Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What goes and what stays?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What goes and what stays?

I'm getting ready to do this L92 cam phasor swap for a LS2, (5.3?) style timing cover. the motor only has 12,000 miles on it so i guess the timing chain is optional for now. but, i noticed in the photos that the lower portion of the timing sets are different. the part behind the harmonic balancer in particular. would i need to change all that as well?

this site has been so helpful. really appreciate everyone's input!
Attached Thumbnails What goes and what stays?-photo-1.gif   What goes and what stays?-photo-2.gif  
Old 07-12-2011, 06:38 AM
Launching!

The first pick the oil pump is installed, the second pic the oil pump is removed. I am doing a similar swap on my ly6 right now but have not had a change to get back at things since I removed the harmonic balancer.

You will need the cam gear, LS2 cover (New crank seal also) and sensor and sensor harness to do the swap.

I'll try to take pics when I do mine but I fear it won't be till next week now.

When you start it is best to line up the timing marks before you remove the bolt in the cam. this might give you some help also but its just a normal cam swap http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23

Bruce
Old 07-12-2011, 08:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bitterman
The first pick the oil pump is installed, the second pic the oil pump is removed. I am doing a similar swap on my ly6 right now but have not had a change to get back at things since I removed the harmonic balancer.

You will need the cam gear, LS2 cover (New crank seal also) and sensor and sensor harness to do the swap.

When you start it is best to line up the timing marks before you remove the bolt in the cam. this might give you some help also but its just a normal cam swap http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23

Bruce
So your saying that the l92 sensor and the connector that plugs to it won't work with the 4x cam gear?
Old 07-12-2011, 09:36 AM
Launching!

I think the sensors are the same part number I can confirm when I get home and look at both parts (From memory they look about the same length). The harness however will need to be replaced as it includes extra pins for the VVT control.

In this pic you can see both the 3 bolt and 1 bold cam gears I got along wiht the cover and the sensor http://users.xplornet.com/~bitterman/parts1.JPG

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...different.html indicates they are the same part number.

Regards,
Bruce

Last edited by bitterman; 07-12-2011 at 09:54 AM. Reason: added link to thread on the cam sensor
Old 07-13-2011, 12:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bitterman

Bruce
ok, the how to link really "breaks" it down. what precautions or what should i do to keep everythink in time? looks like i can install without moving anything but the chain, but i don't know. also, the 4X gear has ridges on the side that don't seem to be symetrical.(maybe wrong choice of word) it has 2 longer ridges and 2 short square ridges. is there a starting point or any indicator on it as to how i should place the gear? or do i just bolt it on?
Old 07-13-2011, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

Never mind, I found it after I read through the howto again. Thanx for all ir help bruce!!
Old 07-20-2011, 07:40 PM
Launching!

glad I could help.

Bruce

Quick Reply: What goes and what stays?