Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 balancer switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS3 balancer switch

I'm looking to see if anyone knows anything about switching from the Camaro to the Vette balancer. When I took the one off from the 2010 Camaro LS3 I was surprised to see that it had a washer/spacer on the end of it. When I tried to put it on the end of the Vette balancer it doesn't quite fit. The ends are machined just a little bit different.

So first of all, what does thing even do? Is it really required? And I'd hate to say it, but I bet if I where to just torque the Vette balancer on there, it would most likely smash it significantly flat. I just don't think that is the best idea since I wouldn't be able to tell how straight it went on.

I stopped by the dealership and they told me it was the exact same part number for this 'washer' for a Camaro and for a Vette. So that got me wondering if my ebay Vette balancer is actually a Vette balancer. The dealership looked up both of the casting numbers but couldn't find anything.

The casting numbers: Camaro 591220
(supposed) Vette 593871

So any insight you guys can give would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Jay
Attached Thumbnails LS3 balancer switch-camaro-end.jpg   LS3 balancer switch-vette-end.jpg   LS3 balancer switch-washer-camaro.jpg   LS3 balancer switch-washer-vette.jpg  
Old 06-07-2011, 07:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never seen that washer piece used with a Vette balancer. Your Vette balancer does look like the real deal though. Maybe that washer is just used with the LS3 Camaro balancer to space it out correctly..Did you measure the height of the vette on without the washer and camaro one with the washer and see if the height of the shiny hub part is the same??
Old 06-07-2011, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks, yeah I measured them and they are the same. The metal part of that 'washer' is only .003 thick so I don't think it would make any difference with the pulleys lining up if it was in there or not.

I fixate on the smallest things.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Then I can't see it doing anything without it..I would instal the vette one and forget about then..but that's just me..maybe someone else will chime in with food for thought..
Old 06-07-2011, 09:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The washer you show is actually a "friction disc" that adds a bit of extra axial clamp to keep the balancer from spinning since they aren't keyed. IIRC, they came on all C5's and certain other high output LS motors.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:55 AM
Staging Lane

Ok, that is weird, I would never have guessed that was what it was for. Guess I will try to run it without. I'll put a mark in the crankshaft and on the balancer, but I highly doubt that it will spin. Thanks.

Quick Reply: LS3 balancer switch