Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 08:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

A heads up, I bought my airraid from Advance Auto on the Internet, they have that exact kit, and you can find 40% off coupons on the Internet for items over $100.00 plus free shipping after $75.00. After the discount of 40% I had to spend like another $5.00 to get the free shipping. We don't have Advance Auto in my town, so no sales tax either, if you have one locally just print and the coupon and go to your local store and order it, but they will hit you for the sales tax.

It came out to like $76.00 shipped to my door by UPS, and it is a very large box, I doubt they made any money from me on that one. Good Luck

Last edited by lizeec; 02-19-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The OP asked about MAF placement. THE GM Connect and Cruise literature has a nice statement on that which I followed in my build. "Ensure the MAF sensor is mounted in the middle of a minimum 6 inch length of 4 inch diameter tube, and is a minimum of 10 inches from the throttle body." In my 68 Camaro, I moved the battery to the trunk and had plenty of room to put the filter inside the passenger fender and meet the rest of these requirements. I bought individual pieces from Spectre and I am very pleased with the final result.
Attached Thumbnails DIY Cold air intake-imgp7115.jpg  
Old 02-20-2016, 01:08 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aston Tibs
The OP asked about MAF placement. THE GM Connect and Cruise literature has a nice statement on that which I followed in my build. "Ensure the MAF sensor is mounted in the middle of a minimum 6 inch length of 4 inch diameter tube, and is a minimum of 10 inches from the throttle body." In my 68 Camaro, I moved the battery to the trunk and had plenty of room to put the filter inside the passenger fender and meet the rest of these requirements. I bought individual pieces from Spectre and I am very pleased with the final result.
Good point you bring up.. I tried to do the same with the LS2 set-up I had.

However, While I confess I am not exactly certain how the flow and subsequent readings/performance differs from that generation to the LS3, What I do know is that they do not seem to be following the same guidelines.

As such. for this round, I used the MAF housing/Air filter mounting assembly and Air Filter that Edelbrock delivers with the LS3 Universal kit.

Below is a picture of the MAF/Air filter mounting assembly.

When I did the LS2 swap, I had already installed a piece of ABS plastic, routed the wiring that passed through into a rubber grommet and secured an aluminum tube to mount the air filter and separate the heat of the engine bay. Since most of the work to mount the new one was already done, All I had to do here was increase the size of the hole for the new MAF/Air Filter mounting assembly. It has three threaded insets molded into it to mount it to the ABS surface on the reverse side.

Here is a picture of the assembly with the various bends they give you in the kit. Its 5MM thick HDPE. What is not shown here is the super smooth inside as they coat the inside with a different material to achieve this.

Here is a picture of the final assembly I constructed for my set-up.

And then here is a picture of the assembly mocked on the car.

The assembly I made for my application consists of three pieces. 1. The 45 Degree elbow with length of straight pipe from the Throttle body. 2. The 90 Degree elbow with length of Straight pipe from the Air Intake/filter side. 3. Last is the 60 degree elbow to connect the two.

At first it can seem intimidating on how to figure out what to use and the right lengths but for my build it was actually very easy. What I did was to Start at each end, Throttle body side first, then Intake side next, then make some basic measurements on where and how you want them to intersect. So I lined up the intake side 90 with the Throttle body side straight, then rotated the intake side, as it sits in a rubber connector/sleeve, until it would meet with the throttle body side at the 60 degree position. And Voila!!

One item I do not like is that the Throttle body is not quite 4" so I ordered a 3.5 to 4" coupler to connect the two.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:09 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimmyg
I glued mine together and 4500 miles later it's still mint. Loctite is the best super glue to use. Gorilla super glue the worst lol.
Good to hear its working for you as well! I saw various Gorilla glues.. The Super Glue looked to be the same composition as others but decided to go with the Loctite.

Originally Posted by lizeec
A heads up, I bought my airraid from Advance Auto on the Internet, they have that exact kit, and you can find 40% off coupons on the Internet for items over $100.00 plus free shipping after $75.00. After the discount of 40% I had to spend like another $5.00 to get the free shipping. We don't have Advance Auto in my town, so no sales tax either, if you have one locally just print and the coupon and go to your local store and order it, but they will hit you for the sales tax.

It came out to like $76.00 shipped to my door by UPS, and it is a very large box, I doubt they made any money from me on that one. Good Luck
Ha! Very nice score!.. Oh well, too late for me on this purchase as I already pulled the trigger
Old 06-30-2016, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey I know this is a old post but where did u mount the maf sensor??
Originally Posted by welldonecj7
looks really good man how expensive is that kit?
Old 07-04-2016, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I think the first 3 pictures and related text of post 43 show it

Quick Reply: DIY Cold air intake