Sponsored by:

Power/charging system plans

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 10:16 AM
Launching!

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Power/charging system plans

Here is my plan for the power/charge system. Thoughts?

Old 02-16-2016, 10:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 929 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I would run the ground wire all the way to the front and attach to the engine block. You may also want to add a power distribution point under the hood being fed by a 6 gauge wire front the starter post.

Don't forget to run the L terminal off the starter through your generator light or through a resister and the S terminal going to the power distribution block.

Andrew
Old 02-16-2016, 11:52 AM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

I should have include I was going to add a ground strap right to the starter.
You have a concern with that as opposed to wiring direct to the bat? Assuming you have a good clean ground to frame both places.

I am trying to keep engine bay super clean, so I place to run all wiring under dash, so not planning any connection points there. Still have the OEM PCM to control Alternator.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 929 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jwooky
I should have include I was going to add a ground strap right to the starter.
You have a concern with that as opposed to wiring direct to the bat? Assuming you have a good clean ground to frame both places.

I am trying to keep engine bay super clean, so I place to run all wiring under dash, so not planning any connection points there. Still have the OEM PCM to control Alternator.
I have always run a ground wire from the battery directly to the engine block. I can't state the technical reasons why, but a long time ago I read somewhere that using the frame or the body for a major load component like the starter is a no go...

You can put the power distribution block inside, no issues there. Your OEM PCM only has the L terminal, right? If so, adding the S terminal will give your alternator load sensing capability and improve overall system performance as more accessories are turned on (headlights, wipers, cooling fan, etc....).

Andrew
Old 02-16-2016, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
I have always run a ground wire from the battery directly to the engine block. I can't state the technical reasons why, but a long time ago I read somewhere that using the frame or the body for a major load component like the starter is a no go...

You can put the power distribution block inside, no issues there. Your OEM PCM only has the L terminal, right? If so, adding the S terminal will give your alternator load sensing capability and improve overall system performance as more accessories are turned on (headlights, wipers, cooling fan, etc....).

Andrew
I've never heard of this grounding issue and have never had any issues grounding a battery to a frame as long as it's a good ground. Most trunk mounted batteries are always grounded within a couple feet of the battery. I do always recommend a good ground strap from the frame to engine though.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:31 PM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

I'll have to read up on the control side of the alternator. As it stands, I have the OE setup with one wire to the PCM only.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Power/charging system

I've always used one of the starter bolts as a ground AND a jumper from there to the frame/body with star washers. According to Ron Francis "Copper is the best conductor used in cars...lets say that 100%. Brass is only 22% and steel is 12-16%. " Won't go into atom valance shell electrical theory BUT your starter may be operating on 11 volts! Electronics needs pure power. You may get it there in style but choke it going back.

Quick Reply: Power/charging system plans