Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

75 Nova sleeper build

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 12:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 75 Nova sleeper build

Never built a Chevy set up before and was looking for advice on doing a LS swap. Looking to make a street sleeper. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The car is all factory and I know one big thing do to for a car that old is weight reduction. After that though I'm struggling with ideas for the engine and tranny. If I do swap to an LS would swapping diffs make a difference? If so what diff? Does the driveshaft need to be cut and extended or cut down? Once again new to the Chevy build and need help.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

all depends on the model year of the car and what it came equipped with. custom driveshaft will most likely be needed, i would go with a nice LS1 u can get motor and trans off ebay for a decent price with normal mileage
Old 08-06-2015, 05:28 PM
Teching In

Came with a 350, tranny and diffs gotta look at.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

I wouldn't ever call a muscle car a sleeper, but if by "sleeper" you mean that it won't have a funny car blower and a bug catcher sticking out of the hood, then ok.

You can't go wrong sticking an LS1 in there. Grab everything you can from a LS1 camaro... Engine, transmission, rear axle and suspension. Ask lots of questions. Take lots of pictures.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:02 PM
Teching In

I have access to an ls3 or ls6. For build the engine which one would be able to put out more? Second question is electronic cut outs? How hard would they be to install?
Old 08-10-2015, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

The LS3 would be a better choice for this project, by the sounds of it. It will have the power you need without any engine work, so you can focus on the swap itself.

Electric cut-outs are easy peasy. Assuming you can weld, and aren't afraid to wire in a switch on your dashboard. Even if you cannot, any exhaust shop worth their salt should be able to have it done in a couple hours.

You can probably find TH400 transmission mounts for the nova real easy, and pick up a built TH400 for pretty cheap. A built th400 will handle all the power you can throw at it, and will be infinitely cheaper than building and installing a 4L80.

Your nova probably has a 10-bolt rear, which can be built plenty strong, if you want to keep it. Our switch to a 12-bolt, or a Ford 9", or a Ford 8.8", it's your choice. Either way, you're going to want a posi or a locker and disc brakes.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:49 PM
Teching In

Thanks David I appreciate the advice
Old 08-18-2015, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

I've got a '74 Nova 8.5" posi rear in my Camaro with a GTO LS2 and I drive it like I stole it. I don't baby the tires and I hit the rears (not gears) hard all the time.
In fact I had the 1st - 2nd shift points changed VERY slightly to hold 1st a tad longer and it bangs the shift a lot harder than I'd like. Chirps the tires at 10-15mph. I don't like it...

But my point is that this '74 rear has taken a ton of abuse and still going strong. I don't have sticky tires though, so that helps dampen the hit to the differential some. The driveshaft is new with new u-joints, and it shows no evidence of twisting or damage...yet.
I know I'm taking a chance not rebuilding it since the LS2 swap, but if it breaks, it breaks. You can keep the 8.5" rear in your Nova and just have it rebuilt. It'll save you a ton of cash and you'll know that the GM carrier in it was made rebuild-able from the factory.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

The 75-79 Nova rear is the same as the 67-69 camaro. You can use a 70-81 camaro rear but you have to relocate the axle perches inward a bit. It's a 1/2" wider each side also. I had a 78 z28 3.42 posi under my 78 Nova and it worked great.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

8.5 10 bolt rear is fine, just upgrade the axles and add a posi unit/gear if it doesn't have one
Old 08-18-2015, 12:49 PM
Teching In

Keep the stock cam because if it lopes most car guys will know something's up. If you do upgrade the cam do something really mild or a custom grind so it sounds like a worn out 305 with an RV cam. Maybe put a shitty sounding glasspack exhaust on it. Don't put a nice paint job on it, keep it ratty looking. Keep the stock steel wheels. Use whitewall tires up front and paint some whitewalls on some nicer rear tires. Drag radials may fly under the radar if the car looks slow enough. Some people, like the Factory Appearing Stock Tire guys, have gotten really good at making street radials to hook, so you could look into that.

Probably the biggest part about keeping it a sleeper in this day and age is DON'T POST ONLINE ABOUT IT OR MAKE YOUTUBE VIDEOS. Word travels fast online if someone sees a shitty looking car that hauls ***. If you go to the track, it would probably be best to travel to a track that isn't frequented by people in your area.

Quick Reply: 75 Nova sleeper build