Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Mustang 5.3L TH350 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 03:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice build...very clean...
Not to go back in time on the thread but another great place for delete and gauge panels is www.florida50.com
dealt with them before nice products
Old 04-22-2012, 04:29 PM
8 Second Club

A couple pictures of the progress on the rear end. Everything went together nice, only curveball was the rotors had to be drilled out to fit over the 5/8" studs. The Strange caliper mounts were dead on, brake lines didn't require any modification.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:10 PM
8 Second Club

Finished up the shifter bezel finally. Been working on it between the more important mechanical things. I may add a boot for the shifter but for now that's more than enough. I just need to add a line lock and transbrake button. I made the bezel out of .090 aluminum, made the template in CAD, traced and cut it out with a cutoff wheel.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:49 PM
8 Second Club

I've had a few set backs and bad weather the last few weeks so progress has slowed. The rear end is back in the car along with most of the suspension. The tires clear the inner fender with about 3/8" clearance all around but I'm going to roll the inside edges just in case. The outer fender has about the same amount of clearance so I'll roll the lip there just enough so it won't hit. I messed up on my measurement for the rear drive shaft so it's a 1/2" too long. So it has to go back to the shop tomorrow to be shortened.

The rear brakes are reconnected and I fixed the 2 known leaks up front and put new pads/rotors on all around. It's ready to be bleed and start working down the list of little things.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by woopow
Nice build...very clean...
Not to go back in time on the thread but another great place for delete and gauge panels is www.florida50.com
dealt with them before nice products

I just dropped 800 on a florida50 cluster. I was going to run a camaro cluster but it isnt worth the effort for a tach and water temp.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:05 AM
11 Second Club

Updates?? Loving the build..
Old 05-27-2012, 04:06 PM
8 Second Club

I jumped the gun claiming victory over the brake line leaks. I spent two weekends finding leaks, re-flaring or replacing lines, getting frustrated and walking away multiple times. Finally resolved them and went away on vacation this past week and just got back. Weather is holding me up today. The driveshaft was shortened and installed in between the brake issues. I'll have some significant updates over the next weekend or two as I should be ready to fire it up real soon.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MustangLS
I jumped the gun claiming victory over the brake line leaks. I spent two weekends finding leaks, re-flaring or replacing lines, getting frustrated and walking away multiple times. Finally resolved them and went away on vacation this past week and just got back. Weather is holding me up today. The driveshaft was shortened and installed in between the brake issues. I'll have some significant updates over the next weekend or two as I should be ready to fire it up real soon.
I know the feeling..
Old 07-09-2012, 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

Any progress??
Old 07-09-2012, 05:09 PM
8 Second Club

June was pretty much a total bust for me between the rain storms and in turn having to mow the grass growing because of all the rain. This past weekend I tested the fuel system and found a few leaks and fixed them all but one. I have a summit and fragola fitting that don't like each other so I ordered new ones of the same brand to hopefully resolve it. Took care of last minute wiring things so it I can fire the engine. I had a plug in the dipstick opening and good thing because a mud dauber/wasp made itself a big nest right over it. I got that removed and the dipstick in.

All I'm waiting on to fire the engine is the fuel fittings, a bung welded on the intake pipe that will be done tomorrow, add oil, bolt in a overflow tank, fill the radiator, load the tune and start it. I have some cosmetic things to finish but need the car to run so I can move my other outside and drive this one in. I can work on it in the garage at night then and get it road worthy.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:45 PM
8 Second Club

I need to pick up a couple vacuum caps tonight and mount the overflow bottle. Fuel fittings came in I'll get them swapped out this weekend and tested. Start up will be on Sunday.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

Very nice. I am getting ideas from your build all the time. I am very interested to know how the Holley HP works and how easy it is to set up?? I will be starting out with a T56 and all aluminum motor which I am told is less than 500 lbs together which is lighter than a 5.0-T5 based setup that my car had.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:19 AM
8 Second Club

There was a base tune for an LS1 auto that I made some adjustments on for injectors, sensors I'm using. I had 98z28cobrakiller look it over and he made some adjustments as well. We'll see pretty soon how it does for a start up tune.

A 302 complete engine is in the 450-500lbs fully dressed and from what I've read the LS1 is around 385-425lbs. The T-5 transmission with bellhousing is about 85-90lbs vs the T-56 which is about 140lbs. There isn't that much difference in weight with transmission.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is it better to go with UPR's master cyl. with the brake lines turned inward vs. using the stock M/cyl. on their adaptor?
Old 07-16-2012, 02:07 PM
8 Second Club

If you are going to manual brakes you'll need a new master anyways you can't use the stock master for manual brakes. As for fender or header facing lines I like fender just because it's cleaner and more room to work with but it also means redoing the lines to make it work. It's hard to tell from the above picture but the front line goes right into the strut tower where I drilled a hole. A pain to set up but to me I'd rather go through that pain once then have to deal with it every time I go to work on the header, change spark plugs, pull the heads, etc...
Old 07-17-2012, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MustangLS
If you are going to manual brakes you'll need a new master anyways you can't use the stock master for manual brakes. As for fender or header facing lines I like fender just because it's cleaner and more room to work with but it also means redoing the lines to make it work. It's hard to tell from the above picture but the front line goes right into the strut tower where I drilled a hole. A pain to set up but to me I'd rather go through that pain once then have to deal with it every time I go to work on the header, change spark plugs, pull the heads, etc...
Do you know why the stock M/C doesn't work in a manual setup? UPR sells just the adaptor block.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:33 AM
8 Second Club

Master cylinders are made specific to be used for manual or power brakes. You can't use one for the other. Yes UPR sells the adapter block so you can use whatever manual master cylinder you want. I used the strange master cylinder with mine, UPR sells a kit with factory Ford manual master cylinder.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:53 PM
8 Second Club

Forgot to update this. I wasn't able to get the car started this past Sunday. On/off rain all day and I had problems even with the new fuel fittings getting them to stop leaking. The leak is finally fixed, solidered in the relay for the fuel pump and I just need to make the cable from the cut off switch to the battery. Sunday this weekend will be the day.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:38 AM
8 Second Club

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp-0R...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by MustangLS; 07-22-2012 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Better quality video
Old 07-24-2012, 09:07 AM
On The Tree

It's alive!

Quick Reply: 94 Mustang 5.3L TH350 Swap