Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker 1st-gen/Nova swap parts info

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 06:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

No sir it won't, but enough of you have been inquiring about that application that I feel I'm going to have to get crackin' on some more CAD and FEA work to whip something up for a springtime release.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Here's a couple of shots showing the top side bend geometry of the long-tube headers. The set in the picture are ceramic coated mild steel and we'll also be offering them in the stainless steel version that features the same investment cast flanges and one-piece formed merge collectors that we recently released with the Hooker 2nd-gen Camaro LS swap headers.
I tried to find pricing on these long tube 1st gen camaro headers,specificly the stainless ones and cannot find it,Can you provide pricing and availability on these?Also how far do these new mounts place the back of the passenger side head from the firewall?
Old 12-22-2013, 03:35 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SUPERBOOST
I tried to find pricing on these long tube 1st gen camaro headers,specificly the stainless ones and cannot find it,Can you provide pricing and availability on these?Also how far do these new mounts place the back of the passenger side head from the firewall?
Your best bet is to call Summit, that is what I did. Toddoky sent me the part #s back then, here they are

The part numbers for the headers are as follows...

2275HKR- 1-3/4" primaries, painted
2275-1HKR- 1-3/4" primaries, silver ceramic
2275-3HKR- 1-3/4" primaries, black ceramic
2275-7HKR- 1-3/4" primaries, stainless steel

2276HKR- 1-7/8" primaries, painted
2276-1HKR- 1-7/8" primaries, silver ceramic
2276-3HKR- 1-7/8" primaries, black ceramic
2276-7HKR- 1-7/8" primaries, stainless steel
I should be getting the engine mounts and x member this Tuesday. Perfect for an early Xmas gift Will post pictures then.

Last edited by Sebtarta; 12-22-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SUPERBOOST
The 1st-gen parts have started their release, but the headers are not yet out and it will be a few more weeks minimum until they are due to the holiday slow down at our manufacturing facility. The pricing of the headers will pretty much follow that of the recently released Hooker 2nd-gen LS swap headers, so look up part number 2296-7HKR on summit's site and that will give you the general idea of the price you can expect to pay for the stainless versions. I will post up a couple of photos that show you the distance from the back of the passenger side head to the firewall tomorrow when I get to work and off the top of me head I'd say the distance is 1-1/2"- 1-3-4".
Old 12-23-2013, 10:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Default Engine to firewall clearance with Hooker mounts

Here you go superboost, these two pics should tell you what you need to know. As a note, the engine position allow you to use the stock small block heater core or the stock A/C evaporator housing if desired and also provides the needed room to install a dipstick on automatic transmission applications. If you look closely you can see the Hooker clamshell retrofit mount under the header.
Attached Thumbnails New Hooker 1st-gen/Nova swap parts info-img_2387.jpg   New Hooker 1st-gen/Nova swap parts info-img_1847.jpg  
Old 12-24-2013, 01:09 PM
Launching!

Got my engine mounts and cross member. Very disappointed on the packaging and inventory count before shipping.

Engine mounts part # 12618HKR, bolts all over the place. Once nut was hiding inside the paper.

Cross member part # 12625HKR, I have the spacer plate is missing in action.

Will report back with fitment once i get the engine delivered next week.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sebtarta
Got my engine mounts and cross member. Very disappointed on the packaging and inventory count before shipping.

Engine mounts part # 12618HKR, bolts all over the place. Once nut was hiding inside the paper.

Cross member part # 12625HKR, I have the spacer plate is missing in action.

Will report back with fitment once i get the engine delivered next week.
I appreciate you giving the thorough accounting of the box contents and will forward your comments to our manufacturing facility to tidy up the packaging for customers receiving future shipments. I also apologize for the missing spacer...if you call the Tech Service line tomorrow they will take care of it for you immediately. I know they were rushing to get these kits packaged and shipped out before the holiday break and it seems to have affected the time and effort put into the packaging of them. Again, my apologies from the Hooker/Holley team.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:31 PM
Launching!

Just a quick update. Spoke with Hooker Tech, they are sending the spacer right away. The tech also mentioned he was going to pass the email with pictures to the shipping manager to correct the issue with the lack of protection for the contents.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

As a note, the engine position allow you to use the stock small block heater core or the stock A/C evaporator housing if desired
Have you mocked it up to show the actual clearances with the evaporator housing? Based on the tube routing, it looks like it would indeed provide header clearance, but I am curious about the clearance between the evaporator housing and the corner of the cylinder head (where the casting number is located) and the housing along with the #8 coil. These are areas that were very close for me using Dougs 1/2" setback adapters and Dougs headers on my '70 Nova w/ stock AC.

Also do you have any word on what stock accessory drives will fit this combination? For example, will the stock lower '98-'02 F-body driver's low alternator mounting location work? What about the newer 2010+ Camaro alternator (which mounts differently in the same location)? The ship has sailed for me but this would be helpful information for other swappers.

If this were on the market when I was buying headers and mounts I would have strongly considered it since your system appears to have equal length primaries, good spark plug clearance, reasonable PS box clearance, good ground clearance, and AC clearance (though I assume there would still be trouble mounting a low passenger compressor)
Old 01-22-2014, 03:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Fitment of Hooker parts on 72' Nova

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
Have you mocked it up to show the actual clearances with the evaporator housing? Based on the tube routing, it looks like it would indeed provide header clearance, but I am curious about the clearance between the evaporator housing and the corner of the cylinder head (where the casting number is located) and the housing along with the #8 coil. These are areas that were very close for me using Dougs 1/2" setback adapters and Dougs headers on my '70 Nova w/ stock AC.

Also do you have any word on what stock accessory drives will fit this combination? For example, will the stock lower '98-'02 F-body driver's low alternator mounting location work? What about the newer 2010+ Camaro alternator (which mounts differently in the same location)? The ship has sailed for me but this would be helpful information for other swappers.

If this were on the market when I was buying headers and mounts I would have strongly considered it since your system appears to have equal length primaries, good spark plug clearance, reasonable PS box clearance, good ground clearance, and AC clearance (though I assume there would still be trouble mounting a low passenger compressor)
Here's the images related to clearance of the Hooker headers around the A/C evaporator housing when used with the required Hooker mounts; they also allow you to use a SB heater core so you don't have to switch to a BB core and you can use OE plug wires also (=$$$ saved). You can run a 4th-gen low-mount alternator if you are willing to notch the engine crossmember for the proper clearance, or you can use the affordable Holley upper-mount relocation bracket or something similar if you don't care for doing that. The stock low-mount compressor as you know will not work with an engine set-back of this distance without notching the engine crossmember. If you were willing to do that, there would be interference issues with the passenger side Hooker engine bracket, so you would have to do a custom modification to that bracket to set it back further on the engine/crossmember. I've already contemplated the fabrication steps to do that in my head and it can be done. The clearance around the steering box is more than "reasonable" as you put it as there is no less than 1/2" clearance at the closest point with the 1-7/8" primaries and would be even more with the 1-3/4" primary headers. Thanks for noticing the effort on the primary tube lengths also, not many people seem to care much about that anymore.
Attached Thumbnails New Hooker 1st-gen/Nova swap parts info-img_1847.jpg   New Hooker 1st-gen/Nova swap parts info-img_1843.jpg   New Hooker 1st-gen/Nova swap parts info-img_1839.jpg   New Hooker 1st-gen/Nova swap parts info-img_1833.jpg   New Hooker 1st-gen/Nova swap parts info-img_1882.jpg  

Old 01-22-2014, 05:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Great response and very happy to see this. You may want to add the same images and info here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...8-74-nova.html

The only reasonably priced equal length swap headers available were the Edelbrocks that went out of production, so these really fill a need and they look fantastic. Also the Holley accessory drive is a great matchup if you have the money.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
Great response and very happy to see this. You may want to add the same images and info here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...8-74-nova.html

The only reasonably priced equal length swap headers available were the Edelbrocks that went out of production, so these really fill a need and they look fantastic. Also the Holley accessory drive is a great matchup if you have the money.
Thanks for the critique Bandit, I really appreciate the feedback. I might post up the photos on the link you provided towards the end of the week. Coincidentally, I just received a 72' Nova in here today borrowed from another member on this site and have loaded an LS and 4L65 into it using all the Hooker components so I can prototype a Nova specific exhaust system that we will be offering in a couple of months to go along with the mounting components and headers...if there is anything you would like me to measure or take pictures of while it's here, I would be glad to do that for you. I will posting photos of the components on this car as I work on it to allow others to chime in and ask ask similar questions. I don't know if you caught the fact that I just received the car today and already have the engine and trans mounted in it, which should be an indicator as to how easy these components make this swap. Here's where I'm leaving off on the project tonight after working on it no more than a couple of hours.

Thanks again,

Todd
Attached Thumbnails New Hooker 1st-gen/Nova swap parts info-img_2439.jpg   New Hooker 1st-gen/Nova swap parts info-img_2441.jpg   New Hooker 1st-gen/Nova swap parts info-img_2442.jpg   New Hooker 1st-gen/Nova swap parts info-img_2455.jpg   New Hooker 1st-gen/Nova swap parts info-img_2447.jpg  

Last edited by Toddoky; 01-23-2014 at 07:12 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 01-23-2014, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the critique Bandit, I really appreciate the feedback. I might post up the photos on the link you provided towards the end of the week. Coincidentally, I just received a 72' Nova in here today borrowed from another member on this site and have loaded an LS and 4L65 into it using all the Hooker components so I can prototype a Nova specific exhaust system that we will be offering in a couple of months to go along with the mounting components and headers...if there is anything you would like me to measure or take pictures of while it's here, I would be glad to do that for you. I will posting photos of the components on this car as I work on it to allow others to chime in and ask ask similar questions. I don't know if you caught the fact that I just received the car today and already have the engine and trans mounted in it, which should be an indicator as to how easy these components make this swap. Here's were I'm leaving off on the project tonight after working on it no more than a couple of hours.

Thanks again,

Todd

Todd,

This looks like you may be loading a truck engine in this one based off of the coil packs? Is there any chance you could put a truck intake on there and tell me if it will clear the stock hood? I'm still waiting on my oil pan to ship before I can get my 72 test fitted and am trying to plan for my accessories/intake while I'm waiting.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

Just for info: I received my mounts about a week after Sebtarta got his and had none of the packing problems he referred to. Guess they got the shipping dept under control
Old 01-23-2014, 02:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jblakeslee
Just for info: I received my mounts about a week after Sebtarta got his and had none of the packing problems he referred to. Guess they got the shipping dept under control

I got my headers, and no issues there either! So i think it was a freak time at Holley, you know between xmas and new years I bet there were lots of parties.

OR, the shipping department had a fit as he/she was about to clock out and got this order in, which he/she was told to make sure it shipped. He/She was "eff this here your bolts here is your stuff".......*punchout* goes home. HAHAHA

Last edited by Sebtarta; 01-23-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sixgunsuperman99
Todd,

This looks like you may be loading a truck engine in this one based off of the coil packs? Is there any chance you could put a truck intake on there and tell me if it will clear the stock hood? I'm still waiting on my oil pan to ship before I can get my 72 test fitted and am trying to plan for my accessories/intake while I'm waiting.
I've got a truck intake on the bench at work and should be able to accommodate your request tomorrow.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:04 PM
Teching In

Todd,

I'm running DSE's Speed Kit 3 on my 67 Camaro. Any worries about clearance and that steering box? Also, it sounds like this kit is literally everything I would need to get my LS6 + T56 in the car?

Thanks!
Dan
Old 01-24-2014, 06:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 67ssdan
Todd,

I'm running DSE's Speed Kit 3 on my 67 Camaro. Any worries about clearance and that steering box? Also, it sounds like this kit is literally everything I would need to get my LS6 + T56 in the car?

Thanks!
Dan
To be honest Dan, I don't know anything about that DSE kit but I'll take a look at in online over the weekend and see what I can determine about its fitment geometry.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:57 AM
Teching In

To be honest Dan, I don't know anything about that DSE kit but I'll take a look at in online over the weekend and see what I can determine about its fitment geometry.
Okay cool. The only thing I can think that might interfere would be the steering box. It's their 600 steering box. I'm not sure if it is any bigger than the stock one or not, or if it would be big enough to mess with the headers.

Thanks man!
Dan
Old 01-24-2014, 08:09 AM
Launching!

Dan i think it is the same size as the stock just with better internals.

I have the AGR box on my car, I am hoping to test fit the engine with the headers this weekend, but I have a software conversion going on at work so pretty sure I will be tied up with that. Plus my daughters bday party on Saturday. So, yeah, maybe next week I will test fit the engine.

Quick Reply: New Hooker 1st-gen/Nova swap parts info