Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A-body 4l60e column shift linkage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 348 Likes on 235 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default A-body 4l60e column shift linkage?

I've done a lot of searching...I just can't seem to find a good pic of how everyone's doing there A-body column shifted 4l60e linkage.

I'm using 1" setback mounts. Doesn't look like my factory linkage will make it with the 1 inch setback...

(I've seen the Kugel Komponents/Shitworks straight arm kit...it looks like it will hit my floorboard though..??)

Thanks in advance for any pics or advice.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used the Ididit cable column shift conversion. This was on a 6L80 but is made for a 4L60E. Worked out just fine.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not use a cable? I am using a B&M cable on my pickup with column shifted 4L60e.
A bit of work, but does the job. Only problem I have is I cant get 1st gear manually, not that worries me.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't help you directly.. as I did a T56 on my chevelle.. but if you read my Nova swap (link in the sig) starting around post #118... I did some researching and so R&D to get mine to work.

I looked at the Shiftworks and Lokar.. I tried to use one long rod between the column are and the trans link/shaft (made a linkage).. but since I moved the engine/trans back.. You have to have a line of site between the two.. so that didn't work for me.

I next re-engineered the OEM setup by extending the arms on the mid shaft linkage and made adjustable rods. I moved the mid linkage to a point where it would clear the headers.

I then had to figure out the correct placement of the rods on the cross shaft link.. but I finally got the correct ratio by trial and error.

If you don't use any of the ShiftWorks or Lokar its. Hopefully my setup might give you some ideas to get yours to work.

BC
Old 06-17-2013, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
I used the Ididit cable column shift conversion. This was on a 6L80 but is made for a 4L60E.

Originally Posted by Ian Johnston
Why not use a cable? I am using a B&M cable on my pickup with column shifted 4L60e.

Thanks for the idea about using a cable...I've been out of the loop so long I didn't even know that option existed...off to research.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by bczee
I next re-engineered the OEM setup by extending the arms on the mid shaft linkage and made adjustable rods. I moved the mid linkage to a point where it would clear the headers.

I then had to figure out the correct placement of the rods on the cross shaft link.. but I finally got the correct ratio by trial and error.

If you don't use any of the ShiftWorks or Lokar its. Hopefully my setup might give you some ideas to get yours to work.

BC

Ok...found these pics in your build thread...I am definitely going to try something like this before I go the cable route...

It's quite a bit different than my a-body linkage...but it gives me an idea to go off of.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, I know what the A-Body one looks like, as mine was a TH350 before swapping over.. maybe you can try to mod the A-Body one or find a X-Body one and adapt it on to the frame rail ?.. you can see the frame mount of the X-Body one, it will just about bolt to most frames.

For the cross linkage. it is a stock x-Body one. I just welded on some 1" x 1/8" flat bar and bent it around. I drilled multiple holes on each of the ears of the linkage to be able to adjust the ratio.

Hope it helps..

BC
Old 06-18-2013, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by bczee
find a X-Body one and adapt it on to the frame rail ?.. you can see the frame mount of the X-Body one, it will just about bolt to most frames.

Hope it helps..

BC

I've got a couple of old X-bodys in my bone pile...I know I have one of these linkages...this most definitely helps.

As you said these look much easier to adapt than the factory A-body stuff...

Quick Reply: A-body 4l60e column shift linkage?