Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

66 Impala Convert LS2 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 167 Likes on 97 Posts

Stopped at Puleras today.....George had the front fenders out in the paint area for final priming and blocking.....the drivers door is ready also.......so....he has the Deck lid, passenger door, and Hood to finish up.....Looks like he's ahead of schedule......I have the Fuel Tank/GTO Pump assy just about finished (Pic's in a day or two) and I'm working my way thru the pile of parts in the basement......

Old 12-09-2011, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

More Pictures............The Body was moved into the Paint area for final priming and blocking.....

Hood getting finished up.......

Doors ..........

Ken
Old 12-09-2011, 07:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great work!
Old 12-14-2011, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Final Blocking going on....Should be in paint very soon....Now I have the pressure of getting the Basement "Stuff" ready for reassembly

Starting to make some progress.....

The Engine patiently waiting..........

Old 12-14-2011, 08:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Coming along nicely Ken.....can't wait for the assembly....

T,
Old 12-27-2011, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Stopped at Puleras today after being gone for a week.....Here's what I found when I got there....They were just ready to get the car out of the spray booth.....Perfect Timing!!.....After getting the car out and removing the masking paper.....I spent some time looking at everything and determined that even though the top was new.......I can't leave it alone as the top frame assy is weathered to where I would not be happy with the end result......So.....when I get the body home this weekend......apart it comes....the Top frame will be sent to Strip-Rite for paint removal so it can be finished off to match the quality of the rest of the car.......This never ends.....LOL
The rest of the parts will be painted later in the week.....The gas Tank/Fuel assy will also be finished later this week......we have been so busy at the shop that my stuff always gets pushed to the back of the priority list....Soon Come.....

Old 12-29-2011, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, It seems that the lull in the action is coming to an end.......the car (Body and Doors) will be picked up tomorrow....also I picked up the rebuilt 12 bolt rear end today...and, I just about have the fuel tank/fuel pump assy finished.......I really liked the simplicity of the 2004-06 GTO fuel pump as it does not require a pressure controlled fuel return line to the tank......But as you can see the GTO pump is a little tall to fit into the 66 tank...

So.....we need to make it fit.......I had a spare laying around that I cut up to play with.....I won't be using the stock GTO vent assy on the top of the unit......it will be capped off so I was able to cut out all the venting controls which took up a couple of inches....shortened the rods and springs and made it manageable......but I still had to put a lower sump in the tank as the stock tank is only 6 1/2" high.....

Thru wall fuel line adaptor yet to be welded in.....

I'm gonna have to install the tank about an inch below the trunk floor to clear the electrical plug assy, but....that's O.K. as there is a lot of room down there on my "Poifeckt" Survivor car.........LOL

Also....the newly rebuilt 12 bolt that will be detailed and installed shortly....

Old 12-30-2011, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Homecoming........After a lot of replacing sheetmetal, grinding, sanding and rubbing.......the Perfect "Nu Yawk" survivor car Body is back at home.....we laughing that the guy I bought the car from probably wouldn't notice the difference (My Bad)......the rest of the parts will be picked up next week...but anyway...Wet sanded and Buffed..it's home.....Now the fun begins......

The Guy's at Puleras that made it all happen........Thanks guy's

Old 12-31-2011, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got the car in the garage today to get started on the fun stuff.....

I got the top up and cleaned it (decided to keep it after all).....after sitting in the down position for 4 months it has a lot of wrinkles to be worked out......But after cleaning it looks pretty good.....

Didn't get involved in any dirty stuff...Just dis-assembly....

Front Coil Springs......Nu Yawk style....along with the exhaust system......LOL

Stripped.........

Time for a nap!!
Old 12-31-2011, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

All new suspension patiently waiting ......

Old 01-01-2012, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

So.....I was going to take the day off and watch Football.......Then I remembered that I am a Chicago Bears fan.....so, I spent the day in the garage doing some more dis-assembly......

Trunk pan looking good!!

Rear Suspension......Gone!!

Heres tomorrows project.......

Moving along........
Old 01-06-2012, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

"NU Yawk" suspension bushings......LOL

Waiting for a new variable speed grinder to show up so I can get to wire brushing and cleaning up the frame and bottom side for detailing....

I also picked up more sheetmetal....

Old 01-06-2012, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Whenever I go thru a car I send the stock radio out to be converted over to AM-FM/Sirius Satelite......Stock looking radio yet all the modern conviences......Pretty Cool!!
I was gonna do that with my "Mint" NU Yawk Original Paint Rust Free Survivor car........But it seems the owner forgot it when he shipped the car........Those crazy Nu Yawk guy's.....anything for a "Laugh"....

So....I bought one off eBay and sent it out for conversion...Got it back today.....I highly recommend these guy's for this type of conversion......

http://www.vintageautoradio.com/

All solid state with a built in pre Amp.....

Old 01-07-2012, 08:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Nifty radio...

I love the different height coil springs and completely dead suspension bushings. Seems like on this car the more you look the more you find. Too bad you and "tha boys" can't have a "conversation New Yawk style" with the seller in a dark alley somewhere.

At least things are getting done properly now! This will be a nice head turning cruiser when it's complete.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Boxes showed up again........New 500 series Power Delphi Quick steer box, New Brake and fuel line (the fuel line will be cut and modified to suit the fuel injection pump), fuel line fittings, and my new variable speed angle grinder for wire brushing and cleaning the frame......Ugh!!.....I'm gonna be a Bachelor this weekend so I'll get all that dirty stuff finished in a day or two......"Then".....the assembly starts......

Old 01-14-2012, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well......Now we can get started for "Real"!.......I originally was going to clean the bottom of all the old undercoating......But....After trying to get that stuff off I could see that I was in a losing battle, and I figured that since it had been there for 45 years and since I was building a "Driver"......It would stay!!.......I power washed everything under the car to get all the dirt off......I got the front of the car cleaned and wire brushed......and Painted today......

[IMG]httpphotobucket.com/albums/a251/kwhizz/Impala%20Convert/DSC05603.jpg[/IMG]://
Old 01-14-2012, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I also got the Fuel tank assembled and tested for the last time.....It will be going in tomorrow.....I built some angle spacers to give some clearance for the pump assy and lengthened the tank straps accordingly......

Dakota digital tail Light assy's also showed up.....neat stuff!!

Tail Light..........

Brake Light..........

Old 01-14-2012, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Looks great. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ LOL. You seem to have a thing for yellow cars.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well!!!......Here's how I started the day out today......I figured I would have an easy day today and just get the new brake lines in.......That took aboiut 10 minutes....So...I decided to keep going.....

Got sick of tripping over the new 12 bolt.......Might as well move it out of the way.....

Pulled the Nova out and dragged the rear end to the backside of the lift......Lower the lift and lifted it on to the lift enough so it wouldn't fall off.....raised the lift and got out the transmission jack to take the weight so I could get it in position....

Got a flow going.....got out all the new Ridetech suspension and here we go!!

6 hours later........

Also got the gas tank in and mounted......

Old 01-15-2012, 07:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Boy you'd think a guy building this caliber of a car would have a better gas cap!

Seriously though, it's looking good!!!

Quick Reply: 66 Impala Convert LS2 Conversion