Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do i need a converter? 1958 GMC

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default do i need a converter? 1958 GMC

im not sure if this is the right section to post this but i had a cam installed on my 5.3 for my 58 gmc swap and im not sure if i need a converter with this size of cam
lift 513/556
dur @.50 229/240
int cl. 114.5

i bought this used cam off one of my buddies, he claims i wont need a converter but what do u guys think?

my truck will only have exhaust and cam nothing crazy

another question, qould it be bad if i ran the stock exhaust manifolds?

Last edited by 59 camaro; 03-17-2016 at 12:24 AM.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NEED a converter, nah not really. But you will definitely feel the benefits if you get one (not an ebay special either). I have a Vigilante from PI, and yes it's a lot of money, but MAN, what a difference it makes.

No harm running the stock manifolds, but again, you're missing out on easy power if you don't do long tubes.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by superdave84
NEED a converter, nah not really. But you will definitely feel the benefits if you get one (not an ebay special either). I have a Vigilante from PI, and yes it's a lot of money, but MAN, what a difference it makes.

No harm running the stock manifolds, but again, you're missing out on easy power if you don't do long tubes.
what size converter would u recommend i can run with this set up? its going to be more of a cruiser
Old 05-19-2015, 12:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 59 camaro
what size converter would u recommend i can run with this set up? its going to be more of a cruiser
I'd probably go with like 2500 stall. I have 2800 stall speed in mine (4,000 lbs car, 4L60e, basically a cruiser as well, but a slightly-modified LS2 instead of a 5.3)

The guys at PI (Precision Industries) are very helpful, and they actually give you a little interview over the phone before they even build a converter for you. If you want the best of the best, it's going to run you about $850. However, before you freak out, there are plenty of other options available from other companies. I would suggest calling them though, figuring out what they suggest for your specific vehicle, and then shopping around for a converter with similar numbers.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by superdave84
I'd probably go with like 2500 stall. I have 2800 stall speed in mine (4,000 lbs car, 4L60e, basically a cruiser as well, but a slightly-modified LS2 instead of a 5.3)

The guys at PI (Precision Industries) are very helpful, and they actually give you a little interview over the phone before they even build a converter for you. If you want the best of the best, it's going to run you about $850. However, before you freak out, there are plenty of other options available from other companies. I would suggest calling them though, figuring out what they suggest for your specific vehicle, and then shopping around for a converter with similar numbers.
thanks superdave

Quick Reply: do i need a converter? 1958 GMC