Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1967 Cougar build (over 500 pictures and videos)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 891 Posts

The Wiki page is good too:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twisted_pair

Another thing that I noticed is that even on the connector side, the two CAN wires are always on the pins that are stacked on top of each other. You will also note the same configuration on the double row OBD2 connectors, where the two CAN wires terminate on the same pin column, one on top of the other, so they never cross any of the other wires.

Andrew
Old 12-05-2018, 12:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Yep. Same twisting going on for Ethernet cables for the same reason.

Nice progress Andrew.

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Thanks Michael! Learn more every day! Even around here if you don't watch out! LOL
Now that's funny, I don't care who you are!
Old 12-09-2018, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just a tiny little update. The weather has been cold and rainy, so no work is being done, but I did receive some parts. I like doing a proper wiring job and that means not doing any butt connections with the wires if it can possibly be avoided. This means spending some time looking at catalogs and data sheets for the right terminals.

With the Yaris (and Prius) steering ECUs the wiring that needs to happen is on the D31 connector. This is where the +12v power pin is located, along with the speed signal, CANHi and CANLo, etc....I have a D31 connector that I clipped from the donor car so what I needed were the actual terminals to avoid butt splicing wires and to add pins as needed. I was also looking to find the connector itself, but had no luck, but the Toyota dealership has them for $6. However, the dealership does not have and can't even look up the terminals. As far as I could tell the connector is made by TE Connectivity and the stock terminals had Tyco stamped on it. A little time spent in the TE Connectivity catalog resulted in a reward.

I know this may seem like overkill for most people, but if I am going to all this trouble, I might as well take it 100% of the way.

Once I get a dry sunny day, I can wire up the rest of the wires for the OBD2 connector and see if I can read fault code using the Blue Driver OBD2 dongle and android app.

Andrew
Old 12-12-2018, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Made a video showing the process of installing roller pedal pivot bearings.

Please Like and Subscribe. I am still trying to get to 1000 subscribers.

Andrew
Old 12-13-2018, 02:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Well, sorry I have not kept up with this thread, really love the EPAS and am planning it for my next project.
My thoughts on the level of power assist are a bit simpler. I was going to buy the $60 kit on ebay controlled by a potentiometer. But was going to add a relay and resistor to have automatic higher assist in first gear controlled by the 1st gear shift solenoid signal.
Your thoughts?
Old 12-13-2018, 06:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 463 Likes on 349 Posts

If that results in an abrupt change in level of assist every time the car shifts into or out of 1st gear, as opposed to “ramping” that level change up/down - I suspect that may introduce feel/feedback into rhe system that will be objectionable at best; unsafe at worst. Just a guess though
Old 12-13-2018, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by garys 68
Well, sorry I have not kept up with this thread, really love the EPAS and am planning it for my next project.
My thoughts on the level of power assist are a bit simpler. I was going to buy the $60 kit on ebay controlled by a potentiometer. But was going to add a relay and resistor to have automatic higher assist in first gear controlled by the 1st gear shift solenoid signal.
Your thoughts?
I assume you are going to use the Saturn Vue motor...Those seem to be the most popular and have the "****" available on eBay. I guess the problem I see is that when coming to a stop the transmission would tend to stay in, let's say 3rd, and won't shift down into 1st until you were going really slow. I see plenty of instances where you might be going slow (maybe 30mph) and already be in 3rd gear, which would put you into minimum assist, but ideally, at 30mph, you would want full assist. Otherwise, it should work.

Andrew
Old 12-13-2018, 07:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Based on muscling my old 55 Cheby around back in the day, I’d hazard a guess that the speed at which you could shift from max assist to min assist would be way below 30 mph.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
Based on muscling my old 55 Cheby around back in the day, I’d hazard a guess that the speed at which you could shift from max assist to min assist would be way below 30 mph.
I like full assist up to 35 MPH. That's how mine is configured now.

Andrew
Old 12-13-2018, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

My 61 Impala with 9" wide tires on the front is... to be polite - not fun to drive without power steering at pretty much any speed below 30 or so. I'm not saying it isn't driveable but it takes planning and work to go around a right hand turn on a two lane road with a car on both sides. My 62 Impala (same chassis) with power steering and the same size, offset and style wheels is actually fun even in a parking lot.

Gary, I agree with Andrew on the speed vs. gear thing. I'm not sure if you have data logging software available to you but Andrew is right. When reviewing logs the downshift for most automatic transmissions happens later than one would assume - at least for the GM stuff I've looked at. By the time the transmission downshifts to first you are almost stopped. Anything sooner than 5 to 10 MPH or so under light throttle feels harsh.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,037 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Most old-school 3-speed autos don't shift down outta 3rd until almost stopped, much less 2nd to first. The newer trannies are much different.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:31 AM
TECH Junkie

For this project, I only need high assist parking and the 2nd + assist is variable. I think it's worth a shot.
But my next issue is with steering boxes. With a 20:1 ratio manual boxes, it will still be really slow. Any manual boxes in lower ratios? Adding electric to still have a 20:1 ratio is less than ideal. Not interested in a rack conversion either.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:28 AM
TECH Addict

I do think electric power steering is a very interesting concept however the ratio problem you just mentioned was the one thing that kept me from pursuing this option in the past. Beyond the factory manual box being sloppier than a soup sandwich which I fixed, the stock ratio for my car is terrible. If I make the rear of the car step to the side it takes all day to get enough wheel under it to bring the thing back. I feel like one of those cartoon pirate movies where the captain is in a heavy storm and he is spinning the ships wheel left to right like a gambler playing roulette.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by garys 68
For this project, I only need high assist parking and the 2nd + assist is variable. I think it's worth a shot.
But my next issue is with steering boxes. With a 20:1 ratio manual boxes, it will still be really slow. Any manual boxes in lower ratios? Adding electric to still have a 20:1 ratio is less than ideal. Not interested in a rack conversion either.
Wasn't there a 16:1 manual box option? Maybe that was for something else...

Honestly, you might be very happy with the "****." Pick a level that you like for driving around town and then turn it down once you are cruising on the highway. I rarely go over 45 around town and the high level of assist works just fine. Also keep in mind that I have a really fast manual rack in the Cougar. I think it is something like 12:1.

Andrew
Old 12-14-2018, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
I do think electric power steering is a very interesting concept however the ratio problem you just mentioned was the one thing that kept me from pursuing this option in the past. Beyond the factory manual box being sloppier than a soup sandwich which I fixed, the stock ratio for my car is terrible. If I make the rear of the car step to the side it takes all day to get enough wheel under it to bring the thing back. I feel like one of those cartoon pirate movies where the captain is in a heavy storm and he is spinning the ships wheel left to right like a gambler playing roulette.
Just did a quick search and there might be some options:
https://www.buyautoparts.com/buynow/...Q?xref=2502319

Don't know anything about that company, so this is not an endorsement.

Andrew
Old 12-14-2018, 03:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks, it's actually got to go on an S10 frame, but thinking they look pretty similar.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:54 AM
TECH Addict

Interesting... too bad they don't have one that fits my cars.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Interesting... too bad they don't have one that fits my cars.
I am not familiar with the older cars, but maybe someone makes something similar? I think anything between 16-18:1 would probably work pretty well.

Andrew
Old 12-23-2018, 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hard to believe that the Cougar has been on the road for over 3 years. In that time I have gotten pretty good at driving the dog-ring T56. I made a video just driving around and showing some up and down shifting.

If you find this content useful or entertaining, please consider subscribing to my channel.

The EPAS refinement project will continue shortly.

Andrew
Old 12-23-2018, 04:24 PM
TECH Junkie

LOVE that vid Andrew! That little "wiggle" when releasing the e-brake brought back tons of memories of my first car -- '55 Chev shoebox. I know the box is dog ring - helical or straight cut gears? Reminds me of what it looks like when I shift my DD/newer car without using the clutch at all -- just gentle/slow pressure on the shifter and it slips easily/quietly into the next higher gear. Similar on downshifts except a bit of heel/toe (really one side of the foot/the other side of the foot) needed to rev match on the downshift. Use the engine to get the gear speed higher than it needs to be then gentle pressure and as soon as the revs match - presto, it drops into gear.

Last edited by Michael Yount; 12-23-2018 at 04:29 PM.

Quick Reply: 1967 Cougar build (over 500 pictures and videos)