Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transforming a tired Nova

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 08:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Transforming a tired Nova

I have done quite a few car builds in the past, but I have never tried a project like this or a documentation like this. This has started out as a simple father son project for the son to have a nice first car. I have always wanted to try a fuel injected project, so what better opportunity than this one. We purchased a 1970 Nova that was in pretty good shape. The trunk pan was rusted out and the passenger's side has a little damage, but nothing that can't be fixed. We have started preparing the Nova while we had been searching for a 5.3/4l60e combination. I thought this was going to be the best way to go, until I read how many parts would need to be changed, in order to get the drivetrain to fit in the X-body. I switched my plans and decided to search for an LS1 drivetrain. A search of the local salvage yards turned up nothing, so Ebay and Craigslist were the next choice. I found this Camaro listed in the Atlanta area, and I was able to make a deal with him. It was a lot more than I had ever planned on getting. I was really lucky to find such a great starting point. I will now have to start researching what it will take to get the manual six speed transmission set up into this car. I have no idea what mounts or anything else I will go with, but I am sure someone has already figured this out. It will be a while before I get to that point anyways, so there is time to figure it out. I will try to keep an updated thread as we go. A few other projects to get completed before we dive really hard into this project, but I wanted to get the thread under way. If you have any advice or words of wisdom for us, we would appreciate all we can get as we go about with this build. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Transforming a tired Nova-matts-077.jpg   Transforming a tired Nova-matts-224.jpg   Transforming a tired Nova-matts-230.jpg   Transforming a tired Nova-matts-087.jpg   Transforming a tired Nova-matts-222.jpg  

Transforming a tired Nova-matts-228.jpg   Transforming a tired Nova-matts-225.jpg  
Old 02-25-2013, 12:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Looks like a cool project. And getting a low mileage SS Camaro as a donor is a nice starting point. Ill be watching this one!

But as for advice, the only thing that comes to mind immediately is this may be too much car for a 16 year olds first car. I remember the chaos my friends and I raised with the old 350's. A 6 speed LS1 could be dangerous in the hands of an inexperienced driver. Might want to get him something a little tamer to drive first and let him get some drive time under his belt first. This is just my opinion based on what I would have done if I had had a car like that when I first got my license, so don't think I'm trying to tell you how to raise your kid.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I second the sentiment of ls1nova71 , I started a similar father daughter project some years ago. The idea is absolutely fantastic, my result was to buy her a starter car to "learn" (read scratch and dent with one offroad experience) and then graduate to the project. In the interim my rule was always A & B get keys, C & D get Nikes. I ended up keeping the car for myself.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:12 AM
Teching In

I do understand that advice. I currently have an 18 year old son that gave us quite a few growing pains. I learned how to rebuild Toyota pickups because of him. Three accidents before we finally had to retire it. I have an old GMC Sonoma that serves as a great starter truck. This son will spend some time cutting his teath on it before he gets the keys to the LS1. Momma already said she will take it if he doesn't play his cards right. Thanks for your thoughts and replies. I look forward to getting to know the community better as this build takes shape.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:37 AM
Launching!

I love the father/son or daughter builds. Exactly what i did with my daughter's nova. One other piece of advice i can give is think how long it will take you, then double it. Life, school, $$$ always get in the way and a project seems to take back burner at times. And oh yeah, build the car first, i mean everything right down to the wheels and tires ( no interior yet) then tear it down for paint. I had the opportunity for a great deal on bodywork and paint, then had to work around that to finish the car. Nothing gets you puckered up like having to stab an engine 3 or 4 times over freshly painted fenders and such. Now i would build it, tear it apart, paint/powdercoat subframe, paint underneath, paint the engine bay and all the jambs, install drivetrain, then body work and paint. Just my two cents worth.
It will be a great opportunity to bond, worked well for my daughter and me.
Look up Project High School in the search threads.
Good Luck

Quick Reply: Transforming a tired Nova