Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1967 Cougar build (over 500 pictures and videos)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 05:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
Who’s a good boy?
(tail looking like B-17 prop...)
Old 01-19-2018, 05:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 463 Likes on 349 Posts

I enjoyed the toothbrush hack.....

BTW - 70 Eliminator restored - yellow, Boss 302/4 speed car - just sold for $100k out in Scottsdale at BJ....
Old 01-19-2018, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 167 Likes on 97 Posts

In........
Old 01-25-2018, 11:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

I enjoyed the toothbrush hack.....

BTW - 70 Eliminator restored - yellow, Boss 302/4 speed car - just sold for $100k out in Scottsdale at BJ....
The toothbrush hack was made popular on Amazon. I wrote a review of the toothbrush and it got a lot of attention and many people had similar issues. So I made the video.

I should probably focus my content more, but then again I am not trying to be a "lifestyle" blogger. I do little project and hope people find them useful.

One of these days I will be doing a major upgrade on my GTO and I plan to really document that fully.

If 10% of the people that have viewed this thread subscribed, I would be set!

Andrew
Old 01-25-2018, 02:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Finally made the time to peruse your GTO thread --- what a journey Andrew!
Old 01-25-2018, 09:37 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO

One of these days I will be doing a major upgrade on my GTO and I plan to really document that fully.
Andrew

Ken
Old 03-16-2018, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

I can't believe that it is the middle of March already. The weather here has been funky, with a combination of really warm days and then followed by cold days and even frosty nights. Regardless, not much to report on the Cougar, but a small update none the less. Nothing like driving a hotrod on a relatively regular basis.

After coming home from LSFest last September, I noticed that my driver's side rear tire was showing chords. I guess that solves the mystery of why I couldn't hook up! Overall I am very pleased with how long the tires lasted and how they drive on the street. They may not be the most optimal for drag racing, but let's get real here, this car lives 362 days of the year on the street.

I wanted to get through the winter without having to buy new tires. This wasn't a big deal because I really don't drive the car if it is raining. But finally it was time to get new tires. I ordered up two new Mickey Thompson drag radials. It looks like Mickey Thompson made some changes to their tire line-up. The drag radial with treads is now called ET Street SS and actually has a pretty decent looking tread patter that is probably way better in the rain than the old drag radial design. I ordered the same size, 255/60-15.

There was some drama involved with finding a local tire place that would actually promise to be careful with the wheels and not damage them. The first place (a national chain) just refused to do the work. The next place was great and clearly understood that damaging wheels is not acceptable.

I am digging the new tread design:

Thanks for reading my relatively boring update.

I am still looking for subscribers to my YouTube channel, and would appreciate it very much if more of you would subscribe.

I am also looking for some input. I am getting a little bored with the overall look and I was thinking of changing things up a little. I want to ditch the intake and install an Eliminator style scoop to cover the hole in the hood. I am also thinking about lowering the front a little and giving it more of a rake.

As always, any and all input is welcome and appreciated.

Andrew
Old 03-16-2018, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Two thumbs way up on Eliminator style scoop and ditching stuff sticking through the hood.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Two thumbs way up on Eliminator style scoop and ditching stuff sticking through the hood.
I am mostly considering the 35-40lb/ft of torque that I will pick up by going to a LS2 intake.

The scoop that I have came with that car. I have to dig it out and see how it might look. Not really sure how I would go about attaching it to the hood. The scoop is fiberglass. It looks similar to this, but not 100% identical.

Andrew
Old 03-17-2018, 03:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Given the patina on the rest of the car - figuring out attachment shouldn’t be tough.... 😂
Old 03-17-2018, 02:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Let me know how you like the MT ET Streets. I got them for mine and I cannot keep them balanced. Now that I have them I hear that they flat spot easily so now I keep the car on a jack to keep the load off the tires. I also found that they are actually slipping on the rim which is why I can't keep them balanced. I put a paint mark on the inside, made 1 dragstrip pass and the tires moved about 2-3 inches on the rim.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Given the patina on the rest of the car - figuring out attachment shouldn’t be tough.... 😂
Is that a nice way of saying that it looks like crap already, so who cares?

Originally Posted by Aston Tibs
Let me know how you like the MT ET Streets. I got them for mine and I cannot keep them balanced. Now that I have them I hear that they flat spot easily so now I keep the car on a jack to keep the load off the tires. I also found that they are actually slipping on the rim which is why I can't keep them balanced. I put a paint mark on the inside, made 1 dragstrip pass and the tires moved about 2-3 inches on the rim.
This is the second set of the MT drag radials that are on the car. I am pretty sure that the tires will move on the wheel at the drag strip. That's pretty normal.

I had the car at the drag strip numerous times with the old tires, and I really didn't notice any vibration after the drag strip. As far as flat spots, the car gets driven pretty regularly, so that has not been an issue.

Andrew
Old 03-17-2018, 06:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for “joker” laugh andrew! In hospital - bile duct blockage surgically removed yesterday; gall bladder out 6 hours ago. Trying to make it without post surgical drugs (opiod side effects undesirable) - so don’t make me laugh too hard....it hurts more! Your Cougar patina is not for me (don’t sound right) - but don’t think for a sec that I don’t appreciate what you’ve done to build one that’s right for you...that’s what it’s all about!
Old 03-17-2018, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

That's same tire I use on mine with great success..... Mine haven't moved on the wheel, then again I have bead locks just for that reason.....
Old 03-18-2018, 05:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The hood is already cut so why not cut it more. Plumb one into each throttle body and add fuel.

Old 03-18-2018, 05:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by alocker
The hood is already cut so why not cut it more. Plumb one into each throttle body and add fuel.

Alex,

Don't encourage me!!! LOL

Andrew
Old 03-19-2018, 08:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Andy to Red in "Shawshank Redemption" - 'You've come this far....perhaps you're willing to come a bit further..."
Old 03-19-2018, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Alex,

Don't encourage me!!! LOL

Andrew
I got something you can put in there that will fit under the hood....it will make that much smoke or more.... LOL

T,
Old 03-28-2018, 06:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TomM
I got something you can put in there that will fit under the hood....it will make that much smoke or more.... LOL

T,
Tom,

What do you have?

Andrew
Old 03-28-2018, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

I am looking for some advice on what to do with the paint. Being that the car lives outside and the sun is pretty brutal in Alabama, the roof and other top surfaces are taking quite a beating.

I have read that various "rat rodders" use a product called Penetrol to seal old paint and keep the bare metal spots from rusting. I searched around but was unable to find detailed information or really any sort of "before" and "after" pictures.

I was thinking of basically taking a ScotchBrite pad to the whole car to knock off the flakes and rough spots, then coating the whole car with Penetrol. I like how the ICON "Derelict" cars look, but I am sure they use a different process.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Andrew

Quick Reply: 1967 Cougar build (over 500 pictures and videos)