Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New mechanical speedometer drive solution

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 02:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No updates from dude in a year. Did Dakota digitals new cable drive kill his product? Is this still happening?
Old 05-20-2015, 06:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

I have the Dakota digital stuff hooked up but not working just yet. Ill update when my speed o is working
Old 06-11-2015, 12:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

This is something new they came out with.should be a direct hook up.
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd916.htm

I used the sn1-01 and sgi 5e from Dakota digital and got mine working. If you change tire size often and need to adjust speed on the fly,the route i took os easy.
if you have efi live or want a tuner to set it and forget it then the sn 1-128 is the way to go.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kwhizz
Here you go.........Dakota Digital just came out with a unit

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd886.htm

Ken

I knew I would find what I needed here on LS1 tech using the SEARCH function.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:19 PM
Teching In

Holy crap. Read this entire post with hopes of having my gauge work with factory faceplate for reasonable price and find nothing since 2014. This makes me very sad...
Old 07-14-2018, 05:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 463 Likes on 349 Posts

Put one of these in mine a few months ago - working perfectly. An accurate speedo without having to worry about changing anything when I change driveline or tire size.

https://www.classicautoinnovations.com/classic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...onversion.html
Old 07-14-2018, 06:12 AM
Teching In

I meant to post this on the previous thread on mobile device. Zipster and another guy were working on a solution to mount directly to the rear of the speedometer that was slated to be about half the price of these units (cable x, speedbox, dakota digital box). I am now on the hunt for a speedometer that I can use the mechanism from, I'd like a donor where the odometer is in the approximate correct position because i'd like that to function as well. I have found a few options scouring the web but some of those vehicles are becoming scarce.

Edit. I'm sorry I seam to be having some major problems on mobile (it's me not web site) with posting to the correct thread. Lol

​​​​​

Last edited by ChromeDaddy0; 07-14-2018 at 06:26 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by ChromeDaddy0
I meant to post this on the previous thread on mobile device. Zipster and another guy were working on a solution to mount directly to the rear of the speedometer that was slated to be about half the price of these units (cable x, speedbox, dakota digital box). I am now on the hunt for a speedometer that I can use the mechanism from, I'd like a donor where the odometer is in the approximate correct position because i'd like that to function as well. I have found a few options scouring the web but some of those vehicles are becoming scarce.

Edit. I'm sorry I seam to be having some major problems on mobile (it's me not web site) with posting to the correct thread. Lol

​​​​​
What kind of speedo are you working with????
Old 08-25-2020, 12:43 PM
Teching In

I just subscribed because of this thread. I think it's awesome so many people have come together in one location to share such an idea as converting a signal for speedo control. I'm working on my 66 C-10 with FiTech EFI for injection and US-Shift for Trans control. I see a lot of interest in the motorized control of the mechanical speedometer. I think this is cool and a great option, but it's being offered by many. I am personally interested in building a stepper controlled needle that mounts in place of my mechanical speedometer. There was some talk of this and I may need to go back through and poke at people individually, but I'm very curious if anyone got a working protype for stepper controlled speedo. Since I have the US-shift controller, I'll start there and use the signal from that to try and convert. US-shift will handle the scaling for me, so I will try and focus on converting this to stepper control, scaling the mechanical range to my 66 C-10 and mounting. That's a big order. I would love to hear if anyone else got somewhere on this style of mod and any continued interest in this type of conversion.
Thanks
Old 08-25-2020, 06:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Oldinvestor
I just subscribed because of this thread. I think it's awesome so many people have come together in one location to share such an idea as converting a signal for speedo control. I'm working on my 66 C-10 with FiTech EFI for injection and US-Shift for Trans control. I see a lot of interest in the motorized control of the mechanical speedometer. I think this is cool and a great option, but it's being offered by many. I am personally interested in building a stepper controlled needle that mounts in place of my mechanical speedometer. There was some talk of this and I may need to go back through and poke at people individually, but I'm very curious if anyone got a working protype for stepper controlled speedo. Since I have the US-shift controller, I'll start there and use the signal from that to try and convert. US-shift will handle the scaling for me, so I will try and focus on converting this to stepper control, scaling the mechanical range to my 66 C-10 and mounting. That's a big order. I would love to hear if anyone else got somewhere on this style of mod and any continued interest in this type of conversion.
Thanks
The stepper motor for the speedo is the easy part, the difficult part is making an odometer that will work with it. I've done several conversions using original GM electric speedo internal parts and they work good if you can package them right.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:58 AM
Teching In

I've seen a couple of your builds now. Great work. I like this route using the 90s ish, and I understand what you're saying about this scaling on the stepper ratio of the displayed speed vs the odometer. I don't think I would be able to match the 66, since it is not a wrap around style speedometer. I would like to see if I have it in me to build something from scratch. It takes a lot to do these builds, and I know it takes that much more to share every step. Thanks for that. If I get any traction, I'll post it here. Right now I'm just trying to determine who is using inductive and who is using hall effect on the tail shaft. So far, what I've found online is mostly that both are used, most 2 wire are inductive, and most 3 wire are hall effect. I'd like to find out from some vendors to see if their speedometers are capable of working with inductive and hall effect, if I'm way off base.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:40 AM
TECH Veteran

I've seen a couple of your builds now. Great work. I like this route using the 90s ish, and I understand what you're saying about this scaling on the stepper ratio of the displayed speed vs the odometer. I don't think I would be able to match the 66, since it is not a wrap around style speedometer. I would like to see if I have it in me to build something from scratch. It takes a lot to do these builds, and I know it takes that much more to share every step. Thanks for that. If I get any traction, I'll post it here. Right now I'm just trying to determine who is using inductive and who is using hall effect on the tail shaft. So far, what I've found online is mostly that both are used, most 2 wire are inductive, and most 3 wire are hall effect. I'd like to find out from some vendors to see if their speedometers are capable of working with inductive and hall effect, if I'm way off base.
A speedometer out of a 1992 Caprice is close. I have one i was going to try and use for my Nova and maybe my '84 LTD, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
The following users liked this post:
Oldinvestor (08-28-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 07:55 AM
Teching In

Hmm, I replied the other day and didn't get posted some how. oh well. This looks like an excellent option. I could use both the speedometer and odometer. The visual scaling looks ideal. Thanks. I'm going to test a couple of ideas for building my own. I'll post here if I get anywhere with them. One of them is to see if a cheap ignition module will convert the inductive signal from the transmission into one I can use for a velocio plc. velocio PLCs are power by 5V (simple phone charger or they have a regulator for $20), and I know the velocio will drive a hobby servo motor with PWM, and the servo has closed loop built in. If it works, it will just be a matter of durability (which brand of servo to install to last). The velocio also has relay modules so I can do some other stuff I want to try out as well.
Old 08-29-2020, 03:27 PM
Teching In

I think I've got a usable input signal to my controller. Tested it today, here's the video

Old 09-10-2020, 06:35 AM
Teching In

I have learned a tremendous amount in the little time I get each day. I have questions for everyone here. I would like to get responses, even if you don't like my approach. First, I've studied some about the stepper world and X25, X27, VID29, and other stepper motors. There's a... not a data sheet really, more of a data brochure, here https://store.minitools.com/media/pd...-datasheet.pdf It is a short comparison of the motors. I believe the X63 has a clear plastic shaft that can be LED backlit to illuminate the speedo needle if you go that route. My focus is still to try and use the factory manufacturer's needle and drill it out to press it on the shaft of maybe the high torque X65 if necessary. I have found a number of chips for driving these stepper motors. I have also found a prototyping facility for the PCB (printed circuit board) to mount these devices and even have a method for mounting it all in place of the mechanical drive of the original speedometer of my truck. This method will most likely work for other makes and models with relative ease. The scaling needed to make it easy for users to set up will be relatively easy.

MY FIRST QUESTION: Is a LCD, LED, or VFD (vacuum fluorescent display, not variable frequency drive) a deal breaker? So assuming I offer a kit to gut your mechanical drive/offer the classic speedometer with the new components installed/refurb your existing unit, would it be upsetting to have a digital odometer? is that a deal breaker?

Question 2: would you be willing to pay extra for the mechanical style odometer to continue to function?

I've got so much more to cover. I'm really needing to find out more about who is interested in what. Right now I'm focused on a kit that you remove the mechanical guts from your speedometer; then with a couple screws, place the upgrade within your existing speedo and put the needle on it (with video instructions). The wires that would connect to the transmission or transmission controller or ECM would come out the back of the speedo where the mechanical drive came out.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:35 AM
Staging Lane

I read this whole thread. I want to keep my original mechanical speedometer and odometer and use the VSS signal off my 4l60e. It looks like the only way to do that is by using the OneX (think that's what it's called). I talked to the classic innovations about the box he used to make, but he said he can't male them anymore due to the tariffs..(which makes no sense to me, but whatever).. I even offered to pay more and he said No.
has anyone ever use the other system?
Old 09-10-2020, 10:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Interesting to see this thread. When I was running stock gauges in my squarebody swap, I made this unit to drive the speedo. It clips in place like the stock cable does and uses a stepper motor to drive the speedo. I made an arduino based unit to read the 4000ppm signal from the PCM and to drive the stepper motor.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:31 AM
Teching In

This looks great. Did you build your own Hbridge or use a mircostepping breakout board?

I'm still going to try microstepping my needle and building a PCB that will mount to the speedo bracket inside the cluster for my truck. I've got a ways to go, but working in the right direction.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Lightn95
I read this whole thread. I want to keep my original mechanical speedometer and odometer and use the VSS signal off my 4l60e. It looks like the only way to do that is by using the OneX (think that's what it's called). I talked to the classic innovations about the box he used to make, but he said he can't male them anymore due to the tariffs..(which makes no sense to me, but whatever).. I even offered to pay more and he said No.
has anyone ever use the other system?
There are a few of the motor in a box style that drive your cable. I know Jegs has put their name on one and Dakota digital has one. Seems like some of them are using GPS to drive them now as an option.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:36 AM
Staging Lane

There are a few of the motor in a box style that drive your cable. I know Jegs has put their name on one and Dakota digital has one. Seems like some of them are using GPS to drive them now as an option.
I'm fine with GPS to drive it. I just want my speedo to work. Do you have a link to any of them?

Quick Reply: New mechanical speedometer drive solution