Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker 1st-gen/Nova swap parts info

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 08:36 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cannot wait until they are for sale, as I am starting to gather parts for the 72 nova swap
If you sell this as kit, headers, exhaust system and trans crossmember you have a buyer.

Do you happen to have any pictures showing how it clears the power steering unit? Thank you

Last edited by Sebtarta; 12-16-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sebtarta... Todd posted a picture in the pan thread Sticky.. #575..

hope this helps..

BC
Old 12-16-2013, 11:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by HexenLord
With the extra clearance in the front half of this pan, is it possible to use the big block frame stands and big block mounts with 1" setback plates now, or are the small block stands/mounts still required?

This is going in a 3rd generation nova. I read that some of the pans with more front clearance allow for the engine to sit a little lower so that the big block stands/mounts can be used. This didn't apply to the older pan, it was 2.4" tall in the front compared to the new pan at 1.25"
The new oil pan geometry was optimized for use with the new Hooker 1st-gen F-body/3rd-gen Nova LS swap engine mount bracket kit and is the only fitment reference I can give at this point since no other combination of parts were tested. However, the front profile of the pan is 1.25" as you mentioned and therefore provides expanded bolt-in compatibility with more applications than the existing 302-1 Holley pan does.

The new Hooker mount kit is unique in the fact that it eliminates the frame stands and swap plates (and their deficiencies) from the equation entirely and retrofits GM clamshells onto the subframe to support the engine. Clamshells were designed by GM as an improvement over the old style mounts, so you get the advantage of having better vibration isolation and better engine inclination/U-joint working angles when using the new Hooker engine mounts in conjunction with the new Hooker transmission crossmembers for this swap application.

A key point to note here is that the existing 302-1 pan was designed primarily to provide clearance for stroker crankshafts and full-length windage trays, knowing that clearancing/notching of certain vehicle components would be required to install it in various applications. The new 302-2 oil pan was designed with from an outside-in perspective so to speak, to provide extra clearance around known problematic components in a bolt-on fashion. Niether design is better than the other as they each have fitment/compatibility attributes that would be valuable to some and useless to others.

In regards to using Big Block stands for your LS swap, I see that as being disadvantages due to the nature of their passenger-side and forward bias, which will create various fitment issues that come to mind (700R4/4L60 case servo piston cover collision with the tunnel sheetmetal and passenger side header collision with the subframe being the two major ones; there are a few more as well that would take me another two paragraphs to explain).

The new Hooker engine mounts and crossmembers for this application position the engine and transmission dead center in the subframe and provide a 3 degree installed inclination angle to be sure you end up with working U-joint angles you can realistically use on the street and in a competition environment.

I hope this is useful to you.

Todd
Old 12-16-2013, 11:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by novaskilling
Awesome thread! I bought the autokraft pan and mounts already, but they recommend running hooker headers. When will the long tubes be available? These work with the motor sitting in stock sbc location? Can you supply part numbers for the headers and for the trans crossmember? Thanks Chris.
Thanks for the input. The Hooker headers that Autokraft is recommending are the existing ones that have been on the market for a few years now (2288HKR). Those headers were limited to 1-3/4" primaries and were designed to use the typical universal swap mount plate method of installation as most of the other headers of the market are. Unfortunately, the specific engine set-back used in their development is not compatible with the geometry of the new Hooker crossmembers, headers or exhaust systems coming out. Their installation requires positioning the engine immediately adjacent to the firewall, which is not entirely desirebly from an overall parts compatibility standpoint (especially if you intend to run any GM automatic transmission).

The new headers coming out feature completely new bend geometry which is only compatible with the clamshell retrofit geometry of the matching Hooker engine mounting brackets and are available with 1-3/4" or 1-7/8" primaries in mild steel or stainless steel.

The new engine mounting bracket kit and the two crossmembers are now on the shelf and the long-tube and mid-length headers will be following them with a release in January.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sebtarta
Cannot wait until they are for sale, as I am starting to gather parts for the 72 nova swap
If you sell this as kit, headers, exhaust system and trans crossmember you have a buyer.

Do you happen to have any pictures showing how it clears the power steering unit? Thank you
Hey Sebtarta. The parts were indeed engineered as a complete system, but you'll have to create your own "kit" based on your needs as there are far to many possible combinations of parts to allow us to package them in that fashion. To consider further, there are engine mounts, transmission crossmembers, crossmember adapters kits, mid-length headers and long-tube headers (in multiple tube size, material and finish options) and 2.5" and 3" exhaust systems to choose from, which makes the volume of possible kit numbers rather cumbersome. I can however suggest that you press the source you order the parts from to do the leg work for you in pulling the part numbers together for you and let them earn their money.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Here's a couple of shots showing the top side bend geometry of the long-tube headers. The set in the picture are ceramic coated mild steel and we'll also be offering them in the stainless steel version that features the same investment cast flanges and one-piece formed merge collectors that we recently released with the Hooker 2nd-gen Camaro LS swap headers.
Attached Thumbnails New Hooker 1st-gen/Nova swap parts info-img_2391.jpg   New Hooker 1st-gen/Nova swap parts info-img_2388.jpg  
Old 12-16-2013, 12:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bczee
Sebtarta... Todd posted a picture in the pan thread Sticky.. #575..

hope this helps..

BC

I like that there are no issues with the spark plugs.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:07 PM
TECH Junkie

I like that there are no issues with the spark plugs.
None whatsoever, you can run the stock OE wires with the large metal heat shields if you like and you can service the plugs as easily as you can with the stock cast iron manifolds in place. That's a feature that's sure to be appreciated I'm sure.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Toddoky
The new oil pan geometry was optimized for use with the new Hooker 1st-gen F-body/3rd-gen Nova LS swap engine mount bracket kit and is the only fitment reference I can give at this point since no other combination of parts were tested. However, the front profile of the pan is 1.25" as you mentioned and therefore provides expanded bolt-in compatibility with more applications than the existing 302-1 Holley pan does.

The new Hooker mount kit is unique in the fact that it eliminates the frame stands and swap plates (and their deficiencies) from the equation entirely and retrofits GM clamshells onto the subframe to support the engine. Clamshells were designed by GM as an improvement over the old style mounts, so you get the advantage of having better vibration isolation and better engine inclination/U-joint working angles when using the new Hooker engine mounts in conjunction with the new Hooker transmission crossmembers for this swap application.

A key point to note here is that the existing 302-1 pan was designed primarily to provide clearance for stroker crankshafts and full-length windage trays, knowing that clearancing/notching of certain vehicle components would be required to install it in various applications. The new 302-2 oil pan was designed with from an outside-in perspective so to speak, to provide extra clearance around known problematic components in a bolt-on fashion. Niether design is better than the other as they each have fitment/compatibility attributes that would be valuable to some and useless to others.

In regards to using Big Block stands for your LS swap, I see that as being disadvantages due to the nature of their passenger-side and forward bias, which will create various fitment issues that come to mind (700R4/4L60 case servo piston cover collision with the tunnel sheetmetal and passenger side header collision with the subframe being the two major ones; there are a few more as well that would take me another two paragraphs to explain).

The new Hooker engine mounts and crossmembers for this application position the engine and transmission dead center in the subframe and provide a 3 degree installed inclination angle to be sure you end up with working U-joint angles you can realistically use on the street and in a competition environment.

I hope this is useful to you.

Todd
Header and transmission clearance aren't a problem in my circumstance, but I'll check them out. Have a link to these new mounts?
Old 12-16-2013, 03:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by HexenLord
Header and transmission clearance aren't a problem in my circumstance, but I'll check them out. Have a link to these new mounts?
http://www.holley.com/12618HKR.asp
This is the product page for the mounts on the Holley website were you'll see a photo of the mounting brackets and also a PDF copy of the instructions if you want to see what it takes to get them into your car. The kit includes the subframe adapter plates, the engine brackets and all the hardware excluding the main 1/2" x 5.5" long tie bolts that couple the engine brackets to the clamshells, you will have to source those and the clamshell rubber mounts locally (they both available at just about any big box auto parts retailer). The absence of the clamshells and bolts was done to allow you to choose the type/grade of mount and bolt you desire; you can run a stock rubber, aftermarket poly insert or solid piece on the mounts and choose grade 5 or grade 8 bolts to couple them to the brackets we provide. That means you can go low-dough or overkill on the combination, it's entirely up to you.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:41 AM
Launching!

Well, I jumped into the Hooker Header boat. I have placed my order with Summit - headers, mounts and cross member.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Well, I jumped into the Hooker Header boat. I have placed my order with Summit - headers, mounts and cross member.
You will not be disappointed Sebtarta. Make sure part of your plan includes a compatible oil pan so that you won't have issues in that area. You can use the new Holley 302-2 oil pan, a notched 4th-gen F-body pan or one of the various aftermarket sheet metal pans for sure. Let me know if you need further help in determining what will fit and what wont...thanks for taking the jump.

Todd
Old 12-19-2013, 08:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Todd, It mentions in the instructions for the mounts that they will work with the mid-length headers....is that correct? I already have the new 302-2 pan.....
Old 12-19-2013, 10:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jblakeslee
Todd, It mentions in the instructions for the mounts that they will work with the mid-length headers....is that correct? I already have the new 302-2 pan.....
Yes they do.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:37 AM
Staging Lane

Todd, I ordered a new 302-2 pan and received the package. When I opened it, the packing slip said item number: 302-2, but the packing checklist say's p/n 302-1, and so do the instructions.....How do I know I have the right pan? I already had a 302-1 I sent back to Jeg's. I ordered this one from Holley.com.....
Old 12-21-2013, 09:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jblakeslee
Todd, I ordered a new 302-2 pan and received the package. When I opened it, the packing slip said item number: 302-2, but the packing checklist say's p/n 302-1, and so do the instructions.....How do I know I have the right pan? I already had a 302-1 I sent back to Jeg's. I ordered this one from Holley.com.....
Sounds like you may have been shipped the wrong part...the new 302-2 pan has the step in bottom profile of the pan as where the 302-1 has a smooth profile extending all the way from the sump to the front of the pan. The new pan measures 1.25" tall at the front and the 302-1 measures approximately 2.25" tall at the front.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:17 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love the new parts. Saw them at PRI and immediately put a few of the oil pans on order.

The headers are pretty great especially for the price range too! Im sure they will be a good seller.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MikeFSKSpeed
Love the new parts. Saw them at PRI and immediately put a few of the oil pans on order.

The headers are pretty great especially for the price range too! Im sure they will be a good seller.
Thanks for sharing your impressions of the new parts Mike. Did you happen to catch the live Roadkill LS7/4L60 swap while you were at PRI? Those two guys completed the swap with basic hand tools in just 3 days using the new Hooker mounts, transmission crossmember, long-tube headers and exhaust system and then hopped in the the car and drove it 2,200 miles back to California...it's made the swap as easy and guess-free as replacing a small block engine in a 1st-gen finally.

Did you notice that the long-tube headers were displayed in both their ceramic coated mild steel versions and also the stainless steel version with the proprietary investment cast components and formed merge collectors? We'll also be offering mid-length headers for this application as well, which means there will be something available from Hooker to suit to suit the widest range of budgets possible.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:09 AM
Staging Lane

Todd, After acouple of e mails with Travis at Holley, I found out I do have the correct pan.....but the 302-1 instructions and paperwork........He sent me the correct revised instruction that covers both the -1 and -2 pans....

So I am good to go
Old 12-21-2013, 05:23 PM
Teching In

will the auto crossmember support any 4l80e's by chance?
im collecting parts for my 69 camaro aswell

Quick Reply: New Hooker 1st-gen/Nova swap parts info