Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator Wiring Issue...need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 12:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Wiring Issue...need help

Have a 79 elco with 2004 5.3 Silverado Vortec. I have already replaced one alternator, and rewired to what I THOUGHT migh be correct. However, battery needs charging consistantly, and car dies immediately if positive is disconnected.

Trying not to have to do this again, I have a come to the trusted experts once again. Back of alternator wired to starter. On the plug top HOT wire to battery (S on alternator), and taped wire (I on alternator) hides a 470 Ohm 1/2 watt resistor wired to idiot light. L and P on alternator inactive. Although I have looked at numerous diagrams, have I wired incorrectly? And If so and I fix it, will alternator work or have I shot this one too? Same thing...will I need to replace resistor?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:31 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoTTi-RR
Have a 79 elco with 2004 5.3 Silverado Vortec. I have already replaced one alternator, and rewired to what I THOUGHT migh be correct. However, battery needs charging consistantly, and car dies immediately if positive is disconnected.

Trying not to have to do this again, I have a come to the trusted experts once again. Back of alternator wired to starter. On the plug top HOT wire to battery (S on alternator), and taped wire (I on alternator) hides a 470 Ohm 1/2 watt resistor wired to idiot light. L and P on alternator inactive. Although I have looked at numerous diagrams, have I wired incorrectly? And If so and I fix it, will alternator work or have I shot this one too? Same thing...will I need to replace resistor?

You only need the resistor if you are not using a light to excite the alternator. If you are using a light and a resistor then you are most likely not even exciting the alternator.

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 02-28-2013, 12:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Is it safe to assume the 'HOT WIRE' you are referring to is the one going back to position C2 (Red) 15 on the PCM? This is not wired directly to 12 volts. It goes through the PCM. Just confirming.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 02-28-2013, 01:15 PM
Teching In

Sorry for not explaining earlier....this is a carbed unit. There is no pcm on this car. Also, I took the resistor out, and while car is idling, still read 12.2 volts across battery. Not sure if resistor could have damaged alternator, or if I have something else wrong.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:48 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Sorry for not explaining earlier....this is a carbed unit. There is no pcm on this car. Also, I took the resistor out, and while car is idling, still read 12.2 volts across battery. Not sure if resistor could have damaged alternator, or if I have something else wrong.
To test, use the resistor inline on the alternator 4 way metripack connector to an ignition power source. Dont use the bulb. If the bulb has too much resistance it wont excite the alternator. If it has too little resistance it can or could have damaged the alternator.

The only time a resistor is used is on a carbed setup or a 1998 and older lsx/ltx stand alone setup.

LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 02-28-2013, 10:03 PM
Teching In

got it figured out...the exciter was wrong...had to go to "L", then put in resistor, and wired to wiper circuit...idiot circuit was dead...imagine that. thanks all for the help!
Old 02-28-2013, 11:25 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

got it figured out...the exciter was wrong...had to go to "L", then put in resistor, and wired to wiper circuit...idiot circuit was dead...imagine that. thanks all for the help!
Awesome! I just assumed that you had it in cavity B for the L terminal. Its always the simple things!

sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491

Quick Reply: Alternator Wiring Issue...need help