Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another 89 Mustang Coupe LS Swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Another 89 Mustang Coupe LS Swap

Been lurking for a while, finally posting. Been wanting to do a LS swap in my coupe for a while, and finally going to do it. Ford motor decided it didnt like to be together anymore lol. Sold all my Vortech supercharger stuff, and unloading the rest of my Ford stuff here and there. Time to start gathering parts. The car is a 89 Mustang Coupe.

Already has:

Through the floor subframe connectors
Torque boxes welded up
Auburn Pro 8.8 with 4.10's
5-lug Conversion
Strange 10-way w/coil-overs on front
Strange 10-way on rear
Draglites big and skinnies
In-tank pickup
Magnafuel Pro Series EFI pump
Aeromotive EFI return style regulator
Dual fan setup with DCControl fan controller

Plans for the car are pretty simple. I want a car that I can get in and drive whenever I get the urge, get decent mileage (not huge, but definitely a plus), and be able to make some decent passes at the track and drive it back home. For the main pieces I'll pick up a motor/transmission (which at this point is looking like 5.3 and a 4L80E), Tubular K-member (leaning towards Team-Z), headers (trying to decide between Kooks or Dynatech), and harness (probably just order standalone).

I could modify my existing harness but I'm by no means an electrician lol. So I think I'll just be more comfortable ordering one and having them make exactly what I need. Any comments, ideas, suggestions are welcome. Also if there are any of you around the Houston area with any parts for the build, that would be great too. Anyway, here are a couple pictures of the car waiting for her new motor.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Look for a F body radiator/fans. They can be had pretty cheap and fit with the fox hold downs and brackets(extend a hole on the lower rad support) I paid like $75.00 for mine.
save yourself a ton of headaches and buy a PSI conversions harness. I have a camaro cluster with the PSI pig tail if you want to run an fbody cluster lmk I'll make you a good deal.

Matt
Old 10-10-2012, 06:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Pm me and let me know how much. Trying to decide between that or just getting the last couple autometer gauges I need.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:40 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good
Old 10-10-2012, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Clean car, what size are the rear wheels? Im still trying to decide what wheels to get.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bowtiedford
looks good
Thanks!!

Originally Posted by Tweek
Clean car, what size are the rear wheels? Im still trying to decide what wheels to get.
They are 15x8 with 5.5" backspacing. Don't get 4.5" backspacing, it pushes them out too much. 255/60/15 M/T Drag Radials
Old 10-10-2012, 11:24 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like you got a nice build going. I'm in the process of my 93 notch ls1/t56 build.
If I can ask why are you leaning towards the team z k-member? How about for the trans cross member which one are you going with?
Old 10-11-2012, 04:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Team-Z is pretty well known in the Mustang world. They really make a really nice product and have awesome customer service. Here is some info and a video on their K-member.

http://www.teamzmotorsports.net/prod...k-memswap3.htm

I'll probably go with the AJE trans crossmember
Old 10-11-2012, 09:34 AM
Teching In

I work at Hpp Racing i have the TT coupe the sliver one if you haven't heard of it you can find the car on You Tube look at Jay hpp tt. But i have long tubes that i made for the car when it was NA. I'll sale them for $350 you can call the shop at 972-395-9844 if you think it would work for you.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TxFireman1972
Team-Z is pretty well known in the Mustang world. They really make a really nice product and have awesome customer service. Here is some info and a video on their K-member.

http://www.teamzmotorsports.net/prod...k-memswap3.htm

I'll probably go with the AJE trans crossmember

Thanks for the link. I will check it out.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was unimpressed with my limited dealings with team z. I went the Aje route up front and having to make a 4l80e crossmember as aje is only for the 4l60e. I have been satisfied with the aje so far. Mine is a 1991 notch that is also a 5.3 with a 4l80. Be prepared to "massage" the trans tunnel for thbe larger transmission.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sarg
I was unimpressed with my limited dealings with team z. I went the Aje route up front and having to make a 4l80e crossmember as aje is only for the 4l60e. I have been satisfied with the aje so far. Mine is a 1991 notch that is also a 5.3 with a 4l80. Be prepared to "massage" the trans tunnel for thbe larger transmission.
Can you be more specific about what you were unimpressed with?

The "massaging" is another thing I was curious about. How much does it take?
Old 10-11-2012, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

Never being able to get them on the phone if you have a question. Aje was first time every time for me. Customer service was just lacking. I understand they are busy, but still.

As for the massaging, I just test fit the transmission marked the areas that I saw interference (around the plug and trans lines) then beat it out some with a BFH.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

Looks good

Go with team z stuff. I would have one in my car right not but the car is working really good and I don't want to change anything that might mess it up.

I really like the Dynatechs will go on and off the car with only removing the steering shaft

Tim
Old 10-11-2012, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Team-Z and Dynatech is definitely the direction I'm leaning.

Trying to make a decision on the transmission. Been reading a little about the 4R70W (Ford) transmission. I already have one of those. Anyone familiar with that setup? Where you cut off the bell housing, and use a replacement bell housing to bolt it to the LS motor?
Old 10-12-2012, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just swapped the AJE from my 91 into an 88 with no issues at all. I'm using the factory Cross member with a short tail shaft th350 trans.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

The build quality of the team z stuff is way better than the aje. As far as how they work it is the same.

Tim
Old 10-12-2012, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1bad03snake
I just swapped the AJE from my 91 into an 88 with no issues at all. I'm using the factory Cross member with a short tail shaft th350 trans.
you mean you're finally working on that thing? lol
Old 10-12-2012, 11:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sarg
Never being able to get them on the phone if you have a question. Aje was first time every time for me. Customer service was just lacking. I understand they are busy, but still.

As for the massaging, I just test fit the transmission marked the areas that I saw interference (around the plug and trans lines) then beat it out some with a BFH.
That's the issue I had too...I called 'em twice and never got a response...I chatted with Scott at ScottRod in Toledo(he is awesome) and he defended them that they were busy...I'm a busy guy too with no time to be making a bunch of phone calls begging someone to sell me their ****...I called Jim at AJE and he went above and beyond to help and answer questions...He told me about Borgeson who makes P/S lined that are direct bolt in that go from GM P/S pumps to Fox racks...They also have a kit to lower the pressure for the rack...Both kits together are like $100...Jim didn't have to promote another company but he did...Cool cats...Jus my 2 cents...
Old 10-12-2012, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm going Team-Z. Dave has answered every question I have had, every time. For this car I'm ordering the K-member, control arms, the tubular lower radiator support, and at some point the anti-roll bar for the rear. VERY nice products, that are extremely well built.

As far as the power steering, thats good info, that I definitely didn't know about. I wont be using it on this car though because I have a manual rack.

Quick Reply: Another 89 Mustang Coupe LS Swap