Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure on a Steep Grade

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 02:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure on a Steep Grade

I noticed when out running my LS1 buggy for the first time that when I came down a steep hill my oil pressure dropped dramatically. I believe the incline was great enough that the oil pickup tube was not "in the oil" any more, breaking suction.

It just happened for a second, but I would like to try and stop this from ever happening. I do not want to spend $2500 on an aftermarket dry sump system if I can help it, so are there any other solutions?

I thought about pulling the oil pan and lengthening the oil pickup tube so it was further down in the oil pan itself, or maybe I could add more oil. Or maybe a combination of both.

The oil pan I have is P#12614821 (I believe), with the corresponding pickup tube. I did notice when I assembled the pan that the pickup tube seemed to be a little high in the pan.

This pan is listed as a 5.5 quart pan, but how much oil could I put in there before I started having issues?
Old 08-25-2011, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think you can drop the pickup into the pan anymore. they are usually already about 1/2" to 3/4" from the bottom. Any closure can cause restriction in the flow and cause starvation.. (I have heard of stories of this before ).

I would try taking the pan off and try adding some baffles if possible to keep oil from flowing out of the back sump and forward (for them down hill parts of the trail) or at least slow it down form going empty..

What I would suggest is putting some clay (wrapped in plastic, i use an old peice of clay bar LOL) and put is on the end of the pickup or bottom of pan where the two meets and bolt it down, then see home much clearance you really have. I did it to mine and it came out to about 1/2". If you have more room.. go ahead and extend it as needed, but leaving 1/2" to 3/4" clearance.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Thanks for that info, I will definitely try the clay impression to see what kind of clearance I have. However, I am sure I have more than an inch, probably as much as 2 inches of clearance. The oil pan reservoir I have sticks down about 7.5 inches. The oil pickup tube was nowhere near 6 inches down from the mating surface of the pan.

Thanks for the trick, I'll let you know how it works out.

Not sure where I would put a baffle, my pan's reservoir is only 8 inches from front to back and 7.5 inches deep. I'll search the forum for baffle information.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:27 PM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there is more than 1/4" of clearance from the pickup to the pan, then you have the wrong pickup for the pan you are using.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:58 PM
Teching In

^^^^ Yes, if you have 1-2" between pick-up and pan that's your problem. I wouldn't go anymore than 3/8".
Old 08-26-2011, 03:57 AM
Teching In

thanks guys, I will be pulling the pan this weekend to see what the pickup clearance really is and then I will adjust it accordingly.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://accusump.com/

You might consider using 2 of them since You might be on the grade for extended periods. Shop around. There are alternative companies making the same thing.

============

I feel an urge to mention simplifying the dry sump system to Your needs (thereby reducing cost). You're looking for consistent oil pressure, not increased performance, so You could do a setup with the following:
  • Dry sump oil tank feeds the stock oil pump thru a modified "pickup tube".
  • Belt-drive scavenge system
  • Could use a modified stock (non-dry-sump) oilpan if You'd like.
I'll have ~$600 in mine when all is said and done, but I do my own mfg.

Regards,

Kurt

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure on a Steep Grade