Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 Vette Driveline

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 08:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 69 Vette Driveline

Hey guys I am doing a swap on a 69 Corvette using a GMPP 425HP E-rod and a 4L60. I have the Engine and trans in the hole and now need to fab up a trans cross-member. The car was originally a 4 speed so it has the weld in trans member and somewhere along the way someone swapped in a auto trans so the cross-member has been hacked up pretty good. so there is no original reference points left.

Is there any one out there that knows where the engine and rear diff angles would be or should have been from the factory?

I poked around for a while but was unable to find any reliable information on the Vette specific Drive line angles. Do the same principles apply to the independent rear as say in a Chevelle? should I just match the front pinion angle in the opposite direction to the rear?

Thanks In advance
Old 12-29-2015, 09:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

They were pretty flat from the factory, both at about 0 degrees.
Most end up with a down angle on the motor with LS swaps, but you can push the trans as high as possible.
Changing the diff angle is complicated on the C3 IRS in matching a down angle trans to up angle diff. I was able to raise the pinion up by cutting the diff rubber front mount isolator to about 1/8" thick. No vibrations.
In theory you could match a down angle motor to down angle diff since the diff is fixed to the chassis. But I've never tried it.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by garys 68
They were pretty flat from the factory, both at about 0 degrees.
Most end up with a down angle on the motor with LS swaps, but you can push the trans as high as possible.
Changing the diff angle is complicated on the C3 IRS in matching a down angle trans to up angle diff. I was able to raise the pinion up by cutting the diff rubber front mount isolator to about 1/8" thick. No vibrations.
In theory you could match a down angle motor to down angle diff since the diff is fixed to the chassis. But I've never tried it.
Thanks for the reply I talked to the guys over at SRIII as we are in the middle of another build with one of their chassis..... Just a small block with a 90's Camaro trans..... he said they shoot for 3 degrees if possible, try to angle match and do not leave it at 0 Angle..... for the obvious loss in lubrication of the bearings.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Keep in mind, the C3 IRS with solid mounted dif is a different animal from a live rear axle that moves up and down. I was able to push my trans up as high as possible, minimizing that angle, and then raise the pinion to try to match. It's not perfect, but within 1 degree and no vibrations. There's a C3 over at vettemod that raised the pinion by modifying the front diff mount by moving the mounting holes.
And be sure to check angles on all 4 wheels. My 68 conv. flexed A LOT on jack stands.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

The front and rear u-joint operating angles need to be equal, opposite, and as small as possible (less than 3 degrees for sure), but not zero.

Andrew

Quick Reply: 69 Vette Driveline