Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L99 swap Oil pressure release valve?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default L99 swap Oil pressure release valve?

Hey guys I just put a new L99 and 6spd auto from a new camaro in a 73 caprice. I've seen that I need to add some sort of pressure relief valve to the oil pan. What is the valve I need to add? Is it simply drilled and tapped into the oil pan? Not to much info other than it needs to be added.

Also can I start the car long enough to hear it run a few seconds without this done? It's pretty much done I cut and fabbed the core support to fit the Camaro radiator neatly and cleaned up everything under the hood. Ill start a build thread soon have a couple car finished and several in line. Love my job! Pic from when I first got the engine in.

Last edited by retardedpenguin; 09-28-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pressure relief valve is in the oil filter. Was in the block or pan before, but since the gen IV it is in the filter so it gets replaced every oil change. Since you have the L99 I would keep good oil and change it often. Too many horror stories from guys buying new trucks or suv's then getting their oil changed at walmart, if your lucky you will trip a code in not expect to buy an engine.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What oil pan are you using? The factory AFM oil pans have a pressure relief valve on the inside of the oil pan next to the two holes on the driver's rear side of the pan.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GMPP kit, I think it's the LH8 oil pan. I see the valve built in to the original pan, how do I add it to the new one? And how long can I run the engine without it? I finished the swap for my customer yesterday and would like to start it for him before I have to pull it back out.

Quick Reply: L99 swap Oil pressure release valve?