Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator wiring w/ LS376, GM harness and Painless wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 09:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator wiring w/ LS376, GM harness and Painless wiring

I've been reading some older threads on wiring the alternator but wanted to get some extra info on what I should be doing given my situation. I am using the following:

1. LS376/480 crate motor with the corresponding GM engine controller kit
2. Painless wiring kit for 76 Camaro
3. Auto Meter electronic voltmeter, no "dummy" light will be used for the charging system

The alternator (which came with the LS376) has an "optional" single wire plugged into it from the PCM. Per the GM harness instructions, this wire is not required for operation.

So my first question is what's the purpose of the single orange wire going to the alternator?

The Painless wiring kit mentions using an "alternator exciter" wire, but my educated guess is I don't need to do this since I am using an electronic voltmeter (instead of an original voltmeter) that simply hooks up to a switched 12V power source.

Am I correct in thinking that I don't need to worry about hooking anything up the the 4-pin SILP connector on the alternator? I just need to hook up to the output post.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:50 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will need the exciter wire into the 4 pin connector. Steve
Old 05-24-2016, 11:20 AM
Teching In

Thanks. I have to assume the GM instructions mean that I don't have to use the exciter wire from the GM engine harness, but I still have to use SOMETHING. Otherwise the alternator will not charge.

Below is a snippet from the GM engine harness instructions that was throwing me off. I was interpretting it as "you don't need to plug anything into the alternator".

Old 05-24-2016, 07:26 PM
Teching In

I have a similar setup on my swap. What I did was just run one wire from the battery to the alt, then plugged in the harness which contains only 1 wire into the alt. The alt seems to be working fine battery does not die or anything. If there is a better way to set it up though that would be good to know.

Quick Reply: Alternator wiring w/ LS376, GM harness and Painless wiring