Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS engine specs in CAD

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 12:12 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS engine specs in CAD

This may be in the wrong place to post this.

I use to play around with auto cad and wanted to start designing some brackets to move alt and ps brackets on a ls3 I put into a 59 vette. similar to dirty dingo brackets, anyways I recently downloaded inventor fusion and want to know is there a water jet out there that can cut the plates I design or do I need to stick to autodesk on my PC

and if there is what file type do I need my work saved as?

and does anyone know where I can find dimensions on LS engines?
Old 05-09-2014, 07:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...m-headers.html

Read post #12. The LS3 which I reference I now believe is actually an LS7. However, comparing the models I built of my LS1 to the LS7, the mounting points are all the same.

Search Grabcad also, there are several LS based models, but you will need to verify the accuracy of each. Building your own models with some accurate measurements is also possible, I've done that on several LS1 components.

Make sure you get your crank pulley offset correct before doing the bracket design work.

Waterjets and lasers are typically just X-Y machines, the programmer will be able to work with a 2D DXF file output at 1:1 scale.

For 3D, the standard formats are typically IGES and STEP. I normally use STEP because it ends up translating better between the systems I have (SolidWorks and Pro/E).

Where did you get the Inventor Fusion download from? Is it the free trial from last year? I have wanted to try it out and see what it is like just to compare to the two systems I've got, but I don't really plan to buy it, 80% of my business is SolidWorks, 15% is Pro/E and the rest is Microsoft Excel.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:11 AM
Launching!

my autodesk is full paid registered version abad inventor I downloaded on my MAC. I wanted to use inventor as my PC is old slow hardly ever used except for the drawings.

I will take a look I greatly appreciate it
Old 05-11-2014, 01:21 AM
Launching!

I am breaking down and just drawing up my plans using AutoDesk inventor. Anyone have a link to 2d specs with dimensions to a lsx motor? Ill post the brackets I end up making and if someone donates a 3d model cad drawing ill mail them a bracket kit of the alt/PS brackets I make for free. But I think it's a long shot for those files
Old 05-11-2014, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Grabcad has a mostly complete LS7 3d model a already. All you need is to sign up for an account and go the link in my other thread.

From all the measurements I took the gen4 LS7 has all the same mounting locations as my gen3 LS1.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:17 PM
Launching!

I opened that file in inventor fusion. I'm still learning the user face so I can grab a front view and get dimensions. I just want to verify all bolt hole locations I have my 5.3 on the engine stand now. I want to turn off the layers leaving heads block water pump and go from there. Inventor has a cool feature where you can test your part with working grab hinges? I don't remember the term off the top of my head but would allow me to test belt tension with moving pulleys around.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know nothing about Inventor, I haven't use an Autodesk product since 1993 when I was in collage.

For the LS7 model, the motor mount bolt holes, trans bolt holes, oil pan holes, water pump holes, timing cover holes, starter holes, header flange holes, and accessory bracket mounting holes in the heads, are all accurate. I already verified them against an LS1. I did not check the holes other than those. I got within a few thousandths during my measurements and figured the error was my own.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm glad I found this thread. I am want to design a low mount a/c bracket, but I don't have access to a professional 3D software like Creo, formerly Pro-E, or Inventor Fusion. Can anyone point me in the direction of any freeware for 3D modeling to modify the files mention above.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:30 PM
Launching!

inventor fusion is free on my Mac, my autodesk I wasn't as lucky.

you are the man I thank you very much. what program was used to create the model?

Quick Reply: LS engine specs in CAD