Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 mustang gt 5.3/t56

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 08:45 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by matt99
Ahh that's right I forgot about the drive shaft issue. I'm sure I could find a 03-04 cobra driveshaft and tinker around with it. Or maybe I could even use the tr6060 yoke if I decide to that route. I keep looking back to all the build threads into our body style mustangs so that mine goes as smooth as possible
There's really only a few detailed ones.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:51 AM

did you have to do anything special to the stock mustang computer? im looking to do the swap to mine soon. also are you using stock fuel pump?
Old 11-04-2013, 08:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by taylor98gt
did you have to do anything special to the stock mustang computer? im looking to do the swap to mine soon. also are you using stock fuel pump?
I didn't do anything with the stock ford computer. Just took it from it's original spot and moved it. Was gonna keep it to run the stock gauges.
I'm using the stock mustang fuel pump. It works fine for me as of now. I'm just all stock.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:59 AM
Launching!

Just a small update.

Pulled the motor and Trans around thanksgiving. Sold the t56 stuff. Bought a th400 and I'm just waiting to buy all the crap to build the 400, there's a guy on local cl that has one but it doesn't have any paper work and I'm going off what he says. So I'm trying to see if he will come down on his price but other than that I bought a shifter and stuff. Sold the wiring and Ecu. Building a completely new harness for it.
Other than that nothing else. Progress is slow.
Pulled those shitty iron 317's off to put the stock ones back in. And that's it

Old 12-22-2013, 11:42 PM
Teching In

I've been lurking around here for quite sometime debating if I wanted to do this swap to my new edge mustang gt. I've read this thread a few times, I was wondering what made you sell the t56 and get a th400? I wanted to do a t56 with a 6.0 but I've also thought about going auto for consistency. What exalted did you use for the power steering lines and did you have a problem with the pump pumping to much pressure? Also do you have a part number for the u joint you used? Did you ever get the Gauges to work and what radiator is that? Sorry there are some many questions but they are the only ones I can't seem to find clear answers on

I already have the aje k member and mounts( caught a deal to good to pass up) I'm working on collecting the rest of the parts and plan on doing a pretty in depth build thread on her once I start
Old 12-23-2013, 08:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ymaha05
I've been lurking around here for quite sometime debating if I wanted to do this swap to my new edge mustang gt. I've read this thread a few times, I was wondering what made you sell the t56 and get a th400? I wanted to do a t56 with a 6.0 but I've also thought about going auto for consistency. What exalted did you use for the power steering lines and did you have a problem with the pump pumping to much pressure? Also do you have a part number for the u joint you used? Did you ever get the Gauges to work and what radiator is that? Sorry there are some many questions but they are the only ones I can't seem to find clear answers on

I already have the aje k member and mounts( caught a deal to good to pass up) I'm working on collecting the rest of the parts and plan on doing a pretty in depth build thread on her once I start
It's ok. I went auto because I new my power goal was going to exceed the t56s capabilities on holding up and I didn't want to throw down 2k to get it built when I could spend just a little bit and get a 400 in there to hold it no problem. Plus I thought if I changed to auto I would enjoy driving more. (Weird I know)

The rad is a northern brand. I got it from a friend that goes through motorville. (150$)

I bought enough -6an line to do the fuel feed and powersteering lines. I used the an fittings from maximummotorsports for the rack. Bought a flow control valve. And made my lines. It works but I just think the pump is fucked. Haha

Gauges I never got to work because I'm lazy. Speedo I know for sure you can grab a signal from the abs sensor.
Tach you'll have to get. Tach adapter from Dakota digital.

The u joint is like presicion 355 ima have to check on that. You can get it at the parts store no problem.

Any more questions feel free to ask.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:35 PM
Teching In

I'm still up in the air on which way I want to go, I really enjoy my mustang being a manual. I guess well see how that desicion works out lol

Thanks I'm going to look into the power steering parts, I plan on buying the trans cross member then start working on collectingt the fuel and power steering parts. I'm not going to start my swap until I have all the parts collected. My car is my daily for now, and runs pretty well just needs more power

How much feet of hose did you end up getting and what were the dement ions of the radiator if you remember

I think I have a post saved where he said in theory how to hook all the gauges up, so I'll go back and look into it some more. I thinking would be pretty cool to have all the stock features work. Did you ever get a chance to runic at a track?

I may go pick up the u-joint while I'm out tomorrow, just going to make one less part I'll have to buy lol
Old 12-24-2013, 08:07 AM
Launching!

I'm still up in the air on which way I want to go, I really enjoy my mustang being a manual. I guess well see how that desicion works out lol

Thanks I'm going to look into the power steering parts, I plan on buying the trans cross member then start working on collectingt the fuel and power steering parts. I'm not going to start my swap until I have all the parts collected. My car is my daily for now, and runs pretty well just needs more power

How much feet of hose did you end up getting and what were the dement ions of the radiator if you remember

I think I have a post saved where he said in theory how to hook all the gauges up, so I'll go back and look into it some more. I thinking would be pretty cool to have all the stock features work. Did you ever get a chance to runic at a track?

I may go pick up the u-joint while I'm out tomorrow, just going to make one less part I'll have to buy lol
Haven't ran it at the track cause of the Trans. When I get it running again I plan to.

You can go vacuum set up like I did or keep the hydrobooster. I just met up with a local dude and he has all the stock hydrobooster stuff and has it hooked up to the gm pump. No cutting flaring of anything to the ford lines it screwed right in. He just looped the Ps cooler line but he said it hooked up and works like stock.

I bought 15ft of line. Had a couple feet when I was done. I ran one line from the tank to the rails. Used the vette filter reg in the stock locations of the mustang fuel filter. Them drilled a hole in the tank and used a fuel cell fitting and ran the return (return hose is like 10inchs long) works great back there. And yeah getting stock gauges would be awesome. And it's very possible.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:40 AM
Teching In

wow, I just read my last post and man does my ipad makes me seem like I cant put sentences together. haha

do you know which pump he was using?

I also planned to run a new line up to the rails, I read lastnight that some of the s10 guys have been using a Sonoma 2.2 flex fuel, fuel filter/ reg and for under $50 I may give it a try. Im going to try my best to make all the stock gauges work. I don't want a big tach hanging off my dash, I have enough people trying to race me with my car as it is. I also want to get a/c working it gets hot in the middle of the south haha this is going to be more of a Saturday night street car with some strip seeing as I live pretty much across the street from one
Old 12-24-2013, 09:45 AM
Launching!

wow, I just read my last post and man does my ipad makes me seem like I cant put sentences together. haha

do you know which pump he was using?

I also planned to run a new line up to the rails, I read lastnight that some of the s10 guys have been using a Sonoma 2.2 flex fuel, fuel filter/ reg and for under $50 I may give it a try. Im going to try my best to make all the stock gauges work. I don't want a big tach hanging off my dash, I have enough people trying to race me with my car as it is. I also want to get a/c working it gets hot in the middle of the south haha this is going to be more of a Saturday night street car with some strip seeing as I live pretty much across the street from one

hey used the stock truck ps pump.
i used the vette regulator i got it at rock auto for like 30-40 i think.
but they sell a filter/reg and the fittings on speedway motors for like 80$ its worth it because fittings add up lol
i don't have much gauges working (just the fuel level and volt gauge) and i can usually tell how fast I'm going and i can here the motor so tach and speedo didn't have me worried, for the longest time i didn't have a oil pressure gauge in it. when i first fired it, i was like. well no knocking. should be good! haha

yeah mines a street car that i have to daily,
Old 12-24-2013, 10:14 AM
Teching In

that's fuel filter kit is awesome! Im defiantly going to get that instead, most places I looked the filter alone was $160. but with that kit I can get a Walbro 255 and the filter for thae same price as just a filter from the auto parts store

I think fuel level would be the most important haha Had a motorcycle that had the fuel sensor break on me, I cant tell you how many times I ran out of gas and had to push it to a gas station lol

I will defiantly let you know how the A/c goes, ive been thinking about making a bracket got the stock ford Compressor and trying to go that route but I also thing you could use a gm one and just have to get some hoses made. Just have to make sure the voltage and current for the switches are within range to turn on the compressor, I have a hvac guy ill talk to and see if that would work. Im thinking if the refrigerant in both systems are the same they're going to require the same pressure, then just have to worry about getting it to turn on and off correctly
Old 12-24-2013, 02:16 PM
Launching!

Ac should be easy I talked to a couple guys that's done it and they said it was easier than you think.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:05 AM
Launching!

Just a crappy quick update. Build has been super slow. But we got a couple nice days here in Texas for me to go out and work on it some. Made a shifter base and mounted my shifter and cut the center console out so it will fit. Need to make a cover plate to cover the giant hole on it but that shouldn't take long.
Have been looking the internet for a good deal on a cam and I scored a custom grind around the same specs as I wanted and scooped it up with some springs. Cams brand new in the box so I'm pretty happy there.
Trans is finally done. Need a new rear tail housing for my yoke to fit but I should be getting that soon from the Trans guy.
Springs are on the spare 862's I had.
Iron 317's are gone gone gone.
Cams in the motor. Gonna buy a new oil pump and gonna pop out the pistons and gap the rings. Need to drop the pan anyway to get the lifter I accidentally dropped in there lol.
Other than that I'm about ready to order my converter and all the Trans cooler and lines and ready to throw the bitch in.
Here's a pic to show this isn't a complete lame update.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:56 PM
TECH Regular

Nice shifter relocate. I did the same thing. There is a guy that makes some really nice shifter plates and converts the old shifter hole into a gauge mount for 2 gauges. He is on FB page Mustang Addicts. Stuff aint cheap but is nice.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99MUSTANG5.3L
Nice shifter relocate. I did the same thing. There is a guy that makes some really nice shifter plates and converts the old shifter hole into a gauge mount for 2 gauges. He is on FB page Mustang Addicts. Stuff aint cheap but is nice.
Yeah his name is bubba. I have him as a friend. And yeah not cheap. But not a bad price either. I'm just gonna make my own cause I want to say I did that.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:49 AM
TECH Regular

Yea, me too. I want to do carbon fiber,prolly use vinyl wrap.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:01 PM
Teching In

im sure you have a lot of questions ask by mustang guys but any chance you can have one more? I recently have had so many electrical issues with mine that now it wont run and ive gotten to the point of saying efff the 4.6 and building it and take it out with all the harness and run an ls motor in it. but I do have some questions before I start to part out what I don't need
Old 02-16-2014, 10:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by anywereiroam
im sure you have a lot of questions ask by mustang guys but any chance you can have one more? I recently have had so many electrical issues with mine that now it wont run and ive gotten to the point of saying efff the 4.6 and building it and take it out with all the harness and run an ls motor in it. but I do have some questions before I start to part out what I don't need
Ask away. If you pull the 4.6 out you can pull the whole motor harness out. I kept the body harness. Just tucked it under the frame rails. Have to keep it for the blinkers and headlight and fan wiring. But I kept it so I can get the factory gauges working (in progress)
Other than that you can take it out and use the Chevy harness to run the motor.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:54 PM
Teching In

Awesome! I hope I make somewhat of sense.
I will be using the stock k member with the ls adapter plates,
as for oil pan I am looking into the cts-v pan,
but my biggest concern is the transmission and clutch setup.

I want to keep my t-3650 in there as it has a fresh rebuild. ive tried looking for a bellhousing adapter but only see one for a t-3550 could I use that one? id would also be changing the spline to fit the clutch id be using. if this works could I just stay with the cable setup instead of hydraulic ? I want this as it would be less money lol and more money towards the engine and suspension.

If my plan as stated above does not work what manual trans should I use?
I pretty much want one that'll work with the stock driveshaft and cross-member due to my lack of ability to fabricate.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by anywereiroam
Awesome! I hope I make somewhat of sense.
I will be using the stock k member with the ls adapter plates,
as for oil pan I am looking into the cts-v pan,
but my biggest concern is the transmission and clutch setup.

I want to keep my t-3650 in there as it has a fresh rebuild. ive tried looking for a bellhousing adapter but only see one for a t-3550 could I use that one? id would also be changing the spline to fit the clutch id be using. if this works could I just stay with the cable setup instead of hydraulic ? I want this as it would be less money lol and more money towards the engine and suspension.

If my plan as stated above does not work what manual trans should I use?
I pretty much want one that'll work with the stock driveshaft and cross-member due to my lack of ability to fabricate.
I don't think your current Trans will work. Sorry to tell you that but you can sell it and then buy a t56 from an Fbody. Not a corvette or a ctsv. The ctsv will work but you cannot use the stock length driveshaft. I personally used a camaro t56. I used the stock mustang drive shaft and used a conversion yoke. Only thing I needed to do to the body was cut 2in back on the opening of the Trans shifter hole. Cable to hydraulic conversion you can do one or two things. Do what I did. (Read thread) or buy the mcload or whatever kit it's around 500$ it's probably well worth it because I had a bunch if labor in my setup.

Quick Reply: 99 mustang gt 5.3/t56