the back.
right when he popped the first latch he heard something hissing and then exploded of the pass side of the engine. The wind pushed the fire towards the back of the car.

The wind would explain the front of the car not being burnt like the rest of the car.

I wish I could see it in person so i can look it all over to see if maybe he threw a rod and that started the fire or if something on the fuel line was loose etc... we will never know I'm sure.... sucks

here is the link to the insurance auction that has some day time pics
https://www.iaai.com/vehicle?itemID=...oadRecent=True

Quick Reply: 1969 GTO Judge Clone LQ4 turbo 4L60e