Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning budge K5 5.3 swap, looking for advice!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning budge K5 5.3 swap, looking for advice!

Hey guys!

Lets get down to it. I have a 1979 K5 that's been sitting in my backyard waiting for a 350 rebuild. Recently, my daily driver broke down and I've been driving my Duramax around. My Duramax is strictly a tow/camping rig, so shes seen better days. The more I drive her, the more money I have to put into her! My daily driver has been sold off, and my Duramax just hit 150k miles, something I was proud to have not done. My cousin recently totaled his 2003 Silverado and he offered me a deal so I took it. 2003 5.3/4L60e 4x4 (he sold off the transfer case before he offered me the engine and trans). I'm planning a budget swap into my K5. I ordered a new baffled fuel tank, so the K5 had a full tank of gas from 2004, and I'm picking up the Dirty Dingo mounts from a friend. I've been doing some searching but have yet to find definite answers to a few questions, maybe someone can help?

My k5 is stock height on 245's. I planned on lifting her eventually, but for now I'm looking to get her on the road as a daily driver first. I plan on making this a smog-legal build (comifornia) so I know I need the cats/crossover pipe.

I need to know what exhaust manifolds I need to run for this application and I'm trying to find out if the pipe from the silverado will fit without getting in the way of my front driveshaft. I plan on a 4 inch lift, so if it will interfere with the shaft without a lift but it wont with a lift I can run it out without the front shaft and won't worry about that til I'm ready to lift it. I have a friend at an exhaust shop so I can chop the cats and have him fab me a new crossover pipe if I have to, but I would prefer not to. Does anyone have any insight to this?

I'm also looking for a way to utilize my stock 1979 NP203 transfer case to my 2003 4x4 4L60e, but I've only been able to find adapters for the pre-'99 4L60e's. Can anyone point me in the right direction, or is it cheaper to pull it and get me an NP241C?

Since I have the 2003 5.3, that means I have the fuel rail with the return line, correct? What exactly would I need to do to keep this setup (I can upgrade to returnless with the return at the Corvette pressure regulator later).

Is there a particular radiator/hoses/trans cooler lines I need to run or do I need to have a shop make these for me?

I cant recall if the 5.3 I bought has a throttle cable or DBW, I'll have to go check later tonight. If its throttle cable, what is needed to hook this up to my throttle pedal? Cheap and easy is a must, hopefully all with original GM parts

Do you guys know what crossmembers I'll have to replace, if any, to make this swap work?

I plan on running A/C, but its not a requirement to make it a daily driver so I will worry about that later.

I'm looking to start ordering parts next paycheck, so anything helps guys. Thanks!
Old 11-10-2014, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=350986

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=358390
Old 11-11-2014, 12:33 AM

Do some searching and digging on the site those links above go to.

I'm thinkin possibly you may need some lower profile exhaust manifolds like trailblazer ss but not need a crossmember like the 67-72 4x4 do.

Maybe don't use the 4l60e and use your existing trans to save some time as far as adapting the trans case.

Also possibly a oil pan or suspension lift may not know till you get there

As for emissions you might want to talk with a smog ref ahead of time to verify exactly what hoops you have to Jump through

Good luck
Old 11-11-2014, 10:27 AM

Thanks a bunch! I'll read through them!

Originally Posted by Nitis
Do some searching and digging on the site those links above go to.

I'm thinkin possibly you may need some lower profile exhaust manifolds like trailblazer ss but not need a crossmember like the 67-72 4x4 do.

Maybe don't use the 4l60e and use your existing trans to save some time as far as adapting the trans case.

Also possibly a oil pan or suspension lift may not know till you get there

As for emissions you might want to talk with a smog ref ahead of time to verify exactly what hoops you have to Jump through

Good luck
Thanks for the replies guys. I actually spoke with a smog ref last year about swaps. As long as I retain all California-equipped smog equipment (hence the cats) I'm good to go I have to make it pass smog for the year of the power plant (2003). After I complete the swap I can get a moving permit, take her into to a smog ref and have them verify the Cats, EGR and PCV are all in tact and functional and they verify the numbers on the block. Whenever I take it to a smog check station supposedly the DMV computers will notify the tech of the swap. He plugs into the OBDII port and checks codes, sniffer test and I'm good to go.

I was reading up about the trailblazer SS manifolds, but they only make one side now (yes, GM only manufactures the left or the right, I can't recall which one it is off the top of my head). I'd have to find a used set. Though, I don't imagine it will be that hard, I see a lot of people with the TBSS upgrading to some sort of header, so I'll do some Googling about that and go from there.

I had read somewhere about the truck oil pan being fine if I have the engine slid back far enough, and with the DD mounts hopefully that ill be the case, but I'll do some searching on that as well.

I have considered just leaving my TH350 for now, though I would definitely prefer not to, I need to maintain some decent MPG so I was hoping for OD, but maybe just to get her going...

Thanks for the comments, I really do appreciate it!
Old 11-11-2014, 11:25 AM

I'm planning a swap in my 72 k10 so no smog for me

However I do have to change my front crossmember and install a 2" lift. Which I'm fine with the lift the original springs are tired and uneven.

I'm keeping my th350 mainly because it's brand new but this truck isn't likely to see freeway much if ever and it will make things like speedo easy.

I'm thinking I saw somewhere also that the H3 exhaust manifolds were the same as the tbss if that helps your hunt for possible used ones if you need them.

Good luck and keep us posted with progress
Old 11-11-2014, 12:34 PM

I'm planning a swap in my 72 k10 so no smog for me

However I do have to change my front crossmember and install a 2" lift. Which I'm fine with the lift the original springs are tired and uneven.

I'm keeping my th350 mainly because it's brand new but this truck isn't likely to see freeway much if ever and it will make things like speedo easy.

I'm thinking I saw somewhere also that the H3 exhaust manifolds were the same as the tbss if that helps your hunt for possible used ones if you need them.

Good luck and keep us posted with progress
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...350-5-3-a.html

This has a lot of info about mating the TH350 up to the 5.3/6.0, in case you hadn't seen it I did hear about the H3 Manifolds but not sure if they are in fact the same, but good info none the less and I'll be digging deeper as time goes on.

I'll definitely keep updates coming, but it will be slowgoing. I help out with my parents mortgage, have a truck payment and I'm paying off some old debts so that I'll be able to trade my Duramax in in 2016 Good luck with your build as well, I'd definitely be interested in seeing that! There's a 1970 Suburban at a friends yard I've been eyeballing...
Old 11-11-2014, 04:27 PM

I'll have to do some digging for the part numbers but a spacer and some new bolts are really all that's needed.

Depending on your torque converter it may bolt up or you may have to elongate the bolt holes on the flywheel.

Pretty common stuff
Old 11-11-2014, 06:53 PM

I'll have to do some digging for the part numbers but a spacer and some new bolts are really all that's needed.

Depending on your torque converter it may bolt up or you may have to elongate the bolt holes on the flywheel.

Pretty common stuff
In that link in my previous post the part numbers should be found there. Thanks for the reply!

Would anyone here know how to hook up the factory GM vacuum cruise control module to my DBC 5.3?
Old 11-11-2014, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 79K5Thumper
I'm also looking for a way to utilize my stock 1979 NP203 transfer case to my 2003 4x4 4L60e, but I've only been able to find adapters for the pre-'99 4L60e's. Can anyone point me in the right direction, or is it cheaper to pull it and get me an NP241C?
A friend has a 1985 K5 I helped with a 2007 5.3 swap using the factory transfer case and drive by wire.

We used a 1996 Caprice 4L60 transmission (one piece case, four bolt tail, round plug) case with 2007 internals (PWM front pump, 2007 internal electronics, etc.) so we could control it using the factory PCM. Since his truck was drive by wire, there was no way to use the factory 700R4 transmission with a kickdown.

The four bolt 4L60 case is externally close to the 700R4 case, but has the round harness plug which is necessary for the later electronics. You need the later electronics so the PCM can control all the functions of the transmission (gradual lockup, shifting, etc.).

Using this method works well, but leaves you without an electronic speed sensor. He kept the factory dash so I used a Dakota Digital SEN-01-4160 pass through to drive the PCM and mechanical speedometer simultaneously.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
A friend has a 1985 K5 I helped with a 2007 5.3 swap using the factory transfer case and drive by wire.

We used a 1996 Caprice 4L60 transmission (one piece case, four bolt tail, round plug) case with 2007 internals (PWM front pump, 2007 internal electronics, etc.) so we could control it using the factory PCM. Since his truck was drive by wire, there was no way to use the factory 700R4 transmission with a kickdown.

The four bolt 4L60 case is externally close to the 700R4 case, but has the round harness plug which is necessary for the later electronics. You need the later electronics so the PCM can control all the functions of the transmission (gradual lockup, shifting, etc.).

Using this method works well, but leaves you without an electronic speed sensor. He kept the factory dash so I used a Dakota Digital SEN-01-4160 pass through to drive the PCM and mechanical speedometer simultaneously.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the response, that is a great help. I think I'm going to start with reusing the TH350/NP203 combo thats in the truck already but I'm going to leave the trans wiring in tact so that I can upgrade later. I can get a decent 4L60e on discount, it pays to have Ultra4 friends sometimes

I'm still looking to find out about retaining my factory cruise control, can anyone enlighten me? This is a drive by cable set up.

Thanks guys!
Old 11-12-2014, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

Here's a pretty good write up on how to hook up the old cruise control with the newer DBC drive trains:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=511477

If I were you I'd swap the 4l60e while you're at it so you won't have to rework things later on. Plus you can probably pick up a used NP241C cheaper than the adapter and small parts required to mate your 5.3 to the TH350. If you get one from a 90-91 K5 or Suburban it'll even have the VSS for your 5.3's PCM. That's the route I'm going for my 5.3/4l80e swap in my '89 K5 anyways. If you go that route you'll have to get an electronic speedo though. I got my T-case ($160) and gauge cluster with electric speedo ($40) from the same '90 3/4 ton Suburban at a local pull apart.

For your exhaust manifolds, the TBSS manifolds work great in our trucks but they stopped making the driver's side. If you're lucky you can still find a set on ebay or go with H3 manifolds (almost identical) or just use some F body or LS3 manifolds that are also really tight hugging.

If your buddy still has the truck you got the engine and trans from be sure to grab the evap system and sending unit. You'll need them to pass the smog ref inspection. That's one thing that throws a wrench in to most people's swaps in California...

I'm up by Sacramento and have been researching and gathering parts for the better part of a year now and am still learning new stuff. If you have any questions post them up, there are a lot of knowledgeable members on here to learn from.

Good luck with your swap man and keep us posted
Old 11-12-2014, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by NorCalAnthony
Here's a pretty good write up on how to hook up the old cruise control with the newer DBC drive trains:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=511477

If I were you I'd swap the 4l60e while you're at it so you won't have to rework things later on. Plus you can probably pick up a used NP241C cheaper than the adapter and small parts required to mate your 5.3 to the TH350. If you get one from a 90-91 K5 or Suburban it'll even have the VSS for your 5.3's PCM. That's the route I'm going for my 5.3/4l80e swap in my '89 K5 anyways. If you go that route you'll have to get an electronic speedo though. I got my T-case ($160) and gauge cluster with electric speedo ($40) from the same '90 3/4 ton Suburban at a local pull apart.

For your exhaust manifolds, the TBSS manifolds work great in our trucks but they stopped making the driver's side. If you're lucky you can still find a set on ebay or go with H3 manifolds (almost identical) or just use some F body or LS3 manifolds that are also really tight hugging.

If your buddy still has the truck you got the engine and trans from be sure to grab the evap system and sending unit. You'll need them to pass the smog ref inspection. That's one thing that throws a wrench in to most people's swaps in California...

I'm up by Sacramento and have been researching and gathering parts for the better part of a year now and am still learning new stuff. If you have any questions post them up, there are a lot of knowledgeable members on here to learn from.

Good luck with your swap man and keep us posted
Thanks a whole lot for the link! It's much appreciated! So should I assume there isn't a way to keep the cruise control from the K5? It has cruise control and A/C, but manual windows and door locks (exactly what I wanted ).

I wasn't aware I needed the EVAP system from the 2003 truck, but I suppose I should have, huh? Would you happen to have a link that explains installing the 2003 EVAP into a a truck like my 79 K5? It does have an EVAP system from the factory. The truck is still complete, minus some body and interior parts and the rear axle. He said I can have whatever I need to make my swap work and he has someone lined up to buy the rest of the truck. I do want the 4L60e (I would ACTUALLY prefer an NV4500) but for easy and cheap install I was just going to retain my stock trans. With the DD mounts and a BFH to the firewall, I should be able to keep my trans in the stock location, or so I'm told. I just don't have the coin/time to put into custom shafts and mounts and lines and linkages and all this other junk. I do have to go to a few junkyards in the next few weeks (looking for a TH400/208 combo for my buddies '75) so maybe I'll look around for an 241C...

Thanks again for the response!
Old 11-13-2014, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Thanks a whole lot for the link! It's much appreciated! So should I assume there isn't a way to keep the cruise control from the K5? It has cruise control and A/C, but manual windows and door locks (exactly what I wanted ).

I wasn't aware I needed the EVAP system from the 2003 truck, but I suppose I should have, huh? Would you happen to have a link that explains installing the 2003 EVAP into a a truck like my 79 K5? It does have an EVAP system from the factory. The truck is still complete, minus some body and interior parts and the rear axle. He said I can have whatever I need to make my swap work and he has someone lined up to buy the rest of the truck. I do want the 4L60e (I would ACTUALLY prefer an NV4500) but for easy and cheap install I was just going to retain my stock trans. With the DD mounts and a BFH to the firewall, I should be able to keep my trans in the stock location, or so I'm told. I just don't have the coin/time to put into custom shafts and mounts and lines and linkages and all this other junk. I do have to go to a few junkyards in the next few weeks (looking for a TH400/208 combo for my buddies '75) so maybe I'll look around for an 241C...

Thanks again for the response!
It's been a while since I read the whole write up but I'm pretty sure it shows how to hook up a newer cruise module to the older K5's cruise control lever. My '89 K5 is almost identical to how they did it in that write up but I don't remember if the cruise control on the '70's trucks is the same or not so you may need to get a newer turn signal to use on your column with the cruise control module. One thing you will definitely need is a 4000 PPM signal from a VSS or VSS adapter like the ones from jagsthatrun or Dakota Digital. That's another reason I chose to use a NP241 with the VSS in my swap...

I think California is the only state that includes the evap system with their smog requirements and it always throws people off. My plan was to adapt the newer sending unit from my donor Yukon to the older K5 tank like this guy did: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=627161&page=9

Once I have the newer sending unit in place I'll have all of the outlets and connections I'll need for the different lines and evap stuff. The canister should be pretty much a direct swap for the one that's already in my K5 and then I'll just have to mount up the purge solenoid next to the tank and hook up all of the wires and hoses. At least that's the plan based on what I've seen from other people doing similar swaps in Cali... I have both vehicles sitting in my driveway but am waiting on a few more pieces and parts before I start my swap.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by NorCalAnthony
It's been a while since I read the whole write up but I'm pretty sure it shows how to hook up a newer cruise module to the older K5's cruise control lever. My '89 K5 is almost identical to how they did it in that write up but I don't remember if the cruise control on the '70's trucks is the same or not so you may need to get a newer turn signal to use on your column with the cruise control module. One thing you will definitely need is a 4000 PPM signal from a VSS or VSS adapter like the ones from jagsthatrun or Dakota Digital. That's another reason I chose to use a NP241 with the VSS in my swap...

I think California is the only state that includes the evap system with their smog requirements and it always throws people off. My plan was to adapt the newer sending unit from my donor Yukon to the older K5 tank like this guy did: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=627161&page=9

Once I have the newer sending unit in place I'll have all of the outlets and connections I'll need for the different lines and evap stuff. The canister should be pretty much a direct swap for the one that's already in my K5 and then I'll just have to mount up the purge solenoid next to the tank and hook up all of the wires and hoses. At least that's the plan based on what I've seen from other people doing similar swaps in Cali... I have both vehicles sitting in my driveway but am waiting on a few more pieces and parts before I start my swap.
Right now I'm trying to figure out the correct solution for my VSS, but its looking like Dakota Digital's pass-through adapter is my way to go. I fully intend to maintain my mechanical speedo, but I know I need the VSS to be smog legal as well. Is it verified that I need the 4000 adapter for my application?
Old 01-19-2015, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

Right now I'm trying to figure out the correct solution for my VSS, but its looking like Dakota Digital's pass-through adapter is my way to go. I fully intend to maintain my mechanical speedo, but I know I need the VSS to be smog legal as well. Is it verified that I need the 4000 adapter for my application?
This info is listed on the Novak-Adapt site with their inline VSS adapters:

"1993-present SFI and Gen III
This sensor will allow you to run a conventional cable drive speedometer and send critical speed data to your GM PCM for proper powertrain operation.
This is a cable-pass-through style speed sensor that can be attached to the Jeep Dana and mechanical New Process transfer case outputs. It generates a usable signal required by modified GM PCM computers from 1993+ trucks to present and 1994+ cars (Vette, Camaro, Caprice), equivalent to 8,000 pulses per mile.
No known aftermarket inline sensors exist to provide the 128,000 pulse per mile (PPM) signal required by these GM PCM's. However, these PCM's can be programmed by your tuner to scale this input signal for proper operation. If you are having your GM Gen. III+ computer programmed by Novak, let us know if you are using this sensor and we'll perform this change at no extra charge."

http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/e...cs/sensors.htm

Quick Reply: Planning budge K5 5.3 swap, looking for advice!