Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turbo lm7 foxbody swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 09:57 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the ford alternator gunna have enough power to keep up with the added load of the gm efi. The gm alt is more powerful than the ford alt and is pretty easy to wire up. and if the f-body pan doesnt work and the truck pan hangs too low use aa Hummer H3 pan. its cheap and will fit. its also called the "Muscle Car Pan".
Old 04-03-2013, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by v8sten
Is the ford alternator gunna have enough power to keep up with the added load of the gm efi. The gm alt is more powerful than the ford alt and is pretty easy to wire up. and if the f-body pan doesnt work and the truck pan hangs too low use aa Hummer H3 pan. its cheap and will fit. its also called the "Muscle Car Pan".
I will be using an upgraded alternator to keep up with the cooling fans and fuel pump etc this alternator is basically just for mock up. The upgraded ford alternator should be more then enough to power those things the lights and the microsquirt etc
Old 04-04-2013, 07:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by thatredgt
I would love to have started with a rust free body. But I purchased ths car when I was 17 its my first car and even tho its in bad shape I am doing my best to keep her alive
I totally understand the work looks great keep up the awesome work and keep it alive
Old 04-04-2013, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by v8sten

The Muscle car pan hangs down just as low as the GM truck pan...
Old 04-04-2013, 02:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Muscle car pan is about 3/4-1" shorter, but in my experience was still too low for my foxbody using the AJE kmember.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:14 PM
TECH Regular

Why not just build a skid plate that bolts to the k member, or sub to sub? You obviously have the metal skills. Granted, it's going to add some unwanted weight, but you can make it up elsewhere. Problem solved!

Nice fab work!
Old 04-04-2013, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

finally i turn the next corner and see something good
I stripped the passenger side carpet today and for once, basically no rust! there is a very small amount but NOTHING like what I have been finding so far. tomorrow im going to strip the sound deadening and really get a good look at what im working with on this side

Last edited by thatredgt; 04-04-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:19 AM
TECH Resident

The f-body pan will work perfect, that's what i'm using....
Old 04-05-2013, 07:17 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BottleFedZ346
The f-body pan will work perfect, that's what i'm using....
Ya when I mocked up the k member I took measurements and the ctsv and fbody pan will work fine. Prob guna go with the fbody. Are you using the upr kmember?
Old 04-06-2013, 01:01 AM
TECH Resident

Using the AJE!
Old 04-06-2013, 06:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is what I ended up with. I tried the muscle car pan and the truck pan (not in that order) and finally went to the fbody. Muscle car pan hung down about 3/4 of an inch too far still. Truck was way down there!
Old 04-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

I have the UPR k- member as well. Don't really like it but must push on. I used the F- body oil pan and it sits in there really nice. Got EVERYTHING I needed from superchevyperformance.com for $250!! (pan, tray, pick-up tube) it even comes with new bolts.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by onetype
Why not just build a skid plate that bolts to the k member, or sub to sub? You obviously have the metal skills. Granted, it's going to add some unwanted weight, but you can make it up elsewhere. Problem solved!

Nice fab work!
I had thought about a skid plate but decided against because I do plan on having this car sit pretty low when its done. So ya it won't do any damage to the oil pan but I would still Be scrapping all over the place. I am planning on the body pan
Old 04-10-2013, 09:47 AM
11 Second Club

Great project, nice to see you trying to hold onto your first car.

I used a QA1 fox k-member, custom mounts that set the engine down and back, custom k-member spacers and the Moroso pan.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Adam253
I have the UPR k- member as well. Don't really like it but must push on. I used the F- body oil pan and it sits in there really nice. Got EVERYTHING I needed from superchevyperformance.com for $250!! (pan, tray, pick-up tube) it even comes with new bolts.
I agree with you. I have had nothing but problems with upr so far. And how long ago did u buy that stuff for 250?
Old 04-10-2013, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

F
Originally Posted by DarkHorse
Great project, nice to see you trying to hold onto your first car.

I used a QA1 fox k-member, custom mounts that set the engine down and back, custom k-member spacers and the Moroso pan.
I took a look at you build. Looks good man
Old 04-16-2013, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

haven't done much lately, went to the track with some friends on sunday and took some videos with my gopro, but here is one from my cellphone of my buddy blowing up his mustang gt and a few pictures. The passenger side corner is all cut out, time to put some rust treatment and wire wheel it then start rebuilding the corner.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

haven't had any updates in awhile. been away from the car for a little bit had to switch it around because it was blocking our hot rod in. so had to pull it out of the garage get the hot rod out then shoved the mustang to the back of the garage. then we had a catastrophic failure with the 355 in our model t so I ended up just getting a 350 together we had sitting in the corner. now that the hot rod is running good im hoping to hit the mustang hard again. here are some pictures of the last few things i did before swapping the cars around, and a few from the hot rod engine.

pulled the tank to get it out of the way since i will be removing the rearend and replacing the torque boxes soon.

more rust

homemade wrist pin press

Old 05-10-2013, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Man that is a lot of cancer on that car. Good job with the resurection so far.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:40 PM
Staging Lane

pretty busy lately but i have been playing around with the car when I can. the drivers front corner is basically done one more little strip on the bottom. going to start on the passenger side corner tomorrow. I installed the new cam, timing chain, pushrods, comp cam trunnion upgrade kit, valvesprings and the fbody oil pan and pick up tube.

new cam in

Quick Reply: turbo lm7 foxbody swap