Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If this were you, how would you do it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 03:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default If this were you, how would you do it?

How's it going?. I have in my possession(sp) a 1999 Silverado with a 5.3 and 4l60e. The truck was rolled and I bought it for a song. The a/c blows ice cold and everything works. I want to put this in an s-10 and have read numerous articles and have been over at s-10.com alot as well as reading here. I am gonna buy hptuners and was wondering this. Do I leave the drivetrain in the big truck and do all the tuning while it is there or wait until its pulled and in the s-10? I know about vats and have heard of other things that need to be turned off or modified before running in another chassis. What I'm wondering is of those of you who have done this, in your experience, what would be the best was to do this and maybe what order? I will have to modify the harness myself and decide what I'll use and not use. If you have any advice pertaining to my particular process, I would appreciate it. Just some fresh opinions. Thanks, Jason.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you going to mod the engine? If so, what are you considering?
No need to tune if no mods are happening....although you'll want to delete certain items.
Before stripping the harness, where are you mounting the computer? If mounting in the cab, you may need to extend the harness.
Will you keep the A.I.R. & EGR? The EGR will help you run cleaner, and at least theoretically, provide better mileage. I wanted just a cleaner engine bay, and stripped the AIR & EGR.
Just a couple of thoughts to begin with.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

Default s-10

I'm gonna strip all the crap off. The long term plan is to get it running in the s-10 and then build manifolds and turbo it. Gonna keep the a/c but wanna get rid of all non essential emissions crap. Will end up with a speed density tune. I haven't decided where to mount the ecm yet because I haven't found the right s-10 yet. When I get the s-10, big things will start to happen, but not until then. Thats why I wanted to pick you guys brains about some stuff first. I do not want to take apart a running truck until necessary. Looking for a rcsb squarebody s-10 or a stepside roundbody. I am really picky so the truck has to be real clean. Just haven't seen a lot of rollers. Thanks
Old 04-23-2012, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would go ahead and take all of the stuff out of the computer you want while everything is in the donor. That way and will know for sure everything worked before you swap it into the S-10, hopefully that would eliminate issues or at least make future trouble shooting easier when you start from "known good".
Old 04-23-2012, 07:56 PM
Staging Lane

Default truck

See, that's what I thought as well but having not done this swap before, I figured that someone could tell me if it wasn't a good idea. I could not find a reason not to do it. I will be ordering tuners real soon. I can then learn while it's still in the doner.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Also, before disassembling anything, take plenty of photos/different angles.
I can't recall how many times I've been 'saved' by photos I thought were insignificant at the time they were taken, but later, provided the necessary info!
Old 04-24-2012, 09:46 AM
Staging Lane

Default Photos

Good Idea! Didn't think of that. I think I just stumbled upon another 5.3 and 4l60e in an 02 tahoe with 65k. Probably get it for about 600$. been sittin a year but it also has all the controls and acc. Wiring and ecm all seem to be intact. Was rearended. If this first swap goes well then I may do one on my 94 Ranger splash. 4 cyl and 5 speed, only 70k miles. That truck would be fun to drive with a 3:73 and the posi in it. One at a time though.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Because you plan to turbo, you might keep your eyes open for a good deal on some injectors.
If you're not already familiar with injector/power/fuel requirements, there's a sticky in the Fueling & Injection category, that has a plug-in formula for determining needed injector size.
LS1 requires 58lbs fuel pressure, & the injectors max out @ 80% duty cycle.
This is just a 'gathering info' step, as you probably haven't determined how much power you'll want.
Hey! You just taught me something. I didn't realize that one can add a header topic to the top of each reply... ("Photos"). This eliminates having to quote everyone.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: If this were you, how would you do it?