Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ecu waterproofing

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ecu waterproofing

Hi Everyone,

I am currently putting an LS1 into a Toyota Surf (4runner). I have the engine and trans etc in and am now working on the wiring. i have had it running so now i am working on where to mount the ecu. The is no way i am going to be fitting it behind the dash because of the size of it so was hoping to put it in the engine bay. I have been told by some people that it is water resistant and some who say its pretty water proof. I am not really wanting to test it so was considering putting it into a plastic container. However it doesn't take a genius to see that the ecu is contained inside a aluminium case with cooling fins on it. How much heat do they produce and will they survive inside the engine bay inside a sealed container?

Thanks
Sam
Old 07-09-2014, 01:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Are you planning on driving it under water? The factory mounts them in the engine bay not behind the dash, so unless you are going to be submerging it, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I would think mounting it in a container would possibly let water in and never back out since it would be hard to seal around the wiring.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:01 AM

Thanks for that. I don't intend on driving it under water its more of a just in case thing. I was going to use grommets with silicone to try and seal it. Do you know how water resistant they are?
Old 07-09-2014, 02:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They are very water resistant. In the stock location on my 01 TA, the computer connectors are facing up, and the "eaves trough" at the base of the windsheild drains rainwater right into those connectors.

I wouldn't put it in a box.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

If youve ever taken the top off of one you'll see that they're sealed with rubber gaskets, similar to what the whole engine is sealed with. The PCM connectors also have gaskets on them, so I would say pretty water tight.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:45 AM
12 Second Club

The only issue I see .. Is if you pulled unused wires from the connector and didn't seal the hole left by the wires.

Quick Reply: Ecu waterproofing