Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX swap in either 91 Camaro or 93 Camaro Z28?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LSX swap in either 91 Camaro or 93 Camaro Z28?

I'm kind of in a bind here of what I want to do with my 1900 mile 5.3L LS engine is have sitting in my garage. The original idea was to swap it into my 91 Camaro cuz the motor is getting tired and it's my first car. I have also be thinking about the idea of doing the LS-swap into my 93 Z28 cuz right now, my LT1 has been giving my nothing but problems since my recent engine swap done to it. The problem has been all electrical, mostly with the ignition (3 optis and a LTCC conversion not working and not getting any power to the module). I already have a big idea of what it would cost to the do the swap to either car.
91 Camaro: things to changes for conversion
-fuel system conversion for LS engine can be expensive
-exhaust (headers and custom y-pipe) ranging from $1200+
-new rear end and transmission
-new wiring harness
-engine mounts and transmission mount

93 Camaro Z28: things to change for conversion
-change k-member (98-02 factory f-body k-member)
-dash gauges wiring (LS harness won't work w/ LT1 gauges), probably aftermarket gauges
-exhaust (98-02 f-body headers and y-pipe will work w/ no problem, most likely go with pacesetter for money part)
-transmission (my factory 700r4/4L60 will work w/ adapter)
fuel (change in-tank fuel pump or in-line fuel pump)

I'm sure there is things that I am missing for the 2 cars. Some input on this would be great on which swap I should probably do. As of right now, I'm kind of leaning towards my 93 Camaro since it would cost me less to do the conversion than my 91 Camaro but still not sure.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a thirdgen swap you do not need 1200 headers and y pipe. You can use stock F-body manifolds with the swap and then have a custom y pipe made for a few hundred.

The fuel system is not very expensive either as you can run a Corvette filter and use most of the stock fuel line. You will need a new fuel pump like a Walbro 255. You only need to remove the return line from the front.

A new rear end is not necessary, but encouraged with the increased power but it is no different than what your 4th gen has minus the width.

As for a transmission why not find a 4l60e in the junkyard that came from a LS car or truck and you will be fine. Some have used a 700 but it is more of a hassle than its worth.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rickyzZ28
For a thirdgen swap you do not need 1200 headers and y pipe. You can use stock F-body manifolds with the swap and then have a custom y pipe made for a few hundred.

The fuel system is not very expensive either as you can run a Corvette filter and use most of the stock fuel line. You will need a new fuel pump like a Walbro 255. You only need to remove the return line from the front.

A new rear end is not necessary, but encouraged with the increased power but it is no different than what your 4th gen has minus the width.

As for a transmission why not find a 4l60e in the junkyard that came from a LS car or truck and you will be fine. Some have used a 700 but it is more of a hassle than its worth.
I was looking around and found some long tube headers for 3rd gen camaros for about $700 for a pair. I need a new rear end cuz my 91 Camaro is the RS model and its the single-tire fire rear (sucks ***). As of right now, I think I'm going to stay with my 3rd gen. I just need to get my 93 running or sell it and get a different car.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Both would make good swap projects (I'm partial to 4th gens myself) and should both be fairly strait forward to do.

Which ever way you go, decide what you want to do now, research it and find good references to follow, plan your build with your budget, and stick to it.

And don't forget, you can fix the screwy electrinics on that LT1 by putting an LS-style fuel and ignition system on it. Conversion kits are availible for that now. Then you get a good running '93 with a '91 to swap that 5.3 in.

My 2 cents....
Old 01-03-2012, 09:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 305 Likes on 231 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Turd Gen..
Old 01-04-2012, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Red Mnster Z
I was looking around and found some long tube headers for 3rd gen camaros for about $700 for a pair. I need a new rear end cuz my 91 Camaro is the RS model and its the single-tire fire rear (sucks ***). As of right now, I think I'm going to stay with my 3rd gen. I just need to get my 93 running or sell it and get a different car.
What I was saying is that they are not needed to do a swap if cost is important. If you are going that route I would make sure to get at least 1 3/4 headers which last time I checked ran like 820 or so. There is a difference between their headers as some are cheap Chinese knock off and some are quality Stainless Works headers. Also you can set your rearend up for a posi and even put 4th gen disc brakes on a drum brake rear end. Might be a good idea to check out thirdgen.org as well. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by turbinesurgeon
Both would make good swap projects (I'm partial to 4th gens myself) and should both be fairly strait forward to do.

Which ever way you go, decide what you want to do now, research it and find good references to follow, plan your build with your budget, and stick to it.

And don't forget, you can fix the screwy electrinics on that LT1 by putting an LS-style fuel and ignition system on it. Conversion kits are availible for that now. Then you get a good running '93 with a '91 to swap that 5.3 in.

My 2 cents....
I am doing a LTCC coil conversion to my 93 Z28. Right now, I don't have any power to my LTCC module and I have been trying to troubleshoot it and I am getting nothing. Next week I am taking my car up to Speed Secrets in Snohomish, WA and have Ellis Groo take a look at it and see what he can do to get the damn thing running so I can drive it and enjoy it like I have been trying to do. I want to feel the power of my LT1 again w/ 84k miles, LT4 Hot Cam, Pacesetter LT Race Headers and Y-pipe, EGR/AIR delete, A/C delete, 3inch Flowmaster exhaust that came on the car when bought, and I can't remember what else at the moment.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

I'm in the process of doing an LSx swap in my 93 Z28. Bought the car, drove it home, ripped the LT1 crap out..lol and I'm on my way to being broke
Old 01-04-2012, 05:33 PM
Teching In

Hello,
I would say do the 1991 camaro!! I like the thirdgen's!!
Click on the link below to see my LSX build...........

And look at these headers :
http://www.brphotrods.com/mm5/mercha...gory_Code=CNV3

And if you have any question's, i will help if i can......

Later,
Robbie

Last edited by 1fas92; 01-04-2012 at 05:52 PM.

Quick Reply: LSX swap in either 91 Camaro or 93 Camaro Z28?