Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got my 1772 miles 79 malibu ALL original time capsule

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's so many of these out there with more miles for sale, seems kinda of silly to swap one with that kind of mileage. I vote sell it to someone who will preserve it and use the profits for another with more miles and a nice sleeper swap.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny at some of the comments, these cars are common blah blah...Don't know about your area but here in Ky they are scarce in good condition...Many have seen there fate on the dirt tracks here or tubbed and bracket raced...LEAVE IT ALONE!!!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:11 PM

Leave it its supe clean car
Old 12-13-2011, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Id like a price at least?
Old 12-14-2011, 02:38 AM
Launching!

one day this car will be hacked. one way or another. so why not be the one to enjoy it. having this car and not doing anything to it is liks having a girlfriend and not having sex with her just so her next boyfriend can have her all to him self makes no sense. chop the thing
Old 12-14-2011, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stoning_volcom
one day this car will be hacked. one way or another. so why not be the one to enjoy it. having this car and not doing anything to it is liks having a girlfriend and not having sex with her just so her next boyfriend can have her all to him self makes no sense. chop the thing
exactly. If you have the money to put it in storage, giver, if not get rid of it or build it.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

a nice street machine is only as good as what u start with. take it from someone who , in the last 6 yrs has done 2 complete frame off builds, by myself ( a 68 and 72 camaro ) that needed major body work and sheetmetal replacement. if u walked up to either car at a show, you would probably be impressed and think both started as solid cars, but i know what they started as and thats always in the back of my mind. rarely do , us as hotrodders, get a chance to start with something as clean and solid as that car ( except "new" stuff. ie...new camaro, rustang, challenged). IF IT WERE ME and unfortunatly its not, id make it a super clean show winner with all the original, rustfree metal. id make it fast and customize the he!! out of it. an original time capsule is a great thing, i just dont see the value in a stripped down, radio delete , 6 banger, 3 speed manual being something that people will "ooooh and awwww"at in someones collection.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:20 PM
Staging Lane

It's kind of a tough call, but i'd keep it a sleeper but do what you want with the driveline. The only shame in modifying anything is doing a bad job. Millions of cars were ruined in the 70's with fiberglassing and cheesy paint jobs. At least current trends are clean and functional mods.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

Build a 383 gen 1 with a hidden nitrous kit. disguise it up like a stock 305. Enjoy week long burnouts on the nos tires.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:05 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by newschool72
im all about saving historic cars, but.......v6, 3 spd manuel, no ac, non- performance model. Id take advantage of not having to do major resto and turn it into a super clean, low buck monster. thats just my 2 pennies. super find !
I am with newschool. This car will never be valuable.

With that said, here is what I would do with that car:

That car screams sleeper! It also has the very desirable "dog dish" or "poverty caps" hubcaps for the sleeper look. It is just freakin' perfect. Especially if you want to go stick.

Being so nice, this car has the potential to save you a ton on a build because you won't need paint, interior, wheels -etc.

I would drop in a built motor with a sleeper cam, nitrous or turbo and a dual 2 1/2" exhaust with the biggest Dynomax SuperTurbo muffler and tailpipes to keep it quiet as possible. Put UMI adjustable rear control arms and control arm braces on the back with a 1" rear sway bar and it will hook. Have the factory rear wheels widened and install some 255/60R15 drag radials, buy the best rear end you can afford and go terrorize people!

If you like the sleeper mindset, you pretty much have the ultimate platform right there.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

Default Plans

Well after the piles of emails and ideas of some I have decided to build/ruin the car. I was sick with some of the PM's with if I could buy it this was my plan. I ordered a tremec 5 to help keep shifter in stock area(6 spd is way to far back) I am on the hunt for a LS3 pull out. Will post pics as soon as the bolts start flying!! Swap will be as clean as you can get and will look stock.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stangs4sale
Well after the piles of emails and ideas of some I have decided to build/ruin the car. I was sick with some of the PM's with if I could buy it this was my plan. I ordered a tremec 5 to help keep shifter in stock area(6 spd is way to far back) I am on the hunt for a LS3 pull out. Will post pics as soon as the bolts start flying!! Swap will be as clean as you can get and will look stock.
Nice

I look forward to seeing what your final project looks like.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Launching!

I have read a lot of opinions, to me it all depends on why you bought the car and how much you paid. Is this a race car, daily driver, show car, pro touring style? what is your/was your goal for getting it?

IMHO do what you initially set out to do... It looks to me to be a great base for a project car or sleeper, If you are worried about resale (I don't know many people who would desire to collect that particular model and would pay a crazy amount for it)...

stick to your first mind! If I bought it, it would be because it was clean already and all I had to do it the motor/suspension/drivetrain swap, If I intended to ever resale the car, it would still sale for around the same price more than likely (as you would have received)... just like you bought it from the Orig Owner for whatever price, if he could have gotten a crazy amount for it Im sure he would of...

through the original motor on an engine stand and wrap it in plastic, but move forward...
Old 01-02-2012, 07:51 PM
12 Second Club

this will be a sweet ride - your doing the right thing its still going to be a super clean low miles original car other than the drivetrain which was a turd when new so save it incase and replace it with mdern power.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:53 PM
Launching!

hadnt read through the entire thread and just saw your post. I agree, build it, it is a great start!
Old 01-02-2012, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

Default Plans

After I had a guy tell me he wanted to buy car to do a aerocoupe rear window swap on the car I had had it. I puked in my mouth then got on phone and ordered trans for it. I might as be the one to ruin it I guess.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

I am recanting my original decision to leave it alone. I am glad and looking forward to the updated car...
Old 01-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Launching!

After I had a guy tell me he wanted to buy car to do a aerocoupe rear window swap on the car I had had it. I puked in my mouth then got on phone and ordered trans for it. I might as be the one to ruin it I guess.
how much did you pick it up for?
Old 01-02-2012, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Default Car

I paid up for the car I have a soft spot for low milage old metal.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:44 PM
TECH Regular

Look forward to seeing it progress in the shop. I stroked your Smith Racecraft clip a couple of days ago. My AJE clip should be here this time next week. I can't wait to get them side by side.

Quick Reply: Just got my 1772 miles 79 malibu ALL original time capsule