Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant bypass line ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default coolant bypass line ?

so i finally got the engine for my build a few days ago (06 LQ9 6.0), and i noticed while stripping the engine down that the coolant bypass is only on the front. the rears are blocked off on each side. should i add the rears to the mix or leave as is?
Old 08-06-2014, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IIRC, the later engines switched to using only the front steam lines. I'd confirm that just to be sure, but I don't think that I'd be too worried about that. (Of course if you wanted to run the rear lines as well, I doubt that it would hurt anything...)
Old 08-07-2014, 06:21 AM
On The Tree

Yea I'm just getting into the ls stuff but I'm pretty sure rumble is right, newer engines only used the fronts. I'm going to just run the fronts on my build.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No issue with it having the rear blocked off. No sure of the years that they switch to just having it blocked off, but they did come that way.

The LS1 engines (and others) that when switching intakes (ie, to a LS6) has to modify the intake or switch over to the rear blocked system due to the clearances between the valley cover and the intake. GM found that the connected system were not really needed, and most likely cheaper and saved a few cents.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:59 PM
Staging Lane

thanks, my 06 LQ9 came blocked off from the factory. guess i'll leave it that way.

Quick Reply: coolant bypass line ?