Great build man!
Old 03-02-2017, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

It looks great Dave, nice job.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Superdave, wow where could I possibly begin... You work and creativity is amazing! I am working on doing a full restore on a 66 Impala and am torn on which way to go with it. I love the very minimum chrome look but also like the chrome too. So I guess I'll start by asking you first, when you cut off the drip rail, do you have any additional pics and did you trim the A pillar too? Secondly, can you share more on your process of flush mounting your front windshield and were you able to get your rear glass to line up better with less gap? Thank you so much for your time doing this thread, it is truly an inspiration!
Old 03-08-2017, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NKy66Impala
Superdave, wow where could I possibly begin... You work and creativity is amazing! I am working on doing a full restore on a 66 Impala and am torn on which way to go with it. I love the very minimum chrome look but also like the chrome too. So I guess I'll start by asking you first, when you cut off the drip rail, do you have any additional pics and did you trim the A pillar too? Secondly, can you share more on your process of flush mounting your front windshield and were you able to get your rear glass to line up better with less gap? Thank you so much for your time doing this thread, it is truly an inspiration!
Glad you like the build! I don't have any pics beyond what is already posted in this thread, sorry. The entire edge of the drip rail has to be cut off, welded, and the appropriate bodywork done to clean it up. This is all the way from the A pillar to the end of the rear side window glass.

As far as flush mounting the windshield, it was the exact same process as the rear. All I did was add some 1/8" flat stock all the way around the ledge where the glass sits. This raises the glass a little bit. And then to cinch the hole closed some, I used 3/16" rod around the perimeter so that the gap between the glass and the body was tighter. I REALLY wish the modern adhesive with the corresponding black primer paint would have held up, because it looked amazing, however, the adhesive refused to bond to the glass. I had to resort to using the traditional butyl tape instead. It's stuck on there good now.

The rear glass fits better now (I had to take it out a few times because of faulty experiments with the modern adhesive). It's still not "Lamborghini perfect". The precision for glass wasn't the greatest in the 60's, and it really didn't have to be. As long as it fit in the hole, the chrome would cover any gaps or ragged edges. In my case, I had to use 80 grit sandpaper on a block to knock off some of the flaws at the edges. Anyway, after cocking it in there a little more carefully, it's not bad now. If you measured with a caliper you would certainly figure out that it's not even all the way around, but just looking at it by eye, it looks fine.

I should also mention that although the modern adhesive didn't work, I still used it after the glass was set in place. I used it to fill in the gap left between the glass and the body. If you don't do this, when the sun heats up the butyl tape, the glass is going to slide down out of proper position. I used the modern adhesive as a kind of permanent spacer to keep the window locked in place.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

Well, after a lot of thinking hard on the matter, I have decided that it's time to sell the Impala. It turns out that I enjoyed building it more than I ever enjoyed actually driving it. I have a few things I want to address before I sell it, but it will be going up on Ebay soon. I don't even have an asking price because I have no idea what it's actually worth. Going to let the bidders decide.

It was a fun ride, but now it's time to let someone else have some fun with this car.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Originally Posted by superdave84
Well, after a lot of thinking hard on the matter, I have decided that it's time to sell the Impala. It turns out that I enjoyed building it more than I ever enjoyed actually driving it. I have a few things I want to address before I sell it, but it will be going up on Ebay soon. I don't even have an asking price because I have no idea what it's actually worth. Going to let the bidders decide.

It was a fun ride, but now it's time to let someone else have some fun with this car.
Sad to hear this...but I get it...I am more of a builder than a driver myself...

Andrew
Old 09-22-2017, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand also but post a link to auction. Not necessarily to bid but see how much it goes for.
it may set a bit of a precedent for swaps and modifications.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I still think your work is some of the best I've seen and best on this forum. Maybe someone on here is interested in it. Are you looking at doing another car?
Good luck with the auction
Old 09-25-2017, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by the450r
I still think your work is some of the best I've seen and best on this forum. Maybe someone on here is interested in it. Are you looking at doing another car?
Good luck with the auction
I think I am at the point where I just want a newer car that I don't have to "build". This Impala has never let me down once, but I find it to be somewhat mentally exhausting driving it. I mentally go over all the nuts and bolts, every possible scenario that could go wrong while driving it. I know it's a bit silly, and having checked and rechecked every bolt on the car many times, I know it's unwarranted. I thought that it would get better as time went on, but it doesn't seem to.

I really did enjoy building it and it's a real shame I have nowhere to do the quarters and final bodywork/paint....because I know if this thing was painted it would be a $50,000 car

Last edited by superdave84; 10-13-2017 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:31 AM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, I'm sad to know you wont have this car anymore.

Man. I'd just like to say say thank you, for the creativity, and inspiration that you put into this and that you shared with all of us here. I'm willing to bet that I wasn't the only one motivated by your work.

I'll stay tuned and I'm curious to see if you will enjoy not having a project anymore.

Thanks again Dave,

-Nick
Old 10-06-2017, 05:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave Bro im jealous i wish to sit or drive machine like yours even one time
Old 10-10-2017, 11:47 PM
TECH Resident

Have not gotten the eBay listing together yet. Hopefully in a couple days. This is the video I will embed in the ad though.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow - more great work with the video! you are really talented.
Loctite might cure the paranoia surrounding nuts and bolts.

What will you buy? For 2 years I've been driving a 2010 E63 AMG along with the LSX hot rod F1 pickup. It is fast, fun, dialed-in from the factory and now reasonably priced. 520 horse 6.2L V-8 (redline of 7700 rpm and sounds wicked) with a 7 speed clutched transmission. And very very nice interior. They can be had for <$30k even with low miles (under 50k).

Cheers,

Doug
Old 10-11-2017, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Hell of a video Dave! The car looks awesome!
Old 10-11-2017, 07:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DW SD
Wow - more great work with the video! you are really talented.
Loctite might cure the paranoia surrounding nuts and bolts.

What will you buy? For 2 years I've been driving a 2010 E63 AMG along with the LSX hot rod F1 pickup. It is fast, fun, dialed-in from the factory and now reasonably priced. 520 horse 6.2L V-8 (redline of 7700 rpm and sounds wicked) with a 7 speed clutched transmission. And very very nice interior. They can be had for <$30k even with low miles (under 50k).

Cheers,

Doug
Not really sure what I will get next, but I want something new or newish. I hated them at first, but the new Mustangs have grown on me. I'm sure most people on this forum would punch me in the belly for getting one though haha. Unfortunately GM doesn't have any affordable, attractive 2 door V8s. The Vette is great, but the Camaro looks like a pizza box to me, and they're way overpriced. Challengers are ok but the shine has worn off for me. Honestly I don't know what I will do yet.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah. I like the mustangs too! I drove a 5.0 and was kind of disappointed at the acceleration. compared to the old L92 truck, it seemed very tame.

But, that'd eat my truck for lunch on a road race track!

Doug
Old 10-12-2017, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by superdave84
Not really sure what I will get next, but I want something new or newish. I hated them at first, but the new Mustangs have grown on me. I'm sure most people on this forum would punch me in the belly for getting one though haha. Unfortunately GM doesn't have any affordable, attractive 2 door V8s. The Vette is great, but the Camaro looks like a pizza box to me, and they're way overpriced. Challengers are ok but the shine has worn off for me. Honestly I don't know what I will do yet.
I agree, but don't limit your search to only v8s. My new daily is a cadillac ATS 2.0 turbo and it hauls ***! These newer cars are doing great things with less cubic inches. I was amazed at the power this car makes. I believe it's a 13 second 1/4 car. =)
Old 10-12-2017, 07:47 PM
TECH Resident

Here's a link to the listing for anyone interested http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Chevrol...S/132360254042
Old 10-12-2017, 08:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dig the retro-wave video LOL!

I'm curious what you are looking to get for it?
Old 10-12-2017, 08:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by alocker
I dig the retro-wave video LOL!

I'm curious what you are looking to get for it?
Honestly I have NO idea what it will go for. That's why I chose to do an auction instead of outright selling it. I have heard people "offer" anywhere from 10-40k. Of course, offers mean nothing if there's no cash in hand. The 10k people don't know what they are looking at....the guy who said 40k probably doesn't either hahah

Quick Reply: Superdave's 65 Impala SS 5.3 Swap