Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 camaro guage cluster pin outs..

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2001 camaro guage cluster pin outs..

Guys i need help swaping my guage cluster to individual autometer guage's,.

wher can i get signal from?

1. rpm tachmeter. i hooked up to the red pcm connector pin#10 i hope this works.

2. oil pressure?

3. water temp?

4. speedometer?

5. battery volt?

6.fuel?

pls help. i need ideas and suggestions, do i need to get all the signals from pcm or i can use some of the harness that go to the stock guage cluster. pls help.

ive read lots of pin outs and all but need more ideas and suggestion wher i can get signal for all these instrument. thanks alot guys.

geoff
Old 11-08-2011, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

anybody?? pls
Old 11-08-2011, 03:00 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I have to double check that specific application, but Oil Pressure, Water Temp, Tach and Speedo are run off the class 2 serial data wire.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 11-08-2011, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

I appreciate jon.

I need to get these gauges installed for the goodguys carshow here at pleasenton CA. pls help me out. this is actually in a 1970 nova ss. the harness is from my 01 ss camaro from fron to back, and i was carefull enough not to cut wires. i cut the car instead of the wires. i have all the wires that u can imagine.

the car starts and run and all guage from the 01 camaro cluster works and no code so far, lol except for missfire and a code from evap canister.

and im also using my camaro gas tank and just upgrade the fuel pump.

Im

Old 11-09-2011, 07:17 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 10 Year

Sorry Geoff,

I misread your original post. You are converting to Autometer gages from a Camaro Cluster? If that is the case, there are wires for the Tach and Speedo. However, water temp, fuel and oil pressure will require the autometer senders to work. If you need the pinouts for the tach and speedo, let me know.

Jon
PSI

www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

Old 11-09-2011, 07:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dsster
Guys i need help swaping my guage cluster to individual autometer guage's,.

wher can i get signal from?

1. rpm tachmeter. i hooked up to the red pcm connector pin#10 i hope this works.
This is the white wire coming from one of the main 3 connectors on engine harness.

2. oil pressure?
You will have to buy a fitting that will fit into the factory spot. Or you can drill and tap the spot above oil filter.

3. water temp?
This will take a fitting also to fit this big piece from autometer in the factory spot.

4. speedometer?
If you got the electric speedo, you can just use factory wire off VSS I would think.

5. battery volt?
Wire straight to the alternator post.

6.fuel?
Did you buy the fuel gauge that matches the F-body sending unit? (40 ohm empty 250 ohm full) if so then all you need to do is take the wire that would normally go to gauge cluster and hook it straight to the autometer.

pls help. i need ideas and suggestions, do i need to get all the signals from pcm or i can use some of the harness that go to the stock guage cluster. pls help.

ive read lots of pin outs and all but need more ideas and suggestion wher i can get signal for all these instrument. thanks alot guys.

geoff
Hope this helps.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

Send me a PM and I should be able to help out. I converted a 98 harness and repinned it to a 02 411 setup. I am running AM gauges and have everything working off the factory harness.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by psiconversion
Sorry Geoff,

I misread your original post. You are converting to Autometer gages from a Camaro Cluster? If that is the case, there are wires for the Tach and Speedo. However, water temp, fuel and oil pressure will require the autometer senders to work. If you need the pinouts for the tach and speedo, let me know.

Jon
PSI
Jon,

i searched and this is what i found out..

1. RPM tachmeter pcm connector c2 red pin #10 white wire.

2. speedometer ther is 3 signals that i found..
a. pcm connector c2 red pin #20 light green black VSS LOW SIGNAL
b. pcm connector c2 red pin #21 purple white VSS HIGH SIGNAL
c. pcm connector c2 red pin #50 dark green white VSS OUT TO BLACK 14 PIN CONNECTOR.

which one of these cant i accurately get signal from? and on letter C wher it says vss out to black 14 pin connector. wher is the 14 pin connector at? im guessing this is the connector wher the stock guage cluster connect at?

any i deas on the other gauge? thanks in advance Jon.

Geoff

Last edited by dsster; 11-09-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bjamick
Hope this helps.
2. oil pressure?
You will have to buy a fitting that will fit into the factory spot. Or you can drill and tap the spot above oil filter.

Why cant i use desame fitting/sensor that its allready on it. pls explain??

3. water temp?
This will take a fitting also to fit this big piece from autometer in the factory spot.

Why cant i use desame fitting/sensor that its allready on it. pls explain?? ther should be a signal from at the pcm or somewher right

Sorry for my ignorance im not good at wires and harness at all, but if you have question on engine mecahnical or chassis/suspension pls pm me.

thanks man,

Geoff
Old 11-09-2011, 11:02 PM
TECH Regular

As far as the water temp and oil pressure im sure the factory sending units use different signals that the guages read so thats why they are different. It will be allot easier if you have the sending units for the aftermarket guages rather than taking the time to find the wires in the harness and hoping that it will work.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:41 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 10 Year

Geoff,

You are correct on the tach output wire. Regarding the speedometer, the 14 pin connector may not be in your harness since it may have been cut when the harness was pulled. I would just go to the PCM Pin 50 and then tap into it there or you could trace the wire to wherever it was cut. Dont tap into the High and Low Signals.

As stated by K_Cash, you cannot use the factory senders as they operate on a different scale than the autometer gages. Im sure you could condition the signal but it isnt worth the effort or time. Remember, the original senders provided information to the PCM which then fed the information to the stock gage cluster where it was interpreted by the gages. Information was provided over the serial data wire.

Hope this helps.

Jon
PSI

www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

Old 11-10-2011, 07:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dsster
2. oil pressure?

Why cant i use desame fitting/sensor that its allready on it. pls explain??

3. water temp?

Why cant i use desame fitting/sensor that its allready on it. pls explain?? ther should be a signal from at the pcm or somewher right

Sorry for my ignorance im not good at wires and harness at all, but if you have question on engine mecahnical or chassis/suspension pls pm me.

thanks man,

Geoff
Hey Geoff, sorry I was thinking you were using the manual gauges. If your using electric gauges, when you bought them they should have came with the sender. All you have to do is some adapter fittings so the autometer gauges will work. Like oil pressure and water temp. The reason you can't use the factory senders is that the factory sending units are not sending the correct info that the AM gauge is looking for. That's why you get the sender with the new gauges.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by psiconversion
Geoff,

You are correct on the tach output wire. Regarding the speedometer, the 14 pin connector may not be in your harness since it may have been cut when the harness was pulled. I would just go to the PCM Pin 50 and then tap into it there or you could trace the wire to wherever it was cut. Dont tap into the High and Low Signals.

As stated by K_Cash, you cannot use the factory senders as they operate on a different scale than the autometer gages. Im sure you could condition the signal but it isnt worth the effort or time. Remember, the original senders provided information to the PCM which then fed the information to the stock gage cluster where it was interpreted by the gages. Information was provided over the serial data wire.

Hope this helps.

Jon
PSI
Jon,

i am absolutely sure that the 14 pin connector is still attached because all this harness came from my 01 camaro and im the one that pulled the harness ensuring that nothing gets cut.

thanks alot

geof
Old 11-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Teching In

Can anyone tell me what pin goes from the PCM to the speedo in my 2002 camaro The computer is reading the speed but no movement at the speedo at all. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 10 Year

Send me your email I can send wiring diagrams. For the Oil pressure sensor you can use the stock and hook it directly to the gauge but it may not be as accurate as the AM sensor. That will hook directly to B14 which is tan. You can replace the temp sensor with a 98 3pin the last pin will hook directly to the temp sensor or use the factory AM sensor and wire it. I put mine in the passenger rear head but ended up using the factory 3 pin sensor since it was already installed. The speedo is B8 which is dark green/white. You can also use the fuel sensor from the PCM if want to wire that. You will be able to use either a 240 or 90ohm sending unit and a 204 or 90 ohm gauge and accurately display the gas if you want to calibrate the tank with a segment swap a calibration on the PCM. This will give you the evap system if you want use that portion also.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 10 Year

Also you need to setup the tach for a 4 cylinder or program the pulses in the PCM. Take a look at the S&P site they have info on that portion I think it is in the FAQ area.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:37 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 10 Year

Daniel,

If you are using a factory gage cluster from the 2002 Camaro, you can check continuity from PCM Red Connector position 50 to position 8 on the back of the gage cluster. This wire provides information to your cruise control as well.

Jon
PSI

www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

Old 11-11-2011, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 69 Ghost
Also you need to setup the tach for a 4 cylinder or program the pulses in the PCM. Take a look at the S&P site they have info on that portion I think it is in the FAQ area.
this is really pissing me off... wher can i set this up to 4 cylinder?

Old 11-14-2011, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

This really sucks ***..i finally made up my mind to and get rid of all the phantom gauges ( its now for sale ) since i need to send it out to autometer to get it adjusted and calibrated for 01 camaro.

but, the problem now is i reinstall my stock gauge cluster and now the rpm tach don't work. i have two gauge cluster and both of them dont work now!! wtf.. is that mean i have a bad sensor out of my motor or forget to install something insiide my motor?

can somebody pls tell me wher this rpm siganl coming from before the ecu. i totaly hate wirings. pls help

thanks.

geoff
Old 11-15-2011, 07:01 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 10 Year

In some cases, the Autometer gages require the Autometer Tach Adapter (it taps into the coil wires, I dont believe you can tap into these wires without the adapter and get the autometer gage to work. Did you stock gage cluster work before you decided to switch to Autometer gages?

FYI, we spoke with some of the Autometer applications people at SEMA two weeks ago and explained that there are issues with their gages both in Gen III and especially GEN IV applications. I was given the name of their resident swap guru to speak with. Haven't had a chance to talk with him yet, but will post when I do.

Jon
PSI

www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

Quick Reply: 2001 camaro guage cluster pin outs..