Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Built For Mileage - need input

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Built For Mileage - need input

ok i have a 3rd gen Camaro, carb'd 305 with a 700R4 and 3.23 gears. car weighs ~3300

what engine/trans/rear combo would get me ~22-24 mpg city and ~30 or more highway.

^^ or as close to that as possible

i'm open to any GM engine (minus the iron duke). turbo a 4.3L? turbo the 5.0L? a turbo'd ecotec motor from a cobalt?

i'd probably swap in a M6 whichever route i take.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:55 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock LS1 and a T56 in my 98' got me 34mpg with 3.25 gears
Old 03-29-2011, 08:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

thats highway? what was city driving like? that will probably be most of my tank.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My stock 02 ss gets about that in town but not that high on highway only about 26-28
Old 03-29-2011, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fahrenschnell
Stock LS1 and a T56 in my 98' got me 34mpg with 3.25 gears
+1
swap in an ls1/T56 and you should achieve your gas mileage goals. You can also take some weight out of the car, that will help with gas mileage as well. Other mods that should help you is full exhaust, intake, underdrive pulley, and a good tune. Your car should be allot lighter then a 4th gen after an ls1 swap.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:04 AM
On The Tree

How about a 5.3 with Active Fuel Management and an a6 behind it? If I can average >20 mpg on a trip to Los Angeles and back in my Silverado you should get killer mileage with it. Never heard of anyone using it in a swap though, don't know how difficult it is for programming and all that.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Black&White
How about a 5.3 with Active Fuel Management and an a6 behind it? If I can average >20 mpg on a trip to Los Angeles and back in my Silverado you should get killer mileage with it. Never heard of anyone using it in a swap though, don't know how difficult it is for programming and all that.
are those A6s common to come by? i dont know if i've ever seen one for sale

the Active Fuel Management, is that the flex fuel? or what the L99s have?

and stock vs stock, or each with equal bolt ons, which would net better mileage a 5.3L or an LS1?

Originally Posted by welldonecj7
My stock 02 ss gets about that in town but not that high on highway only about 26-28
34 in town??

edit: the other thing i have been thinking about was getting a 67-72 C series pick up and doing a swap with mileage in mind. i'd have something for the winter, and also a truck to haul around parts and anything else i need. Although with the truck's weight, i don't know if any build would get me what i want mileagewise, even a few miles per gallon under my goal.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:03 AM
TECH Resident

My Camaro has stock ls1 and still average 20 mpg around town..
5.3L stock on Camaro would be more mpg? Good Idea?
Old 03-30-2011, 07:19 AM
On The Tree

For the cost of a swap, you could probably keep your Camaro and buy a used cobalt, civic, etc etc. I love swaps and all, but it's going to take you a long time to get the money you spend back in savings at the pump.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just buy a 2.2 S-10 since you specifically talked about a winter truck, lol. I don't think a turbocharged anything in a third gen would be a mileage machine....and it would most likely just turn in to a broken project clusterfark.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

If you're looking for milage, you're probably cost concious. In that respect a 5.3 LM7 would be a cheap swap and would work with your 700R4. Easier if you get one with cable TB.
DOD (active fuel management) drops 4 cylinders, typically on highway use, but I'm not sure how well it would work with a non ecu controlled trans.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 46Coupe
For the cost of a swap, you could probably keep your Camaro and buy a used cobalt, civic, etc etc. I love swaps and all, but it's going to take you a long time to get the money you spend back in savings at the pump.
I agree it will take a while to make a return on the investment, however I seriously doubt someone could buy a good running and reliable used vehicle of the type you mention that also meets the fuel mileage requirements for the money spent on the swap. If you pay attention to cash flow and do all the work yourself, the biggest expense is the physical engine and transmission. I built my Thunderbird for less than half of what an Autotrader 500 mile search just told me the cheapest 05 Cobalt was selling for with 140K on the clock.

Having said that, I think the city mileage goals are a bit lofty with a V8 and a car that heavy but I'm not going to say it can't be done. I have a heavy foot and my Thunderbird (3700 without me) does pretty good if I stay out of it.

I agree with Gary on the DOD 5.3. Go for it and good luck!
Old 03-30-2011, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The AFM (DOD) is a waste of money and time for a small 1-2% increase in MPG. It only works on the hwy at speed and with that high of a rear ratio it may drop out of 4 mode most times although you can tune it as well.

Just get a Gen III 4.8l and T56 and stay out of the pedal. Reduce weight and it should do OK MPG wise and not break the bank.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:53 AM
TECH Resident

Default Believe it or not...

In the early 80's Camaro's, the Iron Duke 4-cylinder engine was an option. It was rated at 50 mpg in the Camaro. If memory serves, this was with a manuel transmission. As you can imagine, hardly any dealers ordered them. The Duke would be an interesting engine to perform a modern single turbo install on, for even better performance & mileage. I'm sure its been done somewhere/somehow, already.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:22 AM
TECH Resident

I think a little more info on your goals would be nice. If you your only goals are are mileage and cost of the swap is not a factor, I've heard of guy guys doing duramax swaps in chevelles and other heavier cars and gettin around 30 hwy mpg and close to 600hp,but that's a pricy swap. Most for the money I would agree 5.3/t56 and a diet would be best. I did have a buddy with a 97 z28 lt1/a4 that was able to average 35+mpg over bout three tanks but that was really REALLY trying (then he couldn't take it anymore and drove the living dog **** out of it).
Old 03-30-2011, 12:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Summerwolf
Just buy a 2.2 S-10 since you specifically talked about a winter truck, lol.
i've been thinking about that lol, Though i've been iffy on it whether or not it'd have enough bed space for me. I haven't completely ruled it out though

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
I agree it will take a while to make a return on the investment, however I seriously doubt someone could buy a good running and reliable used vehicle of the type you mention that also meets the fuel mileage requirements for the money spent on the swap. If you pay attention to cash flow and do all the work yourself, the biggest expense is the physical engine and transmission. I built my Thunderbird for less than half of what an Autotrader 500 mile search just told me the cheapest 05 Cobalt was selling for with 140K on the clock.
thats what i was thinking, lets say the swap runs me about $4,000 at the most (not building for power or bells and whistles). yes i know there are vehicles out there for that much, but many are high mileage and would require some TLC. besides that, there arent that many that catch my eye, (hmm a fiero?) plus the Camaro would be a nice cruiser.

Originally Posted by Bo185

Just get a Gen III 4.8l and T56 and stay out of the pedal. Reduce weight and it should do OK MPG wise and not break the bank.
i've actually been driving fairly concervatively, and as said the car isnt that heavy, plus i could easily take off another 100 pounds or so.

Originally Posted by LS1GMCTruck
In the early 80's Camaro's, the Iron Duke 4-cylinder engine was an option. It was rated at 50 mpg in the Camaro. If memory serves, this was with a manuel transmission. As you can imagine, hardly any dealers ordered them. The Duke would be an interesting engine to perform a modern single turbo install on, for even better performance & mileage. I'm sure its been done somewhere/somehow, already.
i've thought about it, but i was thinking an ecotec would be better, and have more power than the 90 hp Duke. The crossfires actually had amazing highway mileage (32) but lacked it in city (14-16)

Originally Posted by 71ANTICARB
I think a little more info on your goals would be nice. If you your only goals are are mileage and cost of the swap is not a factor, I've heard of guy guys doing duramax swaps in chevelles and other heavier cars and gettin around 30 hwy mpg and close to 600hp,but that's a pricy swap. Most for the money I would agree 5.3/t56 and a diet would be best. I did have a buddy with a 97 z28 lt1/a4 that was able to average 35+mpg over bout three tanks but that was really REALLY trying (then he couldn't take it anymore and drove the living dog **** out of it).
all in all, i'd like a vehicle i could drive for the darker months.

i would like to get good gas mileage. at least 22 city, and hopefully over 30 highway.

it would probably be 70-80 percent city. slowest is 25 MPH. it can go up to 60MPH (max) generally 50-55 on the larger roads.

i would like to keep the swap under 5,000, probably more than i need, but for the sake of argument i'll go with that.

though now from the above post, i'm now considering a 5 speed S10 lol.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

My stock 5.3/4L60E/2.73 got 27mpg highway with me driving like I stole it. LS1/T56 with a stock/mild cam commonly break 30MPG highway in 3rd gens

FWIW, a good running 305 TBI gets excellent economy and came stock in 88-92 3rd gens. My old LO3/4L60/2.73 hit a peak of 32mpg highway and averaged 25 city/hwy mix
Old 03-30-2011, 01:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Pocket
My stock 5.3/4L60E/2.73 got 27mpg highway with me driving like I stole it. LS1/T56 with a stock/mild cam commonly break 30MPG highway in 3rd gens

FWIW, a good running 305 TBI gets excellent economy and came stock in 88-92 3rd gens. My old LO3/4L60/2.73 hit a peak of 32mpg highway and averaged 25 city/hwy mix
i was waiting for you lol, hows the supercharger going?

and i was thinking about that as well, or swapping it to TPI. and again, i'm mostly interested with city mileage
Old 03-30-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wimimc

and i was thinking about that as well, or swapping it to TPI. and again, i'm mostly interested with city mileage
The only way you will see a large city MPG increase is with a small diesel motor or a electric hybrid type. The truck hybrids get 20 mpg city and that's in a large truck with a 6.0L.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Wimimc

M90 is rocking hard as always, M122 is about ready to go in. Only getting about 23mpg hwy with the SC though, oh well

Id pick up a 88-92 TBI 3rd gen in decent condition. LO3 kills the value so you can pick up a NICE one for under $2k. The cost of the swap will greatly offset any fuel gains for the next several years and since 3rd gens are disposably cheap, why not stick to a stock one

Quick Reply: Car Built For Mileage - need input