Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'69 Cutlass W31 Clone LY6 Build (formerly Red Rocket)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 07:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '69 Cutlass W31 Clone LY6 Build (formerly Red Rocket)

Hey Folks,

This is the same car that was being built in my Red Rocket build but I realized I liked the Saffron Yellow paint so much I would keep it. I had been doing a boosted build originally but life just kept getting in my way so for now it is going for the sleeper look with the column shift and bench seat.

It has Boss 338s on her right now with 285/40-18 in back and 255/45-18 up front. I am highly considering going with 17" steelies with poverty caps to complete the sleeper theme. She has a full BMR suspension under her with Bilstein shocks. I may swap the rear springs for 2 inch drop if I don't like the stance. Fuel system currently consists of a Rick's tank with a 5th gen Camaro pump with a 4th gen fbody regulator sipping thru a Vaporworx pickup assembly.

This today I just got done the main portion of the exhaust. I am sticking with LS3 Camaro manifolds for now so I can keep the column shift. Engine is an LY6 with lightly ported L92 heads, LS3 intake/injectors, FAST 90mm throttle body and a Lingenfelter 102mm MAF. She also has a decent Lunati cam and a built 4L60e with a 2600-2800 restalled stock converter. Rear's a 12 bolt with 3.31 gears.

When I finally get all the parts together I will be going boosted...think Jim Moran's (Speed Inc) '70 Malibu...absolutely LOVE that car...very inspirational!

Here's a few pics and vid of her running with the exhaust for the first time. Enjoy! Oh and sorry for the ridiculous mess that is my garage. Trying to finally get her cleaned up.

WAY DIRTY interior but overall in good shape!

Lots more to come! Hope to have her make her first passes at the track soon...driving to and from of course!

Thanks,
Dave
Old 03-24-2012, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Alot of your build look very familiar, I also used the Magnaflow exhaust, similar pan and tubular control arms (UMI). I did forced induction with the Magnacharger, and the car is also the same basic yellow. I will look forward to following your progress. Any assistance I can provide, don't hesitate to ask.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:08 PM
On The Tree

Very Nice! Glad to see more Oldsmobiles going LS swaps, Bout to start mine for a 68 Cutlass here soon. Run into any big headaches?

Love to see some stance pictures of your car if you have any...
Old 03-25-2012, 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by StealthSierra
Very Nice! Glad to see more Oldsmobiles going LS swaps, Bout to start mine for a 68 Cutlass here soon. Run into any big headaches?

Love to see some stance pictures of your car if you have any...
Should have some in a couple of days...want to take care of a pinion yoke issue before I take her off the skids...BUT I may take her down today just to get a feel for the stance as well. I'll shoot some pics if I do!

Thanks!
Dave
Old 03-25-2012, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

Small update today. Got the exhaust done for the most part. Tails were welded on. Also did a bit with the fan wiring tidying everything up. Should have everything wired and ready to rock shortly...hopefully tomorrow. I have to still order up the pinion yoke to correct an issue I am having but other than that just some details here and there.

I will be hiding additional gauges in the glove box out of view and will flip then down when I mean business.

I will then turn my attention to some light bodywork to make things mildly presentable but not overly...I am beating the CRAP out of this thing for now!

BTW, not sure I mentioned this but this car as a CPP big brake kit as well. Very happy with it at this point.

Here's some pics and another vid! Thanks!

Temporary air filter set up for now:

Here's the vid!

Thanks guys!
Dave
Old 05-22-2012, 06:42 PM
TECH Resident

Small update....got her up and running...working on tuning. First time doing this stuff so I am being extra careful so I don't grenade her by accident. I will have a lot more pics tomorrow but I just wanted to give you guys a little hint on what direction the paint scheme will be going...not exactly W31 anymore...

This was just a test fender as I playing with modern colors...I am still working on finding stripe dimensions, etc...

BTW, colors are Toyota Super White and Ford Green Gold! I love 'em!!! Looking forward a free weekend to knock out a little bodywork!

More pics to come soon!

Dave
Old 05-22-2012, 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

Here's a few more with her FINALLY on the ground!!! I am VERY happy with the ride height at this point and it will only get better. I threw the shitty fender up on her to see how I like the H/O paint scheme...i think it decided it for itself! I will probably end up changing the wheels out for something a little more "correct" for the feel I am going for.

More to come!!! Trying to dig out of the mess that used to be my garage!!! Hahaha!

Thanks!
Dave
Old 05-22-2012, 08:15 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome theme. '69 H/O is absolutely my favorite muscle car.

Love the car and the build man. I grew up working on Olds. My first car was a '72 442, and my second was a '70 Rallye 350.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by -Q-
Awesome theme. '69 H/O is absolutely my favorite muscle car.

Love the car and the build man. I grew up working on Olds. My first car was a '72 442, and my second was a '70 Rallye 350.
Very cool man...glad you approve!!! It was weird...I had been going back and forth in my head whether to do the 442 or keep it W31 small blocky in nature. Then I stumbled upon this pic of a H/O and said...."Welp...that's that then!!"

Whose ever car this is...I thank you...you were the inspiration I needed!!!

Dave
Old 05-22-2012, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

Here's the direction I was thinking with the wheels:

I will admit though that the price made me mess my pants a little...hahaha
Old 05-23-2012, 05:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I absolutely love this scheme! I had the opportunity back in 74 to buy an HO from the estate of a customer that passed away. He told his kids to give me the first right of refusal. At 17 I just did not have the $3500.00 to do the deal, always kicked myself for not selling my soul to do it.
I agree with the wheel choice, very similar to the direction I am going. This will be a winner!
Old 05-23-2012, 06:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by oldgoat69
I absolutely love this scheme! I had the opportunity back in 74 to buy an HO from the estate of a customer that passed away. He told his kids to give me the first right of refusal. At 17 I just did not have the $3500.00 to do the deal, always kicked myself for not selling my soul to do it.
I agree with the wheel choice, very similar to the direction I am going. This will be a winner!
OMG!!! $3500!!! Isn't it crazy how our brains deal with scale at different ages and times of our lives. The Forgelines above will be damn near $5K to the door when all is said and done...LOL

I had a similar opportunity a few years ago. Friggin' time capsule of a '70 Trans Am Ram Air III auto car. I went into this guy's garage and saw his '68 GT500, '66 GTO Vert and this '70 Trans Am....I walked up to the TA and started shaking...the interior was original and still looked BRAND FREAKIN' NEW!!! All the ram air stuff was there for the shaker, original engine, trans, rear, exhaust....etc...

He told me it is not for public sale but if you want it....$10K. It did have a few issues with rust in the tail pan/trunk area but the underneith (frame rails) looked immaculate...

Guess what I just started shelling money out for at that time??? If you said my wedding, then you win a gold star...lol. Her parents had just broken the news that they could not help us with paying for the wedding after saying they would so it left a slight 5-digit hole in our budget...hahaha. Oh well...that's life I guess.

Thanks for the compliments my friend...keep me posted on your gooat....love that thing!

Dave
Old 05-24-2012, 05:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

What part of the world are you in? Looks like the upper midwest?
Old 05-24-2012, 10:09 AM
TECH Resident

Palmyra, NJ right near Philly...hahaha.

Pics were taken at like 8:30 at night so it gives you that "stick your head in the microwave" type of dreary Seattle look...haha.

No offense to the upper midwest folks...I just couldn't deal with that much cloudiness and rain.

BTW, here's a photo chop of a wheel I am highly considering. Been talking with Jason Rushforth on a wheel plan for the H/O tribute:

Dave
Old 05-25-2012, 05:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Jason did the design work for a couple of the cars our shop built back in the late 90's and early 00. He has a great knack for combining early style with current updates. I personally like the Forgelines better, but opinions are like aholes everyone has one.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

A little bit of progress...been doing body work when I have a free second. First time really doing this but I am pretty happy how it is turning out. This car is going to be a nice driver that I can say I did all myself in my garage..........and driveway...haha.

Here's a quick couple of shots showing how messed up the original fender was...I do not have anything currently showing the true shittiness of the original fender but this gives you an idea of at least one of the repairs needed:

Here's my repair:

And the pre-finished product after the first coat (still shooting it again):

Yes I know it is a bit orange peeled but this was literally rattle can special that is purpose mixed by the local shop. It is 2006 GTO Torrid Red. An odd thing happened as I got a gallon of it a few weeks ago that was supposed to be Torrid Red...it is way darker...not sure what was going on there but this is MUCH more obnoxious!!!

More to come!
Dave
Old 06-20-2012, 05:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

So is the HO paint scheme out the window?

Quick Reply: '69 Cutlass W31 Clone LY6 Build (formerly Red Rocket)