Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project: LS197

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 03:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awsome swap!I can hear the Ford guys whining already.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont waist your time trying to make the Ford mounts work. Place that engine precisely where you need it and fab up new mounts.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:15 PM
Launching!

Progress update:

I finally got most of the engine together. My GTO shifter should arrive in a few days, and I will be doing a test fit of the entire powertrain once that happens to see how everything lines up. I'm expecting minimal modifications. I will, likely, end up fabbing up my own motor mounts that are going to be very similar to the Ford mounts. I will also attempt to build my own headers as well, once that kit gets here. As always I'll update with plenty of pics....I just wanted to share where I'm at so far.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:58 PM
Launching!

I test fitted the entire powertrain for the first time today. Now I know a few things.
As seen below, I will need a new crossmember. The front of the stock GT crossmember hits the part of the transmission that's just forward of the mount. This can be fixed by clearancing the front part of the crossmember in the middle, but since the stock crossmember is aluminum, I'm uncomfortable with that due to rigidity. Here is a pic:

Below is a pic of the length from the stock GT pinion yoke to the trans. Anyone know of a aluminum driveshaft that is that long?

Here are a few various pics I took for reference when we go to making the headers in the next few weeks:

Back of the intake clearance to expansion valve fitting on the firewall.

GTO shifter seems to fit almost perfectly! I will clearance the front part of the shifter hole about a half an inch or so.

It's amazing just how much of a great fit this powertrain is in the Mustang body! Next step is to make the motor mounts and headers...
Old 05-22-2011, 02:25 AM
On The Tree

go to a local junkyard or truck yard for like heavy duty trucks & vans...they have plenty aluminum driveshafts..that's where I got my last 3 driveshafts then put the right yokes on them & had them cut to the exact length I wanted them..awesome swap by the way I've been considering taking the ls1 from the fox & putting it in a 2000 mustang..btw are you keeping Air conditioning?
Old 05-22-2011, 08:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Great swap! I could see the Ford engine guys having a point with the new 5.0, but this makes a lot of sense. Just to rub salt in the wounds, temporarily mount a bowtie to the grill and go to a ford show.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mustang605
go to a local junkyard or truck yard for like heavy duty trucks & vans...they have plenty aluminum driveshafts..that's where I got my last 3 driveshafts then put the right yokes on them & had them cut to the exact length I wanted them..awesome swap by the way I've been considering taking the ls1 from the fox & putting it in a 2000 mustang..btw are you keeping Air conditioning?
Good idea..I'll call around and see if I can find one.
Yes, I do plan on keeping A/C. I've been contemplating fabbing up my own accessory brackets and keeping the Ford P/S pump and A/C compressor.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

This is a interesting swap. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

Better get on some mustang forums show em some Chevy love!

Old 05-22-2011, 10:36 PM
Launching!

haha...I don't think I'll go that far. I will be getting some 6.2L badges from the SVT Raptor for the fenders.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:05 AM
Launching!

I got a few things done today.
I mounted the battery in the trunk and ran the new positive cable:

I also, with the help of a few buddies, was able to fab up a motor mount. It's just tacked in place to check for clearance:

Old 07-02-2011, 11:50 AM
Launching!

Money has been tight, so here's a small update:
I got a set of cheap 2010 Camaro headers to test fit.

Looks like I'm going to have to clearance the k-member a little bit.

I've finally found someone to buy the Ford powertrain, so I'll be making progress soon...
Old 07-13-2011, 10:31 PM
Launching!

This weekend is when things will start to get moving...I've got parts arriving every day!
I got the DWB pedal mounted:

I got a custom clutch line made with Ford connectors on one end and the LS6 connector on the other:

Looks what else arrived!

This harness looks to be very well made!

Old 07-13-2011, 11:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Great Swap!!
I give respect to all who put blood sweat and tears into there rides, but did Ford engineers really put the alternator under the intake manifold? Some engineer had to look at that and say "Yeah that will work". But never thought of the replacement of said alternator.

Sorry for the rant, Ive replaced the alternator in my Mother-In-Laws Ford Focus 3 times in the past two years. Its bolted to the block inbetween the block and exhaust manifold up against the firewall, To remove you either have to remove the pass shaft or unbolt the motor mounts and slide the engine forward an inch...

Your car looks Amazing and Props on the LS love.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice... I love a Chevy Powered Ford... I've always wanted to build one just to **** off the Ford guys...
Old 07-14-2011, 04:01 AM
Teching In

Built Ford Tough with Chevy stuff! Great build, looking forward to reading more on this so please keep us informed of your progress. Good luck with it.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

The cover for the harness instructions says LS2/LS3 DBW. Is it also wired for the VVT? Or do you plan to swap to a non-VVT cam?
Old 07-14-2011, 11:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
The cover for the harness instructions says LS2/LS3 DBW. Is it also wired for the VVT? Or do you plan to swap to a non-VVT cam?
Yes it's wired for VVT and I do plan on taking advantage of it when it's tuned...
Old 07-15-2011, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice, subscribed.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 74novacustom
Great Swap!!
I give respect to all who put blood sweat and tears into there rides, but did Ford engineers really put the alternator under the intake manifold? Some engineer had to look at that and say "Yeah that will work". But never thought of the replacement of said alternator.
The problems with Ford's Modular motor go much deeper than the alternator placement. Actually on prior iterations of the motor (2V, 4V, 5.4, 6.8) the alternator was easy to replace. The issue is the motor is heavy and occupies a lot of space for such a small displacement. In addition, the aftermarket took at least 10 years to warm up to it and it was always very expensive and complicated to modify plus in modified form it tended to be unreliable. To make matters worse Ford invested very little in it until the 5.0L came out. They made small incremental changes but nothing was a great step forward. By the time 2010 rolled around that motor was completely outclassed by it's competitors. I can't tell you how many F150 owners I have met who complain about lack of torque and poor fuel economy with their 5.4 2/3V.

Quick Reply: Project: LS197