Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel line bends

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Fuel line bends

Building a new frame for my '39 and during the fuel line install I ran across a potential problem. While putting the filter in I connected it with a 90 degree fitting. Will this cause problems with pressure/flow? The engine is a stock 5.3, filter is stock '03 GM and lines are Dorman nylon. By the way, I like the Dorman tool to make up this lines. Ends up cheaper than my old way of 3/8" brake line and F.I. hose.
Attached Thumbnails Fuel line bends-frame-may-21-003.jpg  
Old 05-22-2015, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 929 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 33willys
Building a new frame for my '39 and during the fuel line install I ran across a potential problem. While putting the filter in I connected it with a 90 degree fitting. Will this cause problems with pressure/flow? The engine is a stock 5.3, filter is stock '03 GM and lines are Dorman nylon. By the way, I like the Dorman tool to make up this lines. Ends up cheaper than my old way of 3/8" brake line and F.I. hose.
Keep the 90 degree fittings to a minimum and you should be OK. I just did my Cougar fuel system and it has a few 90s in it and I am seeing about 55 psi at the rail, which is about 3 psi lower than what the Corvette filter is supposed to be.

Andrew
Old 05-22-2015, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 33willys
I picked up the Dorman kit to make up the tank to hard line connections on my project.

Is this http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-1645...origin=keyword

the steel fitting you have with the nylon fuel line? The steel fitting seems to me like a better choice over the plastic parts
Old 05-22-2015, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Fuel lines

Thanks for reassuring me regarding elbows and pressure. Only have the one 90 degree so I should be fine...I think.

All the fittings will be steel except the 90 degree one pictured. I get my steel fittings from the junkyard which have steel "fingers" on the inside for a positive lock. I have read on other post that the nylon fittings sometimes come loose (aftermarket stuff) so OEM is best. To remove the nylon line from the steel fittings that I get in the junkyard I use a heat gun and pull. Don't use a razor blade because it will scratch the steel and may leak. To put the line on I put the nylon line in the sun (use new line) and oil the steel fitting. Once started, make sure the line is going on straight. Mine have slipped right on nicely and gives a warm fuzzy feeling about the connection.

Quick Reply: Fuel line bends