Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e mod to cable speedo

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 09:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4l60e mod to cable speedo

Ok I think Ive waited about as long as I am going to for someone to do a drive motor from the vss signal.What ever happened to the one zipster was developing?Who has the most cost effective tailshaft conversion?Shiftworks conversion is $500,shurely someone has it cheaper than that.Anyone heard about any new options to run original type speedo with 4l60e?
Old 04-06-2014, 08:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Sadly I think Zippster's idea died a long time ago.

Dakota Digital recently released three versions of the ECD-100 that converts the VSS pulses to a mechanical cable drive. The different versions compare to how the cable attaches to the speedometer itself (two clip on and one threaded cable design). A friend and I each have summer projects that will need one but we're not close enough to completion on either to buy or be able to test this. I created a thread months ago asking and only got one reply, however they had just been released at the time.

Unlike the other brand that has been discussed on the board in the past, Dakota Digital is a well known company with quality products that I actually own.

Summit sells them for $300.

Last edited by gofastwclass; 04-06-2014 at 08:51 AM. Reason: ...added links and picture.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Unlike the other brand that has been discussed on the board in the past, Dakota Digital is a well known company with quality products that I actually own.

I wonder if anyone on here has tried the Dakota Digital box...I don't know what brand your talking about...But I've tried a couple of the Cable X boxes and have not had the best luck with them...
Old 04-06-2014, 11:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cable x takes some time to get right but worked pretty good for me the few cars ive used it in
Old 04-06-2014, 04:46 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the info on the ecd-100,I did not know about it.I think I will try one,I do not like the cable x.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TCI also has one out. Runs $439 through Summitracing + another $50 for the cable.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4malibu
cable x takes some time to get right but worked pretty good for me the few cars ive used it in
Same for me on the time it took to get right, but working good now. Very fiddly to make changes necessary to get right.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:10 PM
Teching In

This set-up will drive the speedometer mechanically, with no magic boxes.

Not cheap, but very reliable, and uses GM gears.
This is for the 6-bolt tail-housing used on the 1998 and newer 4L60-E's. It adapts the older style 4-bolt tail-housing from a Caprice.

See this link for the parts. http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Par...-adapter.html:
Old 04-06-2014, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CattleAc
I wonder if anyone on here has tried the Dakota Digital box...I don't know what brand your talking about...But I've tried a couple of the Cable X boxes and have not had the best luck with them...
Cable X is the brand I was trying to remember the name of. I've never used either device, but I've not been impressed by the results cited by Cable X users on this and other boards.

I agree MikeJTR, the transmission tailshaft mod has been around and is proven. However not everyone wants to, is willing or can change tail housings without some sort of disaster. Another issue is the transmission mount, that appears to be required to slide to the rear of the vehicle which requires fabrication that some aren't able to do. Next is the list of parts required (according to your site) to be sourced separately to get the conversion working. In my humble opinion adding an electronic speedometer drive under the dash to a classic vehicle would be a comparative snap and a one-time simple expense. Especially if you want that OEM style "the factory built this one that way" look.

I'm not knocking your piece, it looks pretty impressive and I'm sure it performs well, but a billet hexagon on my tailshaft isn't going to look proper under my classic vehicle and it only works on a 4L6xE and 4L70E. The Dakota Digital box I listed (and the TCI variant usc2001gc) shared will work with any electronic transmission / PCM combination.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
I agree MikeJTR, the transmission tailshaft mod has been around and is proven. However not everyone wants to, is willing or can change tail housings without some sort of disaster. Another issue is the transmission mount, that appears to be required to slide to the rear of the vehicle which requires fabrication that some aren't able to do. Next is the list of parts required (according to your site) to be sourced separately to get the conversion working...

I'm not knocking your piece, it looks pretty impressive and I'm sure it performs well, but a billet hexagon on my tailshaft isn't going to look proper under my classic vehicle and it only works on a 4L6xE and 4L70E. The Dakota Digital box I listed (and the TCI variant usc2001gc) shared will work with any electronic transmission / PCM combination.
The adapter was made primarily for people requiring a vss in 4x4 applications, when they used their original transfer case, which used a speedometer cable.

You are correct, in that it normally requires other work to install into a 2wd car application, but if the car originally came with a Turbo-400, or a 200-4R, then the Caprice tail-housing has the same mounting position, and requires no mods. We have had no complaints about fitment or installation.

The hexagon shape matches the rear of the newer 4L60-E transmissions, so it does not look as bulky, when installed on the transmission.

We make the part in-house, and can machine the part differently, to make the rear round, instead of hexagon, but with 4x4 applications, the thick adapter allows people to shifter and/or mounts to the adapter.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MikeJTR
The adapter was made primarily for people requiring a vss in 4x4 applications, when they used their original transfer case, which used a speedometer cable.

You are correct, in that it normally requires other work to install into a 2wd car application, but if the car originally came with a Turbo-400, or a 200-4R, then the Caprice tail-housing has the same mounting position, and requires no mods. We have had no complaints about fitment or installation.
I see. Having those two tidbits of knowledge makes a lot more sense when looking at your products design.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MikeJTR
This set-up will drive the speedometer mechanically, with no magic boxes.

Not cheap, but very reliable, and uses GM gears.
This is for the 6-bolt tail-housing used on the 1998 and newer 4L60-E's. It adapts the older style 4-bolt tail-housing from a Caprice.

See this link for the parts. http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Par...-adapter.html:
Looks like a nice piece Mike,educate me though.Does anyone modify a 4l60e tailshaft housing to use a mechanical speedo cable?Why couldn't you drill a hole in the appropriate place,add a bung for the cable and place the drive gears on the shaft.Mabye that's over simplified but you get the idea.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:42 PM
Teching In

Default Do it yourself Cheaper

I expect to pay something for parts, but $550.00 or some kind of digital box seems extreme to me as the 700r4 and 4l60e are so similar. I found a site to put a LS engine in your Jag that gives the parts to do the swap from a 4l60e to a mechanical speedo, and you need not spend a fortune to do so. http://www.jagsthatrun.com/4L60_Order.html
Old 04-19-2014, 07:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LuvTruck
I expect to pay something for parts, but $550.00 or some kind of digital box seems extreme to me as the 700r4 and 4l60e are so similar. I found a site to put a LS engine in your Jag that gives the parts to do the swap from a 4l60e to a mechanical speedo, and you need not spend a fortune to do so. http://www.jagsthatrun.com/4L60_Order.html
They're similar, but you can't just bolt a 700r4 tailshaft onto a 4l60e. That's what the adapter a few posts up is for. And by the time you buy all the necessary parts, the cost still adds up.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1LuvTruck
...and the box is only $300 and currently qualifies for free shipping from Summit. Even with shipping it would be a far cry from the 550 you mentioned. For a "drop in barely get my hands dirty" solution, the Dakota Digital box works for me because time tracking down parts and moving mounts I already made (or have factory) is money.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Subscribed to hear feedback about the new Dakota box
Old 04-21-2014, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SUPERBOOST
Looks like a nice piece Mike,educate me though.Does anyone modify a 4l60e tailshaft housing to use a mechanical speedo cable?Why couldn't you drill a hole in the appropriate place,add a bung for the cable and place the drive gears on the shaft.Mabye that's over simplified but you get the idea.
Even if you could accurately drill a hole in the appropriate place, and add a bung for the cable, you still have to run a 40-tooth reluctor ring for the PCM.

Welding a bung on the tail-housing can be done, but the welds are usually porous due to the material used on the tail-housing, so it has to be sealed with some sort of material, which sometimes comes off.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:17 PM
TECH Regular

We have not given up. Just had a lot of family issues with my dad. I talked to my brother in law and will be starting this back up. We have the final prototype board, got some brackets made up. Found a new motor, and will be looking to get this going again. Its close guys, but please if you are waiting for this to complete your project, please dont hold it up waiting for this to be completed. We just want a perfect product that is simple and durable. More to come.....
Old 04-21-2014, 07:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by zipster
We have not given up. Just had a lot of family issues with my dad. I talked to my brother in law and will be starting this back up. We have the final prototype board, got some brackets made up. Found a new motor, and will be looking to get this going again. Its close guys, but please if you are waiting for this to complete your project, please dont hold it up waiting for this to be completed. We just want a perfect product that is simple and durable. More to come.....
Hey Zipster, did you mean to reply to this thread or the other one where you posted your prototype? This thread is on tailshaft adapters and is fairly new.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:41 AM
TECH Regular

Sorry about that. I just wanted to respond to gofastwclass, that we are still working on this. I did not mean to hijack this thread. I just wanted to respond. The tailshaft mod could be another good option.

Quick Reply: 4l60e mod to cable speedo