Sponsored by:

Time for another build...2001 Miata L33 w/t56 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 08:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Specialized
Got any videos yet?

Im eyeing a 1993 miata, have my 6.0iron/l92/ls3 in the garage, almost don't want to put it in the camaro.

I'd keep it for the Camaro. Really, is too heavy for a Miata swap if handling is important.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salemetro
Thanks guys.

Here's an updated/obligatory pic of the engine bay with 'Vette engine covers. A BUNCH of time and effort was spent here to make it look this simple and un-cluttered. All engine wiring is done, and I'm really happy with how it turned out. We still have to fab the air intake, and finish a bunch of other stuff...but it's coming along nicely now. I'm hoping for completion late next week.

[IMG][/IMG]
It worked, that looks great!
Old 02-25-2012, 11:01 AM
Teching In

What wiring harness/PCM did you use? I've got an 01 miata that I'm fixing to put under the knife and the 5.3's are looking more and more affordable. I want to use a cable throttle body and was wondering how you did this?

Thanks!
Old 02-25-2012, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Waiting for the video.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipt86
What wiring harness/PCM did you use? I've got an 01 miata that I'm fixing to put under the knife and the 5.3's are looking more and more affordable. I want to use a cable throttle body and was wondering how you did this?

Thanks!
411 pcm mounted on the back deck....harness began life as a truck harness, but was wired to the f-body layout. Not the most stealthy install, as far as the pcm goes...but it keeps the engine bay clean. Eventually, I'll paint the pcm all black, and probably build a subwoofer cabinet that will conceal it.

As far as videos go, sorry for the delay. I'm driving the car daily (already logged 3500 miles), but am also still working out some bugs in the car. I've got to do a lifter swap in the next month, then off to the dyno to finish the tuning....videos will follow of the car on the dyno, and then on the road hopefully
Old 04-04-2012, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

I will be doing the same build. Great write up.
Heck of a forum for information.
Progress please
Old 04-05-2012, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by musanovic
I will be doing the same build. Great write up.
Heck of a forum for information.
Progress please
Thanks.

Right now, the car is out of commission. What started as a quest to just replace the LS7 lifters with "high dollar" pieces, turned in to an excuse for more upgrades. Currently the car is getting the following;

EPS Cam .598 .595 113+3
New lifters....again...only this time a good set
New double springs, retainers, keepers
C5R Timing chain and Hex-a-just gears
ATI 10% underdrive ballancer
Fast 102 Intake
Fast 36 lb/hr injectors
Custom pushrods from Smith Bros.
90mm Throttle body
LS6 PCV system

I FINALLY got the ballancer in today's mail, so most of the reassembly should be completed tomorrow or Friday. I still have some wiring to change a bit, as well as fab a new throttle bracket for the intake. It looks like the Vette engine covers are going away, so I'm looking at billet or fabricated valve covers along with coil relocation brackets in an attempt to keep it as clean looking as possible. Time will tell how that goes.

Providing that startup goes well, the car should be headed to the dyno in the next week or so. I'll post back here with some more pics after that.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:57 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi James, I just replied to your e-mail. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks! Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 04-18-2012, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
Hi James, I just replied to your e-mail. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks! Bob
Thanks Bob! If I can figure out how to fit the F1A, I'll be calling you for sure! Your pricing is SUBSTANTIALLY lower than Procharger :-) Thanks for the help.

-James-
Old 04-18-2012, 01:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What's the duration of that cam. PTV clearance may be an issue without a flycut depending on duration & head gasket. Bump the CR with a thinner gasket while you're in there. Increased CR is cheap HP for very little work.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1-450
What's the duration of that cam. PTV clearance may be an issue without a flycut depending on duration & head gasket. Bump the CR with a thinner gasket while you're in there. Increased CR is cheap HP for very little work.
PTV was no problem....actually, I've already logged 5k miles since the swap (500 since the cam swap) and all is good. It's going on the dyno this Saturday, so we'll see what it does. All this....and I'm currently working with Bob@ Brutespeed to see if a Procharger will fit under the hood. 5-8lbs ought to be quite a bit of fun with "boost by gear" setup....at least that's the thought.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 530 Likes on 334 Posts

That is a crazy build! I haven't seen that before. I saw somone put a 5.0 in a Miata, but not a LS. Nice fab skills.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a
That is a crazy build! I haven't seen that before. I saw somone put a 5.0 in a Miata, but not a LS. Nice fab skills.
Thanks. Take a look around this site, and you'll see a few of them :-) Also, do a search for Mnivet...he did a mid-mount t76 that was 630rwhp. His is the inspiration for me to research (again) options for FI. If I can fit the Procharger, that's what will go into this car....if not, it'll be the same kind of setup as Mnivet. I'm just hoping to keep as much ground clearance as possible, which is why I've not yet jumped on the turbo install.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:23 AM
Staging Lane

Any updates? Would love to see a video. Once I get back from Europe and get things situated would love to start on a 5.3 Miata build. Good stuff!
Old 10-28-2012, 09:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

That EPS must be a 218/226....I'd bet it has just a slight bump @ idle and
pulls well to 6500...any exhaust vids or track times....what MPG you gettin' ??
Old 02-22-2013, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Some new developments...

It's been a while since I've updated anything here...and some plans have changed.....

I got an absolute steal on a killer Callies/Diamond 383 LS1 rotating assembly, so I've decided that a forced-induction 5.3 is no longer in this car's future. For now, it's an 11.5:1 383....so we started in again on the mods...

I never did like the IAT's that seem to come with the mediocre-designed "cold air" intake setups that are so common, so I started looking around for other options. The LS7 "snorkel" style airbox seems to solve the problem...so, more cutting/modding has been under way....

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

After all of this, I decided to have the front of the car re-painted...which turned into a complete re-paint. I just got the car back a few days ago, and will start reassembly as soon as the new radiator gets here. The 383 will be a couple of months away from completion, as I'm also in the middle of a twin-turbo swap on my formerly single-turbo'd fbody. Too many projects going on right now for myself and customers, but hope to have this car completed (if that's really ever possible) in the next 2 months at most....just in time for the new dyno to get here and start tuning these things!

More updates to come....
Old 02-23-2013, 10:56 AM
TECH Resident

Nice. I saw that on flying miata's site under the v8 conversions. Looks like a great idea. I'm seriously considering getting a honda s2000 and swapping a LS3 in. import muscle has kits. S2000 look better I think, and weigh in a few hundred pounds over the miata and still have 50/50. Also, can fit a larger tire.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by salemetro
Thanks. Take a look around this site, and you'll see a few of them :-) Also, do a search for Mnivet...he did a mid-mount t76 that was 630rwhp. His is the inspiration for me to research (again) options for FI. If I can fit the Procharger, that's what will go into this car....if not, it'll be the same kind of setup as Mnivet. I'm just hoping to keep as much ground clearance as possible, which is why I've not yet jumped on the turbo install.

That car is an absolute monster!! I helped with the fab work on the turbo kit along with many other changes to the car. Its a blast to be in to say the least!
Old 02-23-2013, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackpony
That car is an absolute monster!! I helped with the fab work on the turbo kit along with many other changes to the car. Its a blast to be in to say the least!
Yeah, I got a good look at a bunch of pictures of the car when I met Sean from T.S. last year while I was in Longview, TX. It's a friggin' sick car! Any idea if the owner ever got it back on the road since the bearings went? The mods were surprisingly straight-forward (all things considered).

I still want to throw some boost at mine eventually. I'm still assembling the 383, so I have time to make some head chamber size decisions....plus I just pulled a single t76 off of my fbody....so who knows how long it'll actually sit around

I also gapped the rings on the new engine for boost, so I guess that's a sign of things to come. lol I just get so damned indecisive on these things sometimes. Worst case scenario, I'll throw a boost-friendly cam and heads at it and just drive it like that until other projects are finished...then get back to it with a lot less work to do, and just run the plumbing and fuel upgrades....
Old 01-19-2016, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Love this build to no end. I'm a few years late...but curious to see how the car is doing now.

Just picked up an L33 myself...

Quick Reply: Time for another build...2001 Miata L33 w/t56 conversion