Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at a swap Apache

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a swap Apache

Hey guys I apologize in advance but I am a total newb to LS1's and swaps and long read.
I've been looking in the country of Panama for a muscle car to do an LS1 swap for about a year. I can't find one. A guy just put one up for sale so I'm going to go look at it. I've been considering importing a swapped car or a car and donor parts. Original thought was an iron block 6 liter and 4l80 from my limited reading.

It's a 1956 Apache with a claimed 2001 Corvette LS1. I did read the LS1 and LS6 were available that year in the C5.

He claims the suspension, engine, automatic trans, etc was swapped including the rear differential. The work was done in California.

I am a diesel mechanic and used to do gas before LS1's were in play. I am into the electronics and have my tuning software for my 800hp cummins that I built. I have no problem rebuilding but our machine shops are too limited for any real tasks.

The questions that immediately go through my head are,
1. Could the original engine computer be what he used and if so would you expect tuning software to have been used to lock out unused options after the swap to not interfere or cause a no start. Like key fob's, AC, traction control etc?

2. Does the corvette have 1 controller for both engine and transmission (auto)? If so can that be swapped or did he probably use a stand alone controller type of deal.

3. With all the running gear swapped is it possible he actually retained traction control?

4. In photo's it's Apache dash. What electronic clusters would be the best and can you get trouble codes and whatnot with any or?

Ok a ton more but the guy who brought it here is not a mechanic. He bought the truck and a wrecked corvette and had somebody do the work then he did the interior. I guess I'm looking for reassurance that it can relatively easily be figured out what some guy did to do the swap.

Thanks in advance.

Edit. The primary purpose will be sunday driver and for sure drag race for fun. I would like to start out easy 12's then maybe turbo it but I still think a bigger block might be a better option.
There is a possibility to 4 link it, with a 9inch and beef up the frame, turbo it and shoot sub 10 sec.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

1. Yes use HPtuners, EFIlive to eliminate all the unwanted factory features.
2. Engine computer will control the trans
3. Not sure but I think you need the body control computer and the factory rear with sensors.

not much help but its a start
Old 11-09-2015, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Haddixj
1. Yes use HPtuners, EFIlive to eliminate all the unwanted factory features.
2. Engine computer will control the trans
3. Not sure but I think you need the body control computer and the factory rear with sensors.

not much help but its a start
Thanks, IF he used say HPtuners to program it can I use EFI live to unlock and modify tunes and switches? I know some programmers or tuning software can get vin locked or similar.

If a guy tunes a Cummins with a smarty it can be a real headache to use EFI live after words on the same ECU.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

1.Sounds like you have EFIlive,nothing you can do if the pcm was programmed with HPT,but you should be able to reflash it with a new EFIlive licence,assuming a GM PCM was used.
3.Not likely to have TC unless they used almost all of the old C5 brakes and sensors,BCM and harness under that truck.
4.Original truck oil and water sensors likely used with the original cluster,not sure how they made the speedo work,Cable-x perhaps
5.Post some pics.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:37 AM

Thanks for the replies so far.
I will figure out how to capture the photos from the add when I'm not on my cell.

I know you guys are answering my questions which is great but what else should I know or look for? I planned on buying a car then researching and doing the swap. I really don't know much about them.

How far hp wise (should) the 2001 vette setup be pushed with bolt ons?

I think the vehicle weight is not that far off but retaining the gears seems odd in a truck. If I only plan to run 12's or lucky 11's before getting into this engine I wouldn't expect the gearing is ideal for the street or strip. We don't need more than somewhere around 135mph I'd guess. I'll find out tire size.

I'll photo In person what I can. Any specific install photos that prove a hack vs right way. I know the suspension is a who knows what they did.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:39 AM

I personally don't have efi live now. I plan to someday buy efi live and pin out parallel ecm's for my truck. It would be great if I could use efi live for both.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

if it is tunerlocked you can get a compatible replacement PCM for ~$100

also I kind of doubt that it has traction control. i've only seen two swaps with working corvette traction control. you'd need the wheel speed sensors, the abs pump and the vette BCM. lots of work. if it does please post pics coz thats awesome. actually post pics anyways coz that truck sounds rad.

as far as bolt ons go are you meaning to stay NA? or "bolt on" a big turbo ?
Old 11-11-2015, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by truckdoug
if it is tunerlocked you can get a compatible replacement PCM for ~$100

also I kind of doubt that it has traction control. i've only seen two swaps with working corvette traction control. you'd need the wheel speed sensors, the abs pump and the vette BCM. lots of work. if it does please post pics coz thats awesome. actually post pics anyways coz that truck sounds rad.

as far as bolt ons go are you meaning to stay NA? or "bolt on" a big turbo ?
The website pics are horrible. I'll take some in person and post the only ones from the website when I have my computer.

I meant bolt ons and NA but I inserted my foot in my mouth.
I want to supercharge or turbo one. I have to still research which is better for our needs and budget. It doesn't make sense to modify it twice. I'd have to throw away all the pre turbo intake and exhaust stuff.

If the guy will answer the phone I may see it today.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:31 AM

Another question, I don't think efi live can install a full factory program on a PCM. How do you program the PCM or with what programmer? Or does it come factory programed? Not Vin locked? There is only 1 chevrolet dealer here who may decide they dont want to plug into the truck if the dealer is the only route. Dodge panama doesn't even have the computer to program my truck ecm (drb3).
Old 11-12-2015, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

I am not sure what efilive is or is not capable of. I went with HPtuners.

You may want to ask those questions in the PCM diagnostics and tuning section.

Quick Reply: Looking at a swap Apache