Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell me why I need both bolts on alternator housing for corvette accessory

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Tell me why I need both bolts on alternator housing for corvette accessory

Due to hood clearance issues with my truck accessories, I bought a complete set of used corvette accessories from an LS1 and made 1.5" spacers to clear the VVT. After looking at how gunked up the 100k+ mile corvette alternator was, I wanted to take it apart and clean it up and repaint the aluminum housing. Started that but found the innards of the alternator looked pretty gunky too and started considering just getting a rebuilt one, but the cheapest are $175 or so w/tax. And I have this nice 3k mile truck alternator, that already has the correct electrical connector for my harness. Unfortunately it does not fit in the corvette bracket. I made a spacer out of aluminum to mount it, but then it kicks the bottom way out and looks ugly. But w/o the bracket, the bottom of the alternator comes down past the bolt hole and bottoms against the bracket very securely w/in the bracket (so it can't twist). When I tighten the upper bolt, it's in there. Further, tension from the belt would tend to keep it secure. So, I'm tempted to just use one bolt. Obviously engineers have two bolts for a reason, but I'm hard pressed to think why this wouldn't work. Any good reasons I shouldn't do this?

Thx for keeping me out of trouble, but helping me not spend $$ if not necessary.
Attached Thumbnails Tell me why I need both bolts on alternator housing for corvette accessory-alternator-w-o-bolt.jpg  
Old 04-28-2012, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If its tight, I see no issues, but I'd still want a second bolt there for piece of mind.

I think a missing bolt will look worse than an ugly bracket. Maybe you could drill a hole in the bracket to bolt it up as it sits in the picture? At worst, see if you can put the second bolt through the existing hole as a limiter if something goes wrong.