Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 03:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY Cold air intake

Hey guys, looking to make a CAI for my lq4. I want to route a 90* silicone elbow to MAF to piping that will go to an enclosed box in my Nova's fender area. I have some questions to get started tho.

Where is optimum MAF placement, closer to the TB or closer to the CAI box.

Also what size of silicone 90* elbow do I need to go from the TB to the MAF.

Any help is appreciated and I will post pics of the build up once i get parts coming in.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

MAF placement depends on type. No screen or card style like to have a strait section before and after the MAF. Fbody 3 wire and truck 5 wire MAFs can be placed anywhere you have room

Fbody 3 wire MAFs are 3.5" OD in/out
Truck 5 wire MAFs are 3.8 in/3.6" out, 3.75" couplers fit nicely
Stock 78mm TBs all have a 4" OD
The following users liked this post:
rob_mcarthur (03-28-2024)
Old 08-18-2011, 10:11 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I'll need that info soon!
Old 08-18-2011, 10:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

look for the 4"couplers that also have a ring for the MAF. I got the 4" spectre couplers and they have rings to space out for the MAF.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 74novacustom
look for the 4"couplers that also have a ring for the MAF. I got the 4" spectre couplers and they have rings to space out for the MAF.
Can you post a link or pic?

Also I will be using the truck MAF
Old 08-18-2011, 12:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

here is a link to summit where i bought it from. you can actually see the ring in the pic that adapts to the MAF

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPE-9771/?rtype=10

Here is the Link from there website.

http://www.spectreperformance.com/#CATALOG.9771
Old 08-22-2011, 07:09 AM
On The Tree

Default Home Built CAI

I just completed my home built CAI. I have been looking at various setups people have done and this is what I came up with. Just about all the CAI setups have used some form of mandrel bent aluminum tubing that has been welded. I tried to look for something that I could build in my garage and still look professionally built so this is what I came up with.

Airaid has a U Build It kit that you can purchase in various diameters so I just purchased the 4" tube from Summit.

You can just purchase their tubing and not the whole kit so that is what I did. You just cut the various lengths and elbows that you need from the kit and configure them the way you want. I got my T-bolt clamps from McMaster Carr and the intake filter from Spectre.

Cutting the tubes was a piece of cake using a hack saw. Here is a tip. When you cut the tube put clamps on each side of the line you want to cut just a saw width apart and the cut will be straight and not wander while you cutting.

I then sanded the edges so I had a real tight fit and glued them together with CA glue since the tube is plastic. Sanded and smoothed the tube and took it down to my painter and they painted the same color as my manefold.

In order to use the 4" tubing I had to loose the Mark VIII fan so I went with the PRC dual 13" spall fans. Very nice product, the only complaint I have is that these fans are NOISY.

Sam
Old 08-22-2011, 08:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...-retarded.html
Old 08-22-2011, 09:02 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That air raid u build it kit looks killer. I built mine out of PVC pipe because I couldn`t find anything like that at the time and I didn`t want the heat transfer of metal. The air raid pipe looks much better than mine though.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:40 PM
Teching In

I purchased a cold air intake off of ebay for $60 new.It was for a truck but the boots sleeve and all the parts worked.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SamHatco
I just completed my home built CAI. I have been looking at various setups people have done and this is what I came up with. Just about all the CAI setups have used some form of mandrel bent aluminum tubing that has been welded. I tried to look for something that I could build in my garage and still look professionally built so this is what I came up with.

Airaid has a U Build It kit that you can purchase in various diameters so I just purchased the 4" tube from Summit.

You can just purchase their tubing and not the whole kit so that is what I did. You just cut the various lengths and elbows that you need from the kit and configure them the way you want. I got my T-bolt clamps from McMaster Carr and the intake filter from Spectre.

Cutting the tubes was a piece of cake using a hack saw. Here is a tip. When you cut the tube put clamps on each side of the line you want to cut just a saw width apart and the cut will be straight and not wander while you cutting.

I then sanded the edges so I had a real tight fit and glued them together with CA glue since the tube is plastic. Sanded and smoothed the tube and took it down to my painter and they painted the same color as my manefold.

In order to use the 4" tubing I had to loose the Mark VIII fan so I went with the PRC dual 13" spall fans. Very nice product, the only complaint I have is that these fans are NOISY.

Sam
looks really good man how expensive is that kit?
Old 08-22-2011, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by welldonecj7
x2, cai looks beautiful, thats wat im working on at the momment
Old 08-22-2011, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That Air Raid kit is beautiful. If I saw that before I pieced mine together I would have gone that route.

I ended up getting the pieces from www.intakehoses.com. It was the first time I've ever built an intake so I ordered more pieces than I needed. Also used the 5 wire MAF just to simplify things and have one set of wires going to the intake. IMO it's the only way to go when doing this. Well worth the money and I had the pigtail already from another harness.

Name:  IMAG0263.jpg
Views: 15618
Size:  62.7 KB
Name:  IMAG0242.jpg
Views: 9893
Size:  94.5 KB
Old 08-23-2011, 06:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by welldonecj7
here is a link to JEGS http://www.jegs.com/p/Airaid/AirAid-...63958/10002/-1

I just bought the pipe and not entire master kit, as I already had the filter. I then got my other stuff from Spectre, look under Accessories in their catalog.

Hope this helps,

Sam

Last edited by SamHatco; 08-23-2011 at 06:59 AM. Reason: sp
Old 08-23-2011, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Here is a tip. When you cut the tube put clamps on each side of the line you want to cut just a saw width apart and the cut will be straight and not wander while you cutting.
Thanks for sharing Sam. That's a great tip!

Was the CA something recommended by Airaid? Hope it holds up over time.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
Thanks for sharing Sam. That's a great tip!

Was the CA something recommended by Airaid? Hope it holds up over time.
I've got over 8,000 mile on the car since I completed this CAI a little over a year ago and it looks just like new. No problems at all.

Sam
Old 01-30-2012, 08:28 AM
Teching In

I ordered the kit today. However what is ca glue?
Old 01-30-2012, 11:38 AM
Launching!

Airaid has a U Build It kit that you can purchase in various diameters so I just purchased the 4" tube from Summit. Sam
Just curious.. Did you ditch the MAF? I dont see one in the image unless its right next to the air filter?
Just wondering for those that retain the MAF as that was the piece that (for my LS2 MAF) didnt have the same OD from one side to the other for which I used a reducer.

I love the look you produced but just thinking of how practical it would be with a MAF.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

Name:  IMAG0976.jpg
Views: 7383
Size:  62.7 KB

Name:  IMAG0977.jpg
Views: 8984
Size:  118.0 KB
Old 01-30-2012, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Default CA Glue

If CA or cyanoacrylate glue (don't ask me to pronounce it, lol) doesn't sound familiar, you've probably encountered brand names such as Super Glue, Crazy Glue, Loctite or Insta-Bond. Cyanoacrylate glue is the general term for the quick-bonding super glues used to mend or combine anything from plastics to wood to metal. Unfortunately for some, this list also tends to include human skin.

Sam

Quick Reply: DIY Cold air intake