Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

73 camaro motor mount swap plate help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 73 camaro motor mount swap plate help needed!

Trying to keep the turbo 400 where it is without moving the crossmember or worrying about driveshaft length. With so many options (standard, 1"setback etc.) I feel like its a crap shoot and im just guessing as to what ones to order. Im also keeping the pass. side low mount ac and i've seen the bracket clearanced for the motor mounts. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just dropped in a lq4 into my 72 yesterday. used the Holley plates with the stock location and it was super easy. Left the tranny in and it bolted right up with no issues.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

That's good the hear. Thanks for the info
Old 04-15-2012, 12:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your trying to keep the trans in the stock location, You will have to move the engine back to meet up with the bell housing flange. The 1" setback are the ones that will get you just about there. The Gen III/IV is shorten 1" by GM Engineering.
If you look at the back of the Gen III/IV and the Gen I/II engine. you will see that the back of the Gen I/II has a larger flange on the block where it bolts up to the Trans. And then compare the Gen III/IV engine you will see that GM shorten that flange about 1" to be able to fit the engine in to more compact engine bays.

You can try also the Dirty Dingo plates that are adjustable adn slide back and fort so you can locate the engine where you need it to be.

If try to keept he OEM AC, Many have moved the engine forward to clear the X-Members, but I would suggest you research the 2nd gen F-body threads as I have not done one.

I take the step or look into moving the Frame Stands if needed, that why you can use any adapter plates.

BC
Old 04-15-2012, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

BC - thanks for the input. Im just not a fan of the sliders, I like something with a solid mounting point but I have considered moving the frame stands if need be. I know nothing custom is a drop in I'm just looking to get close, and if I have to break out the persuadin' hammer I will!

72 - what motor mounts are you using? I have the BBC clamshells now looks like id have to invest in small block mounts
Old 04-15-2012, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the stock big block mounts. In the stock location. I was actually surprised at how easy and drama free it bolted up.

Can't help you with ac placement though because the only thing I'm running is an alternator.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jax326
BC - thanks for the input. Im just not a fan of the sliders, I like something with a solid mounting point but I have considered moving the frame stands if need be. I know nothing custom is a drop in I'm just looking to get close, and if I have to break out the persuadin' hammer I will!

72 - what motor mounts are you using? I have the BBC clamshells now looks like id have to invest in small block mounts
The only way the sliders would move after placing the motor where you want is if the bolts were not tightened. It is as solid as any other type plate. Also, the sliders come with the provisions to bolt directly to the clam shells so there is no need to source block mounts. Considering the things you are wanting to keep for your install, these may be the best route to place everything with out to much head ache. Just an opinion. Let us know how it goes.

Quick Reply: 73 camaro motor mount swap plate help needed!