Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeep CJ5 / Vortec Swap Wiring Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep CJ5 / Vortec Swap Wiring Questions...

Hey guys,
I was sent over to this forum from another forum because they thought you may be able to help me out a little more with a problem I am having. Long story short is that I am in the home stretch of a frame off restoriation on a 1980 Jeep CJ5. I have swapped in a 5.3L out of a Chevy Avalance. I have redone the harness per lt1swap and copied his fuse / relay panel. I am at the point now that I need to hook up the last few wires in the original Jeep harness to the new engine as well as connect the constant 12v positive wire to the battery or a constant 12v source as well as the keyed 12v connection. If any of you guys are familiar with the Jeep CJ's, can anyone shed some light on which wires on the engine side of the bulkhead connector I should hook them to, or should I run them into the cab and hook them up on that side? If so, what should I hook them to inside? I am second guessing myself on the electrical as you can tell.

With regard to the jeep wiring in the engine bay, I am looking at a wiring diagram I got off of fleabay and I have a few questions on what to hook up to where with regards to the starter, alternator and battery. This has got me totally confused and if anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. Below is a picture of the wires I am dealing with as well as the starter solenoid.

1. I have a red wire with a white tracer that went to the origianl starter solenoid as best I can tell from the original wiring diagram. It is the heavy guage wire (maybe 8 ga.) with blue tape on it to the left side of the bundle in the picture. The new starter solenoid has only 3 points to connect to where the original had more. Should this connect to the solenoid in the same location as the alternator wire hooks to or somewhere else? It seems to me that the original solenoid had a connection on it that this went to that the new one doesn't.

2. The blue wire to the left of the bundle should connect to the small terminal on the starter solenoid. Is this correct?

3. There is a red wire that has a fusible link that runs to the bulkhead connector. It is located to the left side down by the fender in the picture. It has a jumper that went to the original alternator. I am guessing that I need to remove the jumper or wire in another fusible link without the jumper and connect this to the solenoid where the battery hooks up. Would this be correct?

4. The brown or tan wire goes to the heater motor. I have figured this one out.

5. The red wire with the fusible link that ran between the original alternator and the solenoid should be replaced with a bigger wire that is compatible with the new GM alternator (DR44 is the marking on the alternator) I am guessing. It looks as though the original wire on the alternator that was cut when the motor was removed from the donor vehicle looks to be around 4 or 6 gauge. Should I run one of those size wires with a fusible link from the stud on the alternator to the large stud on the solenoid where the battery hooks up?

6. Best I can tell, the rest of the wires that were attached to the original alternator as well as the original solenoid can be removed since I am not using any of the original stuff with the new motor. Is that correct?

I am getting so close to wrapping up the wiring in the engine bay that I can taste it. Once that is done, I have a little more body work and paint and then I should be close to putting everything back together. I hope you guys don't mind me asking stupid questions, but I knew the electric was going to get the best of me. I appreciate you guys helping the FNG.

Thanks again,
Brad
Old 06-11-2014, 10:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone??? Bueller, Bueller???

Quick Reply: Jeep CJ5 / Vortec Swap Wiring Questions...