Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LH6 into a-body ps pulley question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LH6 into a-body ps pulley question

I've got a 5.3 from a Rainier for my 71 Cutlass. I think I read somewhere that the PS pulley smaller on these than on conventional truck motors? Is this true? I am wondering if I am going to be able to use it as is or if I will need to swap the pulley.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by dewchugr
I've got a 5.3 from a Rainier for my 71 Cutlass. I think I read somewhere that the PS pulley smaller on these than on conventional truck motors? Is this true? I am wondering if I am going to be able to use it as is or if I will need to swap the pulley.
That's correct, the pump and pulley and bracket on your engine is different than the common truck engine set-up. Your pump is a Type2 pump and your pulley is 5.25" in diameter; the common truck pump is a P-type and uses a 6.75" diameter pulley.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Toddoky
That's correct, the pump and pulley and bracket on your engine is different than the common truck engine set-up. Your pump is a Type2 pump and your pulley is 5.25" in diameter; the common truck pump is a P-type and uses a 6.75" diameter pulley.
Great! Thanks for the confirmation.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by dewchugr
Great! Thanks for the confirmation.
No problem. Your pump and pulley should fit fine in your A-body, but the pump reservoir may end up causing you fitment issues...rigging up a remote mounted reservoir may end up being a requirement.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Toddoky
No problem. Your pump and pulley should fit fine in your A-body, but the pump reservoir may end up causing you fitment issues...rigging up a remote mounted reservoir may end up being a requirement.
Good to know. I'll add that to my notes.

Quick Reply: LH6 into a-body ps pulley question